Time For A New Clip-On Tuner Thread (last one was in 2015)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toast, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I had a similar indestructible Korg for 30 odd years. Only replaced it recently. Bet I can still use it if I find it. At bottom of gear box I think.

Toast and Chunkocaster like this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Meister

My latest Snark has gotten snarky, so I am in the hunt for anothe to use on my acoustics. Should have bought the D'Addario special MF had a short time ago, but didn't get off the dime. Have a Boss in my electric loop which seems to work well. Will probably get a couple of cheapos and a Peterson for set up efforts.

Toast likes this.
  3. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I'm using the Polytune clip-on these days. It's accurate and solid. Two minor problems: 1) the screen gets scratched too easily. 2) It's hard to see in full sunlight.

My favorite is the original Intellitouch PT10. Accurate, durable, easy to see in all lighting situations. But I have lost both of them.

I have a couple Boss tuners (pedal), but I have discovered they are not as accurate. So they have been chucked in a drawer.

Daniel

Toast likes this.
  4. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Put me in the TC Polytune group. Finally...a brain damage free tuner!

Toast likes this.
  5. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I like my Snark, just wish it had an auto shut off.

Toast likes this.
  6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I use Sharks have been for several years, other than loosing them I like them. You can get batteries at the dollar store, for a buck. Seems like those don't last as long though.
    Grabbed a D'Addario at a little music shop this summer. I regretted it as soon as they rang it up! My fault I didn't want to say, "are you eefing kidding me"! So I just paid and I don't like it but it works fine I guess.
    I'm all for supporting music stores and will continue to support the one here in town. I think Al still sells Sharks under 20 bucks. A little more than online but not enough that I want to mess with ordering the darn things.
    If I lived by that other shop, I'd order tuners online.

Toast likes this.
  7. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Anothe mini Dadario

Toast likes this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I bought a half-dozen of those Reverb clip-ons when they had the $1 promotion sale a few years ago (only-one-per-customer, yeah, right). One died, gave 2 away to friends and still use the others, throwing them in cases and gig bags for backup use. They work OK but I use my Korg for intonation setup and such.

Toast likes this.
  9. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

They have
    But it wont turn off if you keep playing

Toast and P Thought like this.
  10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have a Snark Studio H.Z. It works pretty well and I got it cheap (GC black Friday sale) but I much, much prefer my T.C. Polytune pedal.

Toast likes this.
  11. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I guess that's where the problem is, I will check my tuning then forget to turn it off manually and keep playing. Thanks for the info, guess it's operator error.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Toast likes this.
  12. BobbyZ

Yeah that auto turn off is a great idea.
    If you tune up right BEFORE you stop playing!
    For those of us that tune up before we play, it ain't worth a darn. ;)

It's like "auto headlights" they use an electric eye that turns on the headlights when it's dark.
    Also a great idea. At first glance. . . . .
    Unfortunately you're supposed to turn the headlights on if it's foggy, raining or snowing. That's actually the law in Minnesota and I'd imagine a lot of other states.
    The unfortunate side effect of "auto" headlights is a whole lot of drivers NOT turning on their headlights when it's not dark but foggy, raining and snowing.
    Used to be if you saw someone with the lights off you'd flash your's and they'd flip um on.
    Now you flash your lights and they give you a smug look that says, "I've got automatic lights MORON".
    Two fine examples of technology making stupid people, even dumber. :)

Toast likes this.
  13. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I went from a car with auto headlights that I drove for years to one with manual headlights. Talk about the curse of the dead battery. I ended up having to buy a battery charger because I couldn't break the auto headlight habit and kept leaving my lights on during foggy days. You know you're getting older after your 12th battery jump for the week in the parking lot at work.

BobbyZ likes this.
  14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

My Snark has a built-in metronome. I don't use it, but if I did, I'd be annoyed if it turned itself off every few minutes.

Toast and BobbyZ like this.
  15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

It’s a pretty simple procedure to turn the tuner off when you are finished tuning, well for me at least.
    :lol:

Toast likes this.
  16. BobbyZ

My getting rustier every day 01 BMW doesn't have auto headlights. It does have day time running lights, (an idea I like) and a warning buzzer if you do leave the headlights on.
    Not that whimpy beepy thing that you get used to in most cars, ignore and return to a dead battery.
    This thing sounds like Captain Kirk has the self destruction mechanism switch on in the Star Ship Enterprise !
    I pull into a parking lot and open the door with the lights on people close by run for cover!
    I love it !
    Might put one on the old Dodge. Lol

Toast and pixeljammer like this.
  17. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Clip-ons are sorta gauche. They're the on-stage equivalent of a belt case for your smartphone. At least clip it on backwards, so the head/readout is behind the headstock. They're fine for home use, though, if nobody ever comes over.

Toast and TokyoPortrait like this.
  18. BobbyZ

Your man wound a little too tight? :)
    Come on its a clip on tuner. Who cares?
    And I do put mine on so it's on the back side. Because I can see it better that way.

Toast likes this.
  19. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That's the one!

Toast likes this.
  20. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman TDPRI Member

I gotta get a new one. I have this Fishman tuner which works great but on the rare occasions I play out I tune up then press the button but not long enough. I start playing and it blinks like a Christmas tree. Those ones that hide behind the headstock look pretty cool.

Toast likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.