Time to Retire Pro-Tools? What's a Good Replacement?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by WWLaidback, Jun 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WWLaidback

WWLaidback TDPRI Member

I got a free basic-version of Pro-Tools with my Focusrite Scarlett. I was working on a recording project file for weeks. Then "poof" out of the clear blue it's gone. That was the last straw. I didn't like Ableton either.

Anyway, I don't record enough to pay for a full-blown subscription, and I DO NOT like the way ProTools forces me to use a cloud collaboration-service that I don't need, and randomly decides what I can keep.

I need a new DAW to interface with my Fosusrite. Anybody have a recommendation? Thanks much.

[​IMG]

2. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

As I posted in the past, a Tascam Digital Portastudio or comparable Zoom model will provide years of reliable recording and it ALWAYS works.

Maguchi, skypilot, Jwalker99 and 3 others like this.
  3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been using Logic Pro for over a decade and really like the workflow. It's Mac only, though.

4. Frodebro

Until it doesn't. I made the switch to a computer-based DAW when my Korg 32 track digital recorder took a dump on me just out of warranty.

Jwalker99 likes this.
  5. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

^^^ What he said, if you're on a Mac. ... Also, I've been thru the Tascam wars and can only say, from my experience, find a DAW you're comfortable with.

tintag27, eddiewagner and getbent like this.
  6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I'll be the first to suggest Reaper.

belleswell, KCKC, Matt G and 28 others like this.
  7. Tom Quartz

Tom Quartz TDPRI Member

I was a faithful Sonar user for a lot of years, until Gibson road it hard an put it away wet, and I found myself looking for a new DAW prior to Bandlab's acquisition. I mostly use Ablelton but if you're not a fan, then check out Reason. While originally known exclusively as a software synth, it's a full-fledged DAW now and really robust. Bonus features include the fact that it's not particularly resource intensive on the CPU, so an older PC or Mac will handle it just fine. It also supports VST3 plugins and multiple-take comping.

StuH, TeleCarlos and WWLaidback like this.
  8. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Reaper - but only if you want to pay a lot less for something a lot better and have a developer who will fix any bug you find by tomorrow)))

belleswell, Mad Kiwi, ponce and 16 others like this.
  9. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

So is the new 'free' Sonar terrible? I was thinking about checking it out.

10. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Cool beans with a DAW is all the SAMPLED INSTRUMENTS available at your fingertips with any MIDI keyboard.

I'm using Logic Pro (Mac, of course) and love it. But there are plenty of DAWs out there for whatever floats yer boat.

Did I mention sampled instruments and midi keyboarding? Oh [email protected]!

TeleCarlos and Frodebro like this.
  11. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Not familiar with Korg except a tuner I had in the late 80’s. My Tascam’s have as yet to let me down. Use them until I sell them to trade up. Best part is Windows or Mac operating system updates don’t reek havoc. YMMV

Mad Kiwi and Maguchi like this.
  12. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

13. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I bought a CD for an old version of sonar producer for $25 on ebay. No cloud, no subscription, no updating, no unwanted changes.

Skyhook likes this.
  14. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

REAPER.

Nelg, ponce, mandofrog and 5 others like this.
  15. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

I'm actually enjoying it. But I've spent 20 years on various versions of Sonar and I'm used to its workflow and how the GUI is laid out. But on the flip-side, just about everything (aside from some plugins) from those 20 years is there in the free version of Cakewalk, so the learning curve could be a bit steep. But given the cost of admission, it's certainly worth giving it a spin.

16. Frodebro

Oh-one of my favorite things about Logic Pro is how seamlessly everything works together in the Apple Ecosystem. It takes just a couple of keystrokes to export a project into my iTunes file, which automatically uploads into my phone. Prior to that, I would have to burn it onto a CD, then take it from there to check the mix on various systems. My car stereo and home stereo are both automatically linked by Bluetooth to my phone, so I can check things very quickly without having to have a pile of blank discs lying around.

17. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Reaper is very good, seen it in use in broadcast studios etc and users tell me it's great.

18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's killer.
    Still the best DAW on the planet.
    All I use.
    (I have been a Sonar user since 2000)

Bobbyoso and mfguitar like this.
  19. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Troubleandahalf likes this.
  20. NW_TELE

NW_TELE TDPRI Member

I have used Pro Tools 5 days a week for the last 12 years in game audio production and it's always been very reliable for me. Not sure where the forced cloud-colloberation you mention is from. Anyways, as others have mentioned Logic is a good option and for the price it's very hard to beat. Especially for the stock plugins and synthesis if you are interested in that. For editing and automation i don't love it. I find it much slower. If you are familiar with PT, Reaper is another good option. You can get super deep with that program.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.