Time for Fender to make a hand wired black/silverface Champ?

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
C’mon Fender, time to make the hand wired (insert year) Custom Vibro Champ - the ‘68 Custom with the 10 inch Celestion speaker and digital reverb might be a fine amp, and looks lovely, but it’s not quite it. I dreamt of the ‘64 Custom Princeton Reverb for two years before they built it - hoping I can magic up the Champ - I don’t know if anyone else has the same dream…

KC

Friend of Leo's
The Gibson Les Paul Junior amp from 10 years ago or so are hand-wired high-quality amps, not quite a champ but pretty much. They tend to be cheap but hard to find.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
C’mon Fender, time to make the hand wired (insert year) Custom Vibro Champ - the ‘68 Custom with the 10 inch Celestion speaker and digital reverb might be a fine amp, and looks lovely, but it’s not quite it. I dreamt of the ‘64 Custom Princeton Reverb for two years before they built it - hoping I can magic up the Champ - I don’t know if anyone else has the same dream…

Are silverface Champs hard to come by over there? They're still affordable enough here in the states that it's hard to imagine a $2000 new one making sense.

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
Are silverface Champs hard to come by over there? They're still affordable enough here in the states that it's hard to imagine a $2000 new one making sense.

I suspect they’re harder to come by than in the US - there are usually a few on Reverb or eBay but often, not great condition but expensive, although some (usually from dealers) are in great condition… and even more expensive.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
I have an all-original SF Champ and love it. It's clearly a very simple build, but somehow manufacturing now is so costly when you get away from robotic mass-production that even a simple Champ circuit is too $$$ to handwire. Even the kits are overpriced. I've gotta say, though, that mine sounds phenomenal and warrants the hype it gets. Compared to many amps, it has a much livelier response and is a blast to play. The cab is roomy, for a great tone, and despite being a small amp with a small speaker, it is not shrieky or tinny. Darned good amps.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I heard they didn’t do as well as they could have with the brown Princeton

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Non Vibro SF Champs were going as low as $350 used 2 years ago. Not sure now, but pretty sure you can get a Vibro Champ SF for well under $1000. So would people buy a $1500 new one? Probably! DUHo_O

Stop your dreaming and go buy one!
SF Vibro Champs
Date Condition Sold Price
6/17/2022 Good $500
6/6/2022 Good $500
6/5/2022 Good $687.06
6/4/2022 Good $600
5/21/2022 Very Good $775
5/20/2022 Good $700
5/20/2022 Good $775
5/19/2022 Excellent $800
5/14/2022 Very Good $800
5/14/2022 Good $900

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
I heard they didn’t do as well as they could have with the brown Princeton

There seemed to be supply issues here in the UK; they were sold out and on back order for ages.

So I build my own.
P1130345.JPG

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!

I think we should pay some respect to Fender for offering the ´68 Custom Vibro Champ only last year (or was it the one before?)
It includes REVERB and the often called for 10"-speaker too!
It goes for around $900 new afaik - so I don´t see any chance of a handwired reissue any time soon.

We should have bought some more of the vintage ones when they were around $3-400 each ;)

cheers - 68.

tele_savales

Tele-Afflicted
Non Vibro SF Champs were going as low as $350 used 2 years ago. Not sure now, but pretty sure you can get a Vibro Champ SF for well under $1000. So would people buy a $1500 new one? Probably! DUHo_O

Stop your dreaming and go buy one!
SF Vibro Champs
Date Condition Sold Price
6/17/2022 Good $500
6/6/2022 Good $500
6/5/2022 Good $687.06
6/4/2022 Good $600
5/21/2022 Very Good $775
5/20/2022 Good $700
5/20/2022 Good $775
5/19/2022 Excellent $800
5/14/2022 Very Good $800
5/14/2022 Good $900
500 for good and 900 for good really makes me wonder. They should include a listing price, amount/length of haggling emails, and final price. I've seen totally torched VC's on reverb for 900-1100. True story swear to god.

I do know that I snagged a relatively clean one for 475 in 2019 and sold it for 850 a bit later, but I also included a WGS speaker and recapped it. And I did just just sell a near mint 1974 for 1k, only changed the can on that one. There's a couple super clean non Vibro's on NY craigslist at this very moment, and a Princeton non reverb SF and I think a Princeton SF Reverb and they're all strangely reasonable. I considered snagging the Princeton for 16 hundred because I know it's not going to go down in value, either for myself or if I want to sell it.

The market here might be different, people are used to spending a lot of money on everything, the majority of people who are selling know what their "item" is worth.
I also saw a ton of Bassmans for under 1k 2 years ago, now I hate myself for selling my 67, because I can't find one anywhere near as clean for anywhere near 1k.

Getting back to the original post, yes there are a ton of them available, relatively untouched, probably significantly cheaper than anything Fender would sell as a reissue.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Prices for Silverface Fenders and older, have reached the point, in the UK, where brand new clones, or H/W Fender re-issues, are highly competitive. If you want a reliable gigger, a well specced and constructed modern build, is probably the better bet. As an 'investment', the old amps are giving the owners what they want.
Supply and demand, I suppose. If I lived in the US, I would own a lot more vintage iron than I currently do.

Alcohen

Tele-Meister
I suppose maybe there's a market for them but, as the owner of a '65 BFVC, I don't see the value in paying a premium for something you could duplicate or improve on for less. The Champ is a nice amp but limited. 8" speaker, no reverb. With a bunch of pedals, it's pretty versatile, and loud enough to keep up with a restrained drummer in band practice. But why pay a thousand bucks extra for the dubious added benefit of hand wiring and the Fender name? There are improved Champs - the Allen Chihuahua, for example - with 10" speakers, built-in reverb, adjustable mid-range, master volume, that come in at or less than the price of Fender would charge for a hand-wired boutique version of their student amp.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't see the value in paying a premium for something you could duplicate or improve on for less.
This is my feeling. I've actually got enough spare transformers laying around from flea markets that I could whip up a champ by this evening save for maybe a capacitor or two and a handsome chassis.

While I could see a hand wired Virbochamp selling a few units, I personally don't think there's enough going on inside a Champ (Vibro or not) chassis for there to be any real benefit to hand wiring at all. The best thing would be that you'd have a brand new Champ and bragging rights.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
... I personally don't think there's enough going on inside a Champ (Vibro or not) chassis for there to be any real benefit to hand wiring at all...
The best thing would be that you'd have a brand new Champ and bragging rights.
Is that why the ´57 Champ Reissue has been selling since 2009?

Apart from the "handwiring", Fender recently released a Vibro-Champ with REVERB and a 10"-speaker 👍
Afaik, these are the "upgrades" most of us wished for in the past ;)

cheers - 68.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi!

Is that why the ´57 Champ Reissue has been selling since 2009?

Actually, yeah. I think it is. There's so little inside that amp that a PCB isn't going to ruin the tone of the thing. It may not even be noticeable vs. the differences from amp to amp. Fender doesn't make a PCB version though. On the other hand, people have been buying and modding virtually the same amp from other manufacturers for quite some time, and for a lot less.

I'm not saying it's not okay to buy something like that, and not everyone wants to figure out how to solder. I'm just saying that if I'm going to buy a 2022 up-featured Champ, I'd prefer to buy one with a PCB rather than pay the premium because it just won't make that much of a difference. Put out both the PCB and the hand wired, and the PCB will sell 10:1 if not more.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
I just can't come to terms with the money people want for those things, I've had a bunch over the years and just can't fathom paying more for one than a Twin. I have no romance for them, there's lots of other little amps for far better deals, there's a little tweed Magnatone for $325.00 on my local CL right now. Shoot, an old PA head off eBay, like a Stromberg Carlson or Masco makes a great little guitar amp.