Time sink Hobbies that compete with guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by pinchegil, Sep 4, 2021.

1. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

stepvan, SparkleFart and hemingway like this.
  2. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

Worrying about the pile of projects I've got started and haven't finished.

stepvan, Matthias, hemingway and 2 others like this.
  3. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Summertime
    I have to get in all of the backpacking / fishing I can.
    upload_2021-9-4_8-30-43.jpeg

When I was getting rained on the other night, I was thinking I’d have been better off at home with my guitar.
    upload_2021-9-4_8-31-52.jpeg

upload_2021-9-4_8-34-11.jpeg

upload_2021-9-4_8-34-56.jpeg

upload_2021-9-4_8-38-2.jpeg

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I used to play a card game called vtes, but the amount of time I'm at work killed most of my freetime. by about 2019, guitar was the only extra thing I had time for. I am looking forward to playing vtes tournaments after the plague finally lifts, but I'll be running decks that have sat for a few years, not building new ones (no time to test).
    Over the years I've been into many nerd hobbies, and some video games. Also guns (pretty much exclusively handguns. Always felt more challenging). Guitar takes less $$ to enjoy that guns, especially with ammo prices right now. I dont need at least 3-4 other people to jam, like I do for a game of vtes(its like setting up a 5pc band practice....).

So my time consuming employment means I can only pick one thing, and its guitar. I could probably aim for another thing, but my house wouldn't stay clean and I wouldn't be interacting with my kids like I enjoy.

So yea, pretty much just guitar in the present......

pinchegil likes this.
  5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Photography (Kodachrome 64), SCUBA Diving, shooting, and golf were my biggest hobbies
    I no longer have a working camera (outside of my phone) but miss photography
    Golf was a great thing until one day it wasn’t. I quit soon after that
    I still love to shoot but don’t get much of a chance.
    SCUBA Diving when I get the chance. Unfortunately, those days are few and far between. I miss the 300-350 dives a year

hemingway and pinchegil like this.
  6. miguelalmeida

miguelalmeida Tele-Meister

Home plants got huge since I started to really take care of them when the pandemic started. I also got many more different species.So they became a much loved hobby.
    Also painting (@hemingway great painting) in oils when I get some work.

hemingway, beanluc and pinchegil like this.
  7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Astronomy. It makes a BIG dent in my guitar (and forum-hopping) time…

pinchegil likes this.
  8. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

Looking at deer up close
    [​IMG]
    race mower project
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    one of my biggest time sink is fixing tools found on faceplant marketplace

donrichfan, Archtops and pinchegil like this.
  9. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Most of my hobbies are guitar related.

[​IMG]

In another life, about 20 years ago, I was into amateur radio for a while, and planted tropical freshwater aquariums. A little more recently, for a period, I enjoyed working on cars. I put a lot of hours into an E46 BMW.

I could have easily gotten into brewing beer, but I could foresee a basic limited setup not being adequate.

10. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Afflicted

I feel so boring. The only hobby I have outside of guitar is running. I used to bicycle a LOT, but I've hardly ridden for the last two years. I feel like I can get a harder workout in less time by running.

Alex_C and pinchegil like this.
  11. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Funnily enough, I was about to start this same thread myself, I just figured that what I do isn't that interesting, so I had little to offer.

1) I dabble in electronics, and this mostly goes hand-in-hand with guitar. I.e., building stompboxes or SS amplifiers. I've recently made the jump to tube amplifiers, and that's been eating almost all of my free time lately. I was about to shut the computer down, put on some surf music and work on the current build prior to seeing this thread. I'm only on my second build, but as they say "you start planning the next build or two before you finish the first one".

2) I dabble in programming languages. This is something I wish I had more time to spend on, because I really enjoy it and I think I've got the right aptitude and mindset. Not saying I'm super smart or anything, but it seems to 'fit' my skills and interests very well. Most recently I had been playing with C++, and I like it. Prior to that it was Java, which I also liked, but the whole time I was secretly wishing it were natively compiled, I could control memory management and it was lower on resources. In other words, I was secretly wishing it was C++. Honorable mentions of the past were Perl, Python and C, the latter of which ties in with #1 in the realm of programming AVR and PIC microcontrollers. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a robotics engineer. Math and lack of funds to go to college killed that early on.

3) Video games. I've burned untold hours in Minecraft (mostly on a co-opped server with other people) and on World of Warcraft Classic. This is also something I wish I had more time to spend on, as I enjoy them but they're both an incredible timesink. You can burn up an entire weekend in WoW and only incrementally advance your character and gear.

4) School. This is the big one that gets in the way of everything. The last few years I've been going to school part-time while working full time. I'm nearing the end, so the last few semesters have been culminating everything together and are thus pretty intense. My life was basically go to work, then do school, then go to bed M-F, then Sat and Sun were mostly schoolwork. I have one semester left (an internship, actually) and it is only offered in the Spring, so I've got a free summer and free autumn. I worry that by time I go do the internship I'll have forgotten everything about AWS and Cloud Formation Templates. I've always been an under-achiever and at other times a downright failure. I hope to break the cycle but we'll see. I also have doubts about shifting from a 'kind of IT job' to an actual IT job in my late 40s. Ageism is king in this industry, and there are other factors becoming prominent in the field (as younger people rise through the ranks) that will discriminate against me more. Fingers crossed.

I have one of these too, but I don't think that retirement will be an option for me. Hopefully it'll turn into a desk job eventually so I don't have to stack servers and move around pallets of stuff anymore.

DekeDog, edvard, pinchegil and 2 others like this.
  12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

My hobbies in the past have always been sedentary type activities - reading, philately, numismatics, film, music (choir, singing, playing, etc.), and things related to my faith. For a 10 year period it was a regular workout regime at a fitness centre, this brought on by health issues. Now those issues have moved to the forefront and I have no time sink hobbies other than television and the internet, both of which I'm trying to limit. Retirement hasn't been the golden age for me the way it has for some people, but I have no complaints. If I can't do something I sleep.

13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

That home-brew rig in the OP is sweet.

P Thought and pinchegil like this.
  14. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

laying out/building synth and pedal boards. lots of 8 hour nights spent in the garage tinkering, troubleshooting or building.

sure, it's musically related, and designing the system i work in is part of my creative process.

but it doesn't help that you can't just think about music and rules/parameters. you need to get stuff under your fingers. even with electronic music, you aren't necessarily developing muscle memory, but you have to act fluidly and operation has to be second nature when making it.

pinchegil and Phrygian77 like this.
  15. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Sax and squash (sport, not vegetable).

pinchegil likes this.
  16. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

I like to metal detect on the beach. Last year I scored a Tiffany & Co. Platinum wedding band. Retailed at that time for $1700.

pinchegil likes this.
  17. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I've changed hobbies a LOT through my life, but the ones that have been revived and committed to in the last ten to twenty-five years are guitar playing, college sports, and painting. Since retirement, add occasion rounds of golf, jigsaw puzzles, and traveling.

For me, I cannot spend time painting and playing guitar concurrently, since each seems to satisfy a creative itch. But music and painting are really the same thing, just different mediums.

Several of my latest paintings in case anyone might be interested. These are large paintings, three or four feet on a side:

18952875_1491123230951503_5628167719574273134_n.jpg 75223712_2707669362630211_1772810079989399552_n.jpg 215846904_4338721512858313_1930249581029458271_n.jpg

18. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

Beautiful paintings!

DekeDog likes this.
  19. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is far too clean for any meaningful "hobby activities" to be taking place!

Rmccamey likes this.
  20. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I played a lot of Minecraft back in the Alpha and Beta days. I didn't care for the way a lot of the game play changed in later versions. Every once in a while, I'll play 1.8 (pre combat update) when I get the urge, which is almost never.

I got sucked into the Elder Scrolls games starting with Morrowind when it came out. And, I'll probably play through Skyrim yet again when the Anniversary Edition is released in a couple of months.

pinchegil likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.