Time it took to switch from fingerstyle to thumb pick

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by 1955, Jun 6, 2015.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

How long did it take you? I'm gonna likely have to do it soon. Help appreciated!

2. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

Why do you think there'll be a problem? If there is an issue it might be volume, unless you use fingerpicks as well. It might take a little while to learn to thumb pick more gently but not long.

3. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

It wasn't overly hard as I remember. What did take years of practicing was speed. The hybrid pickers generally are faster but watch Brent's right hand technique when doing the fast runs.

4. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried thumbpicks and fingerpicks off and on over the years but just can't get into them so I always go back to my bare fingers.

5. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

I am currently working on it and have been committed to it for the last 2 years ,i would say it depends on the techniques you already have in hand , and a good amount of will and time .

I believe that if you do something 21 days in a row it becomes you , as soon as you sit down you practice , watching tv practice , and so on.

On the technical side, the thumb pick is used almost only to do down stroke and the up stroke is done with the fingers , in some cases i will support the pick with my index finger to do alternate picking .

There are variation on the finger technique some time i only use the index and thumb like Merle Travis , then use one of the others on notes i cant play usually offbeat notes , or all tree when making chords like Robert Johnson , seamlessly going from to the other and blending it , created great enjoyment .

I am not exactly where i want to be but surely getting there .

I hope my last video inspires you to go for it.

Best regards

Mark

6. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

i switch back and forth. i like the tp, because it's easier to get palm mutes, from that angle.

7. 1955

Thank you all for the help!

I have acrylics on index middle and ring, but because my nail bed has been very damaged by fungus on my index, I am having a lot of trouble and need to leave the acrylic off for a while on that finger, which I was using like a flat pick.

8. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

I have mine adjusted or turned so that the pick is more towards the tip of my thumb instead of sticking out the side. It might help.

9. 1955

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.