1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Time to humidify

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Nov 29, 2020.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I got my humidifier out and it’s already chewed up 1 gallon of water, in a day it pumped a gallon of water into the air in the basement. It’s that time. Protect your loved ones. About five years ago we went to Mexico to go scuba diving and back in those days I had in case humidifiers. And 0M 16 that I played at my parents 50th wedding anniversary and church cracked. There was a crack from the bridge all the way down to the lower about it made me feel so bad. Of all the guitars that I had it was the Martin that I played at my parents 50th anniversary. Get some moisture in your guitar room and protect your loved ones. I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving. Peace and love.

2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yup
    Notice the action getting higher on hollow bodies here.

3. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

This will be my first winter with my Martin, so I got an in-case humidifier with a Bluetooth temperature/humidity transmitter. It’s been tracking at 49% and low seventies since I put it in, so fingers, eyes, and legs crossed.

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

No thanks. My 100+ year old examples predate humidifiers, lol. No desire for high maintenance...anything.

5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a whole house humidifier. Even with that during some extremely cold, dry winter conditions the humidity in the house sometimes dips down to the 30s. My guitars, acoustics, archtops and solid bodies all hang on the walls. Among them are a 45 year old D 18 and a 68 year old es 125. No cracks or issues. The only issue I have is that my Tele's neck seems to need a tweak, but that's it. I think that as long as there are no sudden humidity or temperature changes you are OK.

6. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m presently staying in a Fairfield Inn in Sulphur, LA. My room is equipped with a DE-humidifier which has to be the noisiest appliance ever built by mankind. There’s no escaping it in the tiny room.

I look forward to getting home to the north country and dealing with some dry, silent air.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  7. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Just started to crank up the humidifier in my guitar room yesterday. Thx for the advice!

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Acoustics :

action gets lower in the winter, higher in the summer

my buddy the luthier has summer saddles and winter saddles for his acoustics.

he also files fret ends in the winter and hates the term “fret sprout”, pointing out, correctly, it should be referred to as “neck shrinkage” or “fretboard Costanza”

9. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

My guitar room as at 42% rh right now.

My concern isn't the dry winter so much as the humid summer swelling up the wood. When it contracts back to normal is when I think the cracks happen.

So, I need to keep the humidity down in the summer as much as keep it up in the winter.

10. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

What’s a recommended % humidity for guitars? Recently moved my gear to the basement (great acoustics!), but don’t want to damage anything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.