Time sink Hobbies that compete with guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by pinchegil, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Watchin' College and Pro Football. Takin' the wife out for dinner after she comes home from a hard day at work (I don't work no more). Go to the gym 3 times a week for about an hour each time. Other than that, just play guitar 3-5 hours a day, read about new pedals, amps and guitars. BTW, the Fender Mod Shop has solid rosewood necks again, and I am interested. I wish they would offer swamp ash bodies again also. Oh well, one step at a time.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/telecaster/0181901706.html

RobRiggs and pinchegil like this.
  2. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

That’s what I hear but I’ll cry if I have to sell my boat.

P Thought and pinchegil like this.
  3. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Thanks, lot of welding and engineering went into it(another hobby....sigh)

Alex_C likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Beer .... pffffft. That was the 90s.
    00s was wine.
    Bourbon is the thing now. Beer skills transfer ;) but you gotta keep it on the down low.
    Buy the cheapest big bottle of vodka you can find and then char oak sticks/cubes to age it with and you'll have some mighty fine custom aged stuff.

Lately I've been restoring old tractors. Everyone has exotic cars in their garages. Have a working tractor restoration project and it can do real work.

These have about 50% more horsepower than the typical Ford-N series most are familiar with.
    [​IMG]
    They also count as cures to hyperinflation and food shortages because you can plow a huge garden and plant enough food, grain, and corn to make trade goods with. Now you're a proper prepper ;)

Beer is a great start though. Line up supply lines for grain and learn to malt it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  5. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Too many hobbies and not enough time. My guitar time is about an hour a day. More for my mental health than anything. I reload 45acp. Typically about 3-500 rounds a month. I cast my own slugs.
    I’m also a retired mechanic and fabricator. I build stock and hot rodded VWs for myself and friends. Currently looking for a body to run on the Salt Flats. 100

RobRiggs, Jim622 and pinchegil like this.
  6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Travel and going to the theatre are on hold for obvious reasons, but there is still reading, writing, and photography.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    pinchegil likes this.
  7. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Fishing, mainly seafishinh now I am based a few miles from the Mediterranean coast, it seems very exotic just to say that.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

pinchegil likes this.
  8. fasthand

fasthand Tele-Meister

.22 LR pistol shooting
    I try to get to the range once a week
    When I’m there I see most folks shooting much larger calibers at bad guy and zombie silhouettes close distance
    I tend to shoot at 1” diameter circles on 8-1/2 x 11 paper at 7 to 12 yards
    My father 83 shoots small caliber precision rifle at 50 yards he would shoot greater distance but has trouble with walking to set and retrieve the targets

pinchegil likes this.
  9. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I started with Daggerfall in the late 90s, and somehow skipped all the (good) stuff until Oblivion. Played that pretty solidly until Skyrim came out, which I've put the most time into of the three. I'll pick up Skyrim every now and again, and forget what I was doing. So I'll start a new character, then play for a bit, start losing interest, then take a break. Then I come back forget what I was doing... wash rinse repeat. It's amazing that Bethesda keeps re-releasing Skyrim. I haven't looked to see if there's any new developments on Elder Scrolls VI yet. Release dates, locations. Last I read people were speculating a return to Daggerfall. That'd be interesting.

I also started playing Minecraft in Alpha. I and most of my friends were pretty hardcore on the modded servers, and it was a blast. These days I'm on a vanilla server pinned to 1.7 with a different group of friends and it's fun, but doesn't quite have the same pizzazz as before.

Yeah, I've thought about learning COBOL as well, and for the same reason. I've never played with Pascal.

I also wrote bash scripts on my Minecraft servers to start up the MC server, shut it down at 3:00am, do a world backup, upload the compressed backup to a Bitcache ring, start the MC Server back up, etc. That was all back on Slackware (BSDInit) or Debian in the SysVinit days. I haven't done it since the switchover to systemd. The latter being a subject that, in spite of me being on the losing side, is software and philosophy I disagree with. Meanwhile, I would suggest Python3 (not 2, don't listen to those idiots following Shaw) over Perl. Both are very capable languages, but Perl is sort of dying. It has its stalwart hold-outs, but it looks much less future-proof than Python. That said, everybody and their dog noodles on Python these days, so Perl might be like COBOL one day soon- if you're the last guy in the state who can maintain their old scripts and keep the system chugging along, you can probably name your price.

I admire your persistence with the SS amp ideas. I built several, many of which sounded good and I tweaked on them a little, but I never truly optimized any of them. Now that I've made the jump to tube amps I have less desire to play with SS amps, though that will probably change after the honeymoon is over. I've got a few stompbox ideas to try still. Someday.

edvard, pinchegil and Phrygian77 like this.
  10. stomped box

stomped box Tele-Meister

I wish flyfishing were competing with my guitar for my time but that has not been the last couple seasons. Historically, like life-long, that's been the way. Recent times, it's been remodel project/guitar fighting over the scraps real life leaves behind.

pinchegil likes this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to love that game, the analog version with the wooden army pieces. I was good at it, too. There's nothing better than the feeling of winning at Risk, or worse than the agony of losing!

Torren61 likes this.
  12. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

Dude right on! Wish I could paint like that! I love that last one!! I can paint. But it’s the spray variety.

One of my first successful paint jobs.
    4AC51C6B-C779-4730-A9CA-760EC459FF44.jpeg A4625E8D-86F2-4FAC-941E-D1846FD90396.jpeg

DekeDog and pinchegil like this.
  13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Well, feel free to visit and look for Torren61. Warzone.com (Multi player, open games, real time) Look for Two Minute Boot game. I usually start a game first thing in the morning here which is around 6am PST.

I took the original game and adjusted the continent bonuses. Asia gets 7, EU gets 6, N.A. gets 5, Africa gets 4, S.A, gets 3 and AU gets 2. Each victory gets you one third of a card with a ten army bonus for one card. Four against four free for all. Random starts for each player with 5 armies on three territories. Neutral armies of 1 on the remaining territories. 2 minute time limit to complete your turn or you get booted. Makes for a fast game for one sit down. Most of the time one hour or less. Players who get booted or surrender with armies remaining become A.I.s and they don't surrender so you have to completely dominate the map in order to win.

I have a 50% win rate.

P Thought likes this.
  14. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I'm the son of a carpenter, so I like to build things. That explains my man-cave basement. My background is in electronics, so amplifiers are high on my list. I've built a few guitars and many pedals. I have notebooks full of designs, and that occupies my idle time while I should be 'working'.

HiFi has kind of faded away, but I still own the equipment and still enjoy listening while sitting in the dark with a glass of scotch. It's become more of a winter activity. Summers are short here, so motorcycles rule.

pinchegil likes this.
  15. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That really does sound like fun, but nope, not for me. I'm a purist, won't even play the board game with plastic pieces. I wish I'd saved our family's copy from my mom's house before she moved; maybe I'll track one down someday somewhere. . . .

pinchegil likes this.
  16. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Really nice work, DekeDog! I really like them!

pinchegil and DekeDog like this.
  17. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I have a soft spot for neglected Ducatis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recently retired and have three project bikes in the shop right now, plus one functional bike that needs to be converted from track ready back to a street bike.

I also have non-project bikes that take up time.

I'd like to start spending more imte trying to learn how to play guitar but the bikes keep drawing me in.

DugT, pinchegil and Engine Swap like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.