Time For A New Clip-On Tuner Thread (last one was in 2015)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toast, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

What are your preferences in clip-on tuner models these days? If you have some experience with them, let us know what you like or dislike about yours.

Maybe include info on:

Battery Type
    Durability
    Display Readability
    Longevity
    Tuning Accuracy
    Clip clippiness or lack thereof
    Affordability
    Anything else worth knowing about. Thanks.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

The model I have on every one of my guitars and basses, is the D'Addario Mini. It's accurate, easy to read onstage, and hides unobtrusively BEHIND the headstock. I usually put an itsy-bitsy screw through the "clamp" part so it never shakes off. The battery seems to last forever. 043.JPG

3. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Update your search engine,
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/which-clip-on-tuner.957418/
    This thread was 5 months ago.
    I like Snarks, son of Snark a little less.
    But I am just an everyday tuner, not a cork sniffing tuner.
    The only failures I have had with Snarks tuners, are the 2 my dog ate, or was it 3?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    DrPepper, Greggorios and Toast like this.
  4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Monoprice. Works great. Pluses: rechargeable (via usb) battery. That's right, rechargeable battery. Oh yeah, and cents count, if that matters to you. $11, usually with free shipping. Providing Amazon link since MP site down for maintenance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L6TNYTH/?tag=tdpri-20

5. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I read your review in the 2015 thread, but your picture doesn't show the display. I looked it up on Amazon. I might pick that one up. It's affordable. 64% 5 star reviews, but it's only $11 so I'm leaning toward getting one. I'm going to keep watching this thread and see what else pops up.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I used the TDPRI search function which was probably my mistake :).

Greggorios likes this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I agree 100% with NoJazzHere - I have several of those little mini d'Addario tuners, also mounted on the back of the head as in his picture.

I also have a very nice Polytone clip-on tuner that I have been told is very accurate; and the screen design is easily readable. I find that it works very well for sensitive work like adjusting intonation. I even clip it on the body of my pedal-steel guitar when I am adjusting those pedals and levers.

8. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I really like the little DAddario ones like NoJazz shows. I have the soundhole versions in all of my acoustics. They sometimes have trouble grabbing low E if the battery is getting weak. Battery life could be better.

For quick grab, cheap, easy to read, dependable, hard to beat a Snark. I always have one handy for guitars that don't have a D'Adderio already on them. They are accurate enough for quick tuning, but lack the precision for fine tuning like doing intonation.

I have a UniTune, which is nice, very accurate and precise, but it goes through batteries like crazy.

I also have a Peterson clip-on strobe tuner which I don't like at all, and use it only to confirm the accuracy of the tuners I like to use.

For intonation and fine tuning I use Android app PitchLab Pro.

Greggorios, nojazzhere and Toast like this.
  9. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I really like the USB charger. I hate having to buy batteries. So I might go for that. How long have you had yours?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  10. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I keep a couple Snark tuners lying around handy, but not too handy. Whenever one comes to the surface, I use it to check whichever guitar I'm playing. Between times I keep them tuned by ear, using the 5th-fret comparison method from my old chord book.

If it's been long enough since I used the tuner, the whole guitar is likely to be a quarter-step or so low.

My friend Harry--RIP--used to hand me a tuner whenever we sat down to play together. That comes to my mind every time I use my Snarks.

11. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I'll check that out because I need one for fine tuning as well, but I'm putting off buying an ultra accurate strobe tuner for now.

Greggorios likes this.
  12. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

One of the reasons I want a clip-on is so I can take it to the acoustic room at GC and tune up their acoustics. They usually have them tuned somewhat, but I always seem to find the ones that aren't tuned. A guitar that's out of tune makes it impossible for me to evaluate it.

Greggorios and P Thought like this.
  13. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I'm lazy about keeping my guitars in tune. My current tuner is kind of clunky so I don't use it as much as I should. I worry about my ear getting thrown off if I keep playing my guitars slightly out of tune. Thus, the need for the clip-on.

P Thought likes this.
  14. SparkleFart

SparkleFart TDPRI Member

After a couple iterations of Snarks, I've been trying out a TC Electronic Polytune. While I don't care for the polyphonic function, I do like the standard chromatic and "strobe" modes. It's low profile and so far seems stable & accurate.

pt2.jpg

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Still liking my Korg Sledgehammer. Caveat is that my wife didn't like it on her bass, so I swapped for it with my cheapo Fender tuner. Both work fine, but I can get more accurate and faster under any kind of light better with the Korg.

Greggorios and Toast like this.
  16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Sweetwater has the UniTune, which is cheaper but same internals, functions less the polyphonic feature. My choice. I have three.

17. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

For that I use the son of Snark which is pretty much the same as the d’addario in the picture of the second post, size wise, easy to put in your shirt pocket
    upload_2019-11-16_16-47-21.jpeg

Toast likes this.
  18. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Peterson clip-on is hands down the best I've used and I thought that the last black Snark would be hard to beat. The Peterson latches on quickly and is very easy to see when you're spot on.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

This

coloradojeff and Greggorios like this.
  20. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Snark Super Tight

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.