1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Time To Cover My Basses

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by highdive, Mar 19, 2016.

1. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

I've been wanting to put together a bass for a while now and I found a guy on CL selling two necks for the grand total of $35.

One is long scale and made of nice birdseye maple with a killer looking fretboard. Never drilled or installed, apparently. Headstock was cracked and repaired (not by me) and sprayed over to hide the fix.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The other is a Kay short scale (YAY!) and is gonna need some work. This may be my first attempt at a re-fret. One of those "everstraight" laminated jobbers. I love it

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Donor body #1 for the short scale.

[​IMG]

ANd donor #2, after I finish stripping it, of course

[​IMG]

2. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Made some progress on the short scale. BONUS Telecaster content: This body is an old Fender Bullet that originally had the metal pickguard with integrated tailpiece from the early 80's. (?)

I stripped and veneered the top, badly. Applied some danish oil and a coat of satin poly to protect it while I strip and refinish the back and sides. I had to fill in the neck pocket a bit to fit the narrow neck.

[​IMG]

I felt like this was the perfect bridge for this build, but the spacing was too wide. So I spent the day making this rosewood saddle which I kind of like and it furthers the danelectro vibe that I'm stuck on, for better or worse.

[​IMG]

I've got the neck refretted, leveled and polished up. We'll see how good a job I did when I get some strings on. I also sanded down and dyed the fingerboard while I had the frets out.

[​IMG]

Reamed out the tuner holes and installed Gotoh compact tuner on there. Also a new nut. The back of the neck is sanded down to a satin sheen and feels great. Very happy with the neck. Just needs side position markers to be done.

[​IMG]

nick0 likes this.
  3. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

We likes the Kays!!!

4. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Finished up the short scale bass in case anyone is watching. I had to make another saddle and reconfigure the string anchor locations. Worked out pretty well. Finish is just OK with walnut danish oil under wipe-on poly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn thing plays great. The tele pickup sounds cool but I might put a lipstick in there at some point. The controls are volume and mid-shift.
    The mid control is passive, made by Rothstein guitars. Works great here. Rolled up gives the tone more punch and rolled back it gets into acoustic bass territory.

[​IMG]

The back. Didn't spend too much time here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One more

[​IMG]

ModerneGuy likes this.
  5. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I think that looks great.

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Sweet! You'll get more grunt out of tall bobbin custom Tele neck pup than a lipstick. If you want to try winding one, I'd be happy to answer any technical questions.
    Rob

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Looks great. Dig it! That's some mighty fine work. Thanks for posting photos.

8. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Thanks all. I did some recording last night and am very pleased with the range of tones I can get with this setup. I might have to consider going with a noiseless option for the pickup, or do more shielding.

The neck is fantastic. Chunky, but very easy to get around on. Action is perfect and no buzzes or dead frets. I was a bit worried as I had never done a fret replacement job before and I had a bit of backbow with the truss rod relaxed when the new frets went in. But it straightened up nicely.

Yay Kay!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.