Time For A New Clip-On Tuner Thread (last one was in 2015)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toast, Nov 16, 2019.

1. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nah, not wound too tight. Guess my sense of humor doesn't match up with yours. It was an elaborate way to say that true rock-n-rollers don't need no dorky clip-ons, man, they're way too cool for that… And why look like a dweeb if you don't have to?

Toast and BobbyZ like this.
  2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry I took it the wrong way. Sometimes humor gets lost in text. :)

Toast and pixeljammer like this.
  3. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

I don't particularly care for clip on tuners...that said if, I were to use one it would be a Peterson. I use the Peterson Strobo Plus when I want something portable and one of their bench top versions on...well my "bench" such as it is.

The accuracy of their products is far superior to anything else available.

Toast likes this.
  4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a generic no name tuner similar to that one that I bought at a swap meet in Louisiana in the early ‘90’s and it still works great. Don’t use it much, as I like Snarks. However I hate messing with batteries, especially those little disc ones, so I may give one of those USB rechargeable ones a try.

Toast and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I should add, I have a tuner on my phone, as that goes most places with me.

It’s the Peterson one. iStroboSoft. Not the catchiest of names. When I first got it, it seemed unusable. Way too ‘accurate’ and readings always flew around wildly, second to second. I was quite annoyed, as it isn’t free.

Now, for some reason, it has calmed down and proved quite useful.

Pax/
    Dean

Toast likes this.
  6. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Every Snark I ever owned is broken.

Dan

Toast likes this.
  7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

My D'Addario NS Mini seems to require a lot of power. A battery doesn't last very long in it... maybe about a week, even if I only use it once or twice each day.

But a "dead" battery removed from the D'Addario will power my Snark for months.

Toast likes this.
  8. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Red Snark.

Battery - CR3032

Durability - No issues and I’ve had it a few years now. I previously had a Snark and the holder part cracked so the head wouldn’t stay on. It’s not the best design but I’m relatively careful and haven’t had any issues with this one.

Display readability - Good, as long as the battery isn’t dying, then it can fade a bit. Otherwise it’s quite bright and very readable.

Longevity - I haven’t taken into account how long the battery life is. I’d say acceptable. I’m not changing batteries a lot.

Tuning accuracy - Very good. More accurate than the tuners in my software, actually (Garage Band and S-Gear). It does the job, can’t imagine something worlds better.

Clippiness - No issues. Again with my last Snark the rubber feet fell off at one point. Again, not the best design, but it will still do its job even if that happens. Haven’t had any issues so far with this one.

Affordability - I think they’re still only like $20-25. A no brainer and I haven’t felt like I need anything more.

Anything else - the one knock I’d give it is that being a headstock tuner it can pick up vibrations from the bass in a live setting, or can struggle a bit to be perfectly accurate in a loud setting in general I’ve found. It tends to dance around a bit more if fighting with a bass for instance. I admittedly haven’t tried any other headstock tuner than Snark, and I didn’t have any issues tuning in between songs without any major instrumental commotion going on, but it is something to consider if going the headstock tuner route.

Toast likes this.
  9. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Because I don't need something that will fly me to the moon and cost the price of a rocket to do so, I use snark tuners for all of my instruments! They are fairly priced and accurate!

Boubou and Toast like this.
  10. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

Peterson StroboClip for me. It's accurate to 1/10 of a cent and has a range of sweetened tunings for many different instruments.
    The only downsides are that it's stupidly expensive and is a bit heavy on battery life. I use mine mainly on my acoustic and also have a Strobostomp Classic on my pedal board for electric playing.

Toast likes this.
  11. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I got my Microprice tuner today. Checked it against my 7 year old Korg CA-30 Chromatic tuner and it's working like a charm. I'm lovin' the USB charger. Hopefully, it will hold up over time. I'll let you know if it goes south on me.

12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've had a plain old first gen Snark for years now. Just put in a new battery the other day, second replacement if I remember right. I think it was $20 new. I misplaced it for a few weeks and bought another off brand that was total crap and untrustworthy but I can't remember the brand.

13. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I'm with pixeljammer, crap stuck the headstock of the guitar during a gig is sloppy visuals. I shall be cracking down on that with my sideman.
    I'll grab a folding table and we'll use it for drinks and gear like tuners, capos, picks, etc. I have always loved the little chest of drawers that Gillian Welch and David Rawlings have toured with forever.

14. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Meister

My local guitar shop did not have a Peterson, so I ended up with a small Korg non-clip on. Have since ordered and received a Peterson clip-on...and bought the D'Addario twofer special on Black Friday as well. I think I'm set for awhile.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.