Time to Hit the Woodshed!

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by ddewerd, Sep 22, 2021.

1. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

After almost 2 years of just about nothing music-wise, the flood gates have opened, and I'm swamped!

My long time (20+ years) band has been struggling. We haven't done a gig in almost 2 years, although we try to get together about once a month to keep our chops up. But we've also been hampered by our drummer who is battling cancer. He finished chemo a couple of months ago, and then had to have back surgery last month.

We have our first gig in 2 years coming up next month - our 16th year of playing at the local festival and BBQ cookoff. It's always been one of the highlights of our already sparse gigs, so we've been trying to practice every week. But our drummer is struggling a bit (completely understandable), and we don't really have an option for a replacement. He's being a trooper about it and we'll make it through - if he can't make it through a full set, the bass player and I can do some duo stuff.

And then.... my old college band is getting together in November. We had planned this for a year and a half ago, but it's been postponed several times. I played with a couple of the guys about 20 years ago, but there's 2 more that I haven't seen in almost 40. We're doing a bunch of old classic rock that we used to play, but I haven't played many of these songs in a long time! And I'm singing and doing solos on stuff I've never done before.

2 years ago, when we first had scheduled the reunion, I had put in a fair amount of time working on the material. But then as things kept getting postponed, it all kind of dropped to the wayside.

So now I'm honing my current band's 40 or so songs we'll play at the cookoff, and relearning almost 30 songs for the reunion.

When it rains, it pours, but I guess I'd rather be busy than not!

Cheers,
    Doug

dougstrum, RodeoTex and drewg like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We had some gigs earlier in the year. But boy oh boy the rust was heavy! Then I seemed to take a leap, maybe time off was good. Shut down again now for a while.

3. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

+100 on the rust part!

My biggest problem isn't with actually playing the parts, it's remembering what order they come in, and all the little fills and embellishments. I'm in a trio, so I really have to nail the starts of solos and fills as there's no one else to lean on. Let me think, is the solo after the 2nd chorus or the 3rd? I think the 3rd - whoops, I guess it was the 2nd after all!

Maybe I need some of this

upload_2021-9-22_9-57-28.png

Cheers,
    Doug

drewg likes this.
  4. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

Congrats, Doug! Great to have projects to work on. Best of luck to your drummer!

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Woodshedding, oddly, is a source of fun for me. I picked up sub gigs with two bands this summer, and between them I had to learn almost 30 songs that I'd never played before.

But I enjoy adding songs to my personal song list and I like it when a situation pushes me out of my comfort zone. I can always use them again later if I need to.

Good luck on your reunion! In the immortal words of Brisbane from the Little Rascals - 'Learn that pome!' :p

- D

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  6. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

5 years into retirement I'm playing better than ever. I've got three bands going and I've met two guys in their 20 who are going in deep.

Playing with the old band members is rewarding

Have a blast.

7. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

Rust never sleeps.

Both of my bands got back together for a few gigs this summer (although things are shutting down again with increasing cases now). We were rusty (one band more than the other) but it was fun woodshedding our old songs all over again (both in band practices and on my own) as well as writing and learning new songs. I'm looking forward to whenever we start playing together for gigs again.

Enjoy your upcoming gigs! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.