Time to go...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

...no I'm not talking about leaving the forums. I don't play guitar anymore, but this place is just too cool to leave.

After 10 years of being here in Texas, all the signs are on the wall that it's time to move on. Work has become insufferable...neighbors around me suck...no friends or family close by...can't find people to regularly jam with...

It's time to go.

Speaking with my family, one of the cities which recently attracted me is Nashville. From a social perspective, it would check a lot of boxes for me:

1. Much more active music scene: It would probably be pretty easy to find a band that needs a drummer and get some regular play time in.
    2. Family close by: I have relatives who are very active and involved in the city who I could spend time with
    3. HOCKEY!!: I haven't seen a live hockey game in I can't remember how long and it's driving me BONKERS!!!!!!! There's NOTHING down here for hockey anymore!
    I am actively looking for an IT position there (I'm at a credit union now) and would like to get feedback from those who live in the area.

What are some good things you like about living there? What don't you like? Any other suggestions?

Thanks all! It's getting too much for me to be here anymore.

2. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

It does sound like it might be time for you to go. Family, friends and neighbors are essential, as are the things you love to do.
    I can’t speak about Nashville, but I often hear Austin is another hoppin place, musically. Alas, no pro hockey...

GGardner likes this.
  3. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

[Until it’s Time for You to Go- Buffy Sainte Marie]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    tery and brookdalebill like this.
  4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

Well in spite of all you've gained,
    You still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
    One last voice is calling you
    And I guess it's time you go.

best of luck. don't come to Alaska... you'll hate it.

I got a cat named Nubs... he got no tail

telemnemonics, Dan German and Nubs like this.
  5. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

Also, you're moving near this, Noshville Delicatessen. Matzah Ball Soup in winter, Pastrami Reuben in summer. Then, the Honkey Tonks. Is Brazilbilly still playing?
    [​IMG]

Nubs and tery like this.
  6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Go for it. I recently moved literally only 12 miles away from my old address, and I'm away now from living next to a major A road in the UK, the silence is deafening lol. I'm now living in a small well looked after village, with nice dog walks, good show and cafes.
    I know your move will be bigger, but sometimes you have to take the bull by the horns and better your life. Good luck.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

At least with IT you can work almost anywhere. A lot of certain
    metro areas are getting swamped. That may be in the new unaffordable
    housing areas. Ask the black keys..lol

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My mate, whom I lay guitar with, has a son who plays and sings well. He's an Aussie working in Austin and says it has a lively music scene.
    Goog luck and fun on your travels.

9. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Time to go indeed. I lived in Texas twice and both times the best view of Texas was in my rearview mirror.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My grandson moved to Austin at the beginning of this year, and I understand the only place in Texas that has worse traffic, congestion, and high cost of housing than DFW is Austin. What good is a great music scene if it takes an hour and a half to drive the ten blocks to get there? (slight exaggeration) Ft Worth has a lot of musicians, but it's still tough to find the "right ones" to play with. Good luck, and I hope you find the right place. (getting out of Houston is a good start)

telemnemonics and ukepicker like this.
  11. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck wherever life takes you! Hope our paths can cross again.

Take care...

12. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Just follow the signs .

upload_2021-9-22_9-14-22.jpeg

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

A coworker of my best friend moved from Silicon Valley to Nashville a few years ago just for the music scene and loves it. Sounds like the perfect choice for you. Change can be scary, but change is almost always good in the long run.

Maybe the change will inspire you to pick up the guitar again.;)

Good luck on you journey.

14. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Friend of Leo's

I've never lived there, but I've always enjoyed the times I've visited NashVegas. Great music scene of course, good nightlife, Hot Chicken, lots of young folks which I think is important to a City's vibrancy. Depending on your preferences, it has better weather than Houston since you get 4 distinct seasons but are still far south enough to avoid any truly cold winters.

Personally, between the unbearable weather and traffic you couldn't pay me to live in Houston, but of course lots of folks say the exact same thing about Atlanta so it's all subjective.

Good luck!

swervinbob and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Michigan is beautiful but I’d go where my family is.

16. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

So if it's all been said and done
    I gotta move I had my fun
    Let me walk before they make me run

17. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

If you don’t like living where you are, living there will kill you. I visited 49 states and 40 countries by the time I retired and my wife and I decided to stay put. There’s plenty to like and what we don’t like is either just as bad elsewhere or we can deal with it. If where you’re living doesn’t meet your needs, it won’t meet them any better 10 years from now and the stress of living there will get worse. If Nashville will be better, pack up and move. If Nashville stops working for you, pack up and move again. Life’s too short to be miserable in a place you don’t want to be.

18. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted

Well good luck

19. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Good luck, I left Texas at 19 and never looked back.

RE: Nashville, I read something on Twitter or IG the other day by a guy who does walking tours and he says they've been overrun by these "bike tavern" type of operations (see also open-top drinking 'tour' buses, etc), and he says they play music (never country, he says) so loud that his groups can't hear him speak over his mic/speaker setup.

No idea how accurate that is, but something to consider if you're moving there for "the scene." I hate areas that get like that--touristy, crowded, and all-day drunk--usually precedes a collapse.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. ukepicker

ukepicker Friend of Leo's

Good luck to ya. Choose wisely.

I'm a Texan. Born, raised, and both sides of the family go back before statehood. I've spent most of my life here. But I've also lived in other places, so has my wife.

We are also educated, motivated and independent thinkers.

This morning was the first time I've seen anything on the wall about leaving this state. We are close to family, close to our home town, and we live in a great neighborhood with great neighbors. But the times are a-changing. Both of our jobs are virtual now. The only thing holding us here is my exwife and her right to see the kids one night a week (which is often too hard for her) and every other weekend. If she ever moves, we'll be free and will get the heck out of here. In the meantime, we will try to make the best of it.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.