Time to go...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Find a way to spend a week there. It’s hard, but easier than changing your mind after moving. I have one of my oldest friends there the last 50 years and he loves it.

buster poser likes this.
  2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My wife and I were living in an decent place, had friends and relatives, but still we knew it was time to go. We moved to another country. Best thing we ever did.

telemnemonics and buster poser like this.
  3. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

A lot of people I know are bailing from Houston. I could make more money and control more how I worked if I was to move there, but I’ll never do it.

4. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

good luck nubs... time to pack up

5. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Best wishes moving someplace (anyplace) else. I lived in
    Houston back in the 1970s. I left when I decided that I couldn't bear the humidity, traffic, the almost constant smell of sulphur near my workplace, and it seems that every few years, we'd be in the crosshairs of a destructive storm. Cool museums and major league sports
    were okay, but couldn't make me want to stay. Tough decision, but I think I did the right thing.

6. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

… for its feeling, not the literal meaning of the lyric.

7. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

I've lived all over the USA. We moved to near Chattanooga, TN in 2009 and will never move anywhere else.

It's a perfect state in many ways.

Nubs likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Folks look for different things. Hope you find yours!

9. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I like Nashville, my son and I travel there whenever the KC Chiefs play the Titans. I like the Chiefs and he likes the Titans and we've attended most of their matchups, we're going again the next time they meet in October.

The first time I went to Nashville was in 1977 and I can tell you the town has undergone a transformation in the past decade. Real estate and living costs are through the roof and many historic locations have been snatched up and torn down for condos and high rise apartments. That would be my only concern in moving there. Some have likened it to what has happened to Austin. If I were to move there I'd look at the surrounding areas like Franklin, Smyrna or Mt. Juliet. When we go we avoid lower Broadway at all costs and tend to stay near the Opryland complex for music and entertainment.

Here's a recent battle that the good guys won: https://www.tennessean.com/story/mo...ke-passionate-pitch-save-rca-studio/11319531/

Good luck to you in whatever you do. I'm also a credit union guy and have friends in credit unions in Houston. There are several notable CUs in middle Tennessee, maybe they could use a good IT person.

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

My kids were both born in Tennessee and I loved living in Nash Vegas.
    It’s transient now so it would be easy to make friends. Tomatoes are 10 times better than they are in Texas. Avocados are 2X more cost and barbecue basically is mushed meat with ketchup in Central Tennessee.
    4 seasons but the one that sucks is pretty short. Leaves change, beautiful in autumn.
    When my kid finishes HS this year there is a strong possibility I’ll move there because she (Mrs. Floor) has opportunities and I work remote.
    I really love Tennessee. I love Texas too but if I leave ATX I could be happy there. Plus if you come from Tejas you won’t be a carpetbagger haha.
    Oh, no TexMex. There are Chuy’s but it’s not what you think. Just eat tomatoes. And peaches. And Prince’s chicken. You’ll be fine.

11. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

Nashville is awesome. It’s growing rapidly. For better or worse, depending on your perspective.

by rapidly, I mean I didn’t visit in 2020, and earlier this year, parts were almost unrecognizable.

it’s the only big city I’d consider moving to. Lots to do, never boring.

I think Nashville 10 years ago was the perfect place for me. It’s the hot city now, and it’s bustling more than ever. It was the big city but still felt like a small city. Starting to be just a big city.

like I said, can be better or worse, depending on your perspective.

I can’t imagine what the housing market is like in the nice areas in Franklin. Probably very expensive.

12. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Go for it! We visited Nashville one year ago and I really liked the city and the whoie music vibe. Also lots of beautiful outdoor destinations from there.

13. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I used to want to move to the greater Nashville area. Still do in some ways. Used to travel there a lot for work about 20 years ago, and from everything I've read/heard/seen it's a very different place now because of the explosive growth. Used to feel like a big small city (or a small big city). Now it's just a sprawling big city.

But to be able to walk into a little club or restaurant on a Thursday night and watch Guthrie Trapp or Tom Bukovac play - man, I'd like that.

There are some cultural aspects that might be VERY different for me but I'd like to think that I wouldn't allow that to matter.

14. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

time to say goodbye

you should really hear this live sometime, its over powering...

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Good luck with the move, hope you find your happy place!

My wife and I consider leaving Southern coastal Maine now and then, looked at Austin but there's some negatives there as everywhere.
    Nashville looks cool in some ways, and so do a couple of cities in Georgia and Carolina, which have the added bonus of the coast which we love.

But damned if it's possible to know how we will like a new city or town without living there a while and really giving it a shot.
    Seems like the publicity around a city is not the regular folks who will be our community if we live there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.