Time for a pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by troy2003, Mar 7, 2013.

1. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Wife has given me the green light to get one, so who am I to argue. Been playing Tele into a Peavey Classic 30 and love it, but it is time to augment my tone. Play Classic rock and Christian rock mostly with a few old country fiddle tunes thrown in the mix. I know I want a phase 90 for sure, but don't know if its the first one I'll get. The music store I frequent has the normal Boss pedals, a few MXR and a few others I never paid much attention to. Any suggestions? Expensive boutique pedals are out as price is a factor. Thanks in advance.

2. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Tele-Holic

Echo...? echo...? echo...?

3. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Troy-as a brutha playa in the land of 10000 Germans with frozen brains, where are you buying the pedaL?
    I was told many moons ago that the first pedal I should buy is a compressor. I have never regretted that
    Check one out before you buy anything.

4. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Garytelecaster- Always glad to hear from a fellow MN player. I like Bridge of Harmony in St. Cloud. Always have treated me right. They don't have the selection of Guitar Center but I try to support them when I can. If I cant find what I need I order from Musicians Friend. A compressor- I'll give it a whirl.

5. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

If I could only have one pedal, it would be a delay. Specifically aqua puss or tc electronic flashback. You'll be way more versatile with a delay than any other single pedal.

6. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

mxr carbon copy or I'd look into a tremolo, lovepedal babyface and malekko is pretty cool

7. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I think since your amp already has overdrive, a delay or a comp is a good choice. I'd go with a delay personally. You say your store of choice has MXR stuff? Try a Carbon Copy. not a bad sound in there, and the modulation button gives you a little extra color.

A comp is eventually essential, but to me, as a first pedal, a delay is a little more fun.

8. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

If you're doing Christian rock then a delay pedal with tap tempo and dotted 8th note capability is a must, considering there's a big U2 influence running through that genre. You can't go wrong with the Boss DD-20: I own one and I'm a fan. Not sure if that's within your price range, though.

I'd also eyeball a good compressor: this guy does some great reviews, even though he's a bassist.

9. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

+1 delay being the first. Boss DD3 and the MXR Carbon Copy are both good solid work horses but I really like the TC Flashback. Its a bit more expensive but well worth the extra couple bucks.

A close second would have to be a good boost/OD. My absolute favorite pedal I have ever bought is the TC Spark Boost. It can really fatten up your tone and it will get dirty if you dime it. I also really like the Way Huge Pork Loin as either a clean boost or slighty dirty one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.