Time to Retire Pro-Tools? What's a Good Replacement?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by WWLaidback, Jun 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Garageband is free, works great and comes with usable plugins.

I thought the revised Pro Tools Free eliminated the cloud issue - check to see if it's still limiting as now I believe others with real Pro Tools can open Pro Tools First sessions and vice versa.

2. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

Studio One by Presonus. Pay for the basic (artist) or the $150 bundle. It is a complete offering at that point. The real wealth of buying into the platform is how well they document everything, the Youtube Channel is fabulous. My workflow for years has been BIAB and Studio one with Heklix as the I/O. IMHO that is a soup to nuts solution for the dedicated home Noodler.

Auherre756 likes this.
  3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Good to know. I was a long time Calkwalk user, but I haven't touched it or anything DAW in about 14 years. I dropped a lot of money on hardware, software, and plug-ins, back then that are all worthless now. I've been wanting to get back into recording, so Sonar would obviously be the most familiar to me.

4. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

If you're familiar with past versions of Sonar, you should be able to get going pretty quickly with Cakewalk by Bandlab. Cakewalk (the old Cakewalk) always seemed to include most of the old features when they added new ones to Sonar, making it seem increasingly complex to new users of DAW, but very useful to us old hands.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Reaper.

sad99, stinkey and Gaz_ like this.
  6. peeweepete

peeweepete Tele-Meister

Yep, Reaper!

Cheap and very very good!

sad99, stinkey and Gaz_ like this.
  7. Tom Quartz

Tom Quartz TDPRI Member

It's not bad! If it had timed out, I might have held off buying Ableton and Reason. That said, it's basically like comparing something like Microsoft Outlook to Novell GroupWise. Even though Novell (now Microfocus) still theoretically supports GroupWise, very few organizations are using it and there isn't much of a "creator community" that you'll find with something like Reaper, Reason, or Ableton.

8. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have been using Samplitude for a while and it works fine. I was a Cakewalk user for years and I recently downloaded the new version, it looks great and the price is right.

Digital Larry likes this.
  9. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

Gaz_ likes this.
  10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

A single article from 2017? Despite the overwhelming volume of positive reviews of Logic and GarageBand?
    I didn’t see where the OP mentioned his platform. If he has a Mac then it’s Logic hands down, no argument!
    If it’s a PC, I haven’t a clue. Reaper, ProSonus, Cuba’s, Abelton..take your pick!

TokyoPortrait and eddiewagner like this.
  11. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

GarageBand or logic.

SacDAve and tintag27 like this.
  12. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

It's a joke. The gist being that most self-produced music winds up there.

13. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Reaper is a good choice coming from ProTools if you don’t need bundled sample based instruments or software synths. It’s workflow is similar enough to Protools, although there are some differences. But although Reaper is free to try with no restrictions or sign-up required, it’s not free to use indefinitely. It’s about $60 last I checked.

Reaper is very intuitive, stable and light on the CPU. It’s routing and the fact that there are no track types won me over - every track is just a track, regardless if it’s a buss, audio track, midi track, etc. Otherwise I would have a Protools subscription (not the “free” Protools First).

There is no “light” version of Reaper. For your $60 you get everything with no track count, song length or plug-in restrictions.

If you need software instruments and absolutely want free - Cakewalk by Bandlab is the way to go. For free you don’t get a lot of instruments, but a usable sample. There’s also a lot of good free stuff out there for instruments. Last I tried Sonar Platinum, it was a fair bit heavier on the CPU than Protools or Reaper, but I did like the built in channel strip on audio tracks. I found the interface a lot more congested and less intuitive than Reaper and Protools, but that could be my lack of familiarity with the platform. Bandlab may have addressed all of this with the free version of Cakewalk, though, for all I know.

Whatever you pick, learn it well and stick with it for a while. They all work :)

mandofrog, sad99, andrewr and 2 others like this.
  14. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

mandofrog, archtop_fjk and kLyon like this.
  15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Having worked professionally on Nuendo for years I'd heartily suggest its brother, Cubase. It gives you plenty of room to grow.

Bob

ChristopherByron likes this.
  16. dannyh

dannyh Friend of Leo's

I use logic. Drummer buddy of mine just got Reaper and likes it a lot.

17. theaterguy

theaterguy TDPRI Member

Ardour 6.7, reminds a bit Pro Tools but practically free.

18. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Yeah, Logic and Garage Band don't share the same heritage at all: Logic is, basically, a descendant of the old EMagic/CLab German stuff - revolutionary programs when they first came out, the same way Ableton is now - and is absolutely great. If you have a Mac, it's a bargain.
    Garage Band is (sort of) a descendant of Acid. It isn't bad for the price, but doesn't export good audio (at the least the one time I tried to use tracks from it...) (It did, however, turn every Burner wannabe into a "producer," which can be, at times, pretty annoying...))

19. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

Logic if you're on Mac. Reaper is the most awesome deal going, for Mac or PC, at $60 for a full-fledged DAW. Also nice that you can customize the look and feel.

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I started using Logic 8 around 2008 if I recall correctly. Today’s product is far different from it’s earliest Apple (Emagic) version as you would expect. It is absolutely a bargain. I’m running the latest version off the original $200 I paid in 2013 or 2014.
    I am pretty sure GarageBand is Logic’s child. It’s simply a stripped down version of Logic with clever music creation tools for the non-musician. Many of the DAWs allow wannabes to be “producers”. From what I’ve read Abelton and FL Studio are favorites of the beat makers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.