1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Timber/Wood ID

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by 017_017, Oct 17, 2020.

1. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought some Red Alder body blanks, and am convinced the blanks I received are not Red Alder.

Pictures below.

[​IMG]01 by The 017, on Flickr

[​IMG]02 by The 017, on Flickr

[​IMG]03 by The 017, on Flickr

[​IMG]04 by The 017, on Flickr

Do you think they're Red Alder? I can not see any red hue to the grain that is typical of Red Alder (they're pretty much white).

Thanks

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Color gradations can swing wildly within specific species of tree. For example, sometimes red oak looks more like white oak.

The wood you have pictured looks like alder; the grain appears correct. If you bought from a hardwoods dealer based on pictures on their Website and the color you received does not match, give them a call and let them know you are dissatisfied. You bought from them because you wanted what was pictured. They should take measures to make things right.

crazydave911 and Fretting out like this.
  3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Yeppers, got some Bolivian rosewood fretboard blanks from Woodcraft online, looked like black spaghetti and returned in person

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Cameras on their end and display monitors on your end alter the color appearance of everything posted online.
    So if the problem is "not red enough" then that may be the source of the issue.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

scratch the surface and describe the scent.. :p

that looks like Alder or possibly Basswood.. either perfectly capable of making a superb guitar, and both are played by various superb professional guitarists..

r

DavidV and RogerC like this.
  6. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I always wonder if basswood is pronounced like the fish or the low frequency musical note.?

ale.istotle and crazydave911 like this.
  7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

like the fish

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

This is a piece of alder I just cut. You can see the cutoff is decidedly more red than the body shape. The body shape has been run through the drum sander. The cutoff hasn't.

[​IMG]

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It appears to be Alder to me, I burn Alder for firewood so see a lot of it. Vaguely like Poplar though too. But usually more Yellow or Green in Poplar.

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm pretty certain these blanks are Basswood. I have no prejudice against Basswood (I don't prescribe to the whole Tonewood thing), but a) I didn't order Basswood, and b) I wanted Alder as it's (as a rule of thumb) slightly harder. I can dent these just by looking at them.

I contacted the supplier, and they claim all the Alder blanks they have look like what I received. However, to my surprise, they've decided to send me three new blanks, so I'm almost certain someone picked the wrong blanks and they're trying to correct the mistake.

I'm eager to see what turns up...

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

Some further (positive) developments.

I sent another email to the supplier, stating I still believe they sent me the wrong species (despite them initially claiming otherwise). They replied back, and confirmed they made a mistake and sent me Basswood. Looks like I'm not going crazy after all. Mistakes happen, and I'm thankful the supplier is making it right.

I won't know for sure until I receive delivery, but I'm positively optimistic I'll see that distinct red Alder hue when I open the box.

I'll update again when they arrive...

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

The (correct Alder) replacements came in today:

[​IMG]alder by The 017, on Flickr

:)

13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

So did you have to return the bAsswood?

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

No, I got to keep the Basswood blanks.

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

sounds like a win to me!

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

Yes, a bit of a win.

I would have preferred the correct blanks in the beginning, but I'm just thankful the supplier (Stewart-MacDonald) has great customer service. I've never had one bad experience with them.

I was fully expecting they'd want them back. Not really a problem, but the size, weight and overall hassle was something I was dreading having to go through. Since it was their mistake, they would have reimbursed me for the return shipping costs, but yeah, the hassle of it all...

I think they worked out the return shipping costs would have exceeded the value of the blanks. Hint: I'm outside the USA...

crazydave911 and DrASATele like this.
  17. guitarbuilder

Basswood is about the least expensive hardwood east of the Mississippi. The select grade sells for about 3.75 a board foot. You can figure they get it cheaper than that. It probably is about 8-10 dollars each invested in wood for them, plus overhead. With a good industrial quality saw, planer, and jointer, the time factor to process them wouldn't be that much either.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They may be able to get it in bulk at that price, but retail for 8/4 clear is $5-6 here. I just bought some more recently during a supplier "sale" and did manage to get under $5. I happen to like basswood for the bodies I'm planning as it machines cleanly and has good weight characteristics.

But for the OP, if it wasn't what was ordered, I'm glad that the supplier stepped up and replaced the order. It was nice of them to allow the original goods to be kept, too. Even with there undoubtedly good shipping rate contract(s), return shipping would have ate more than the profit in the material.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. guitarbuilder

I guess my local guy hasn't changed his pricing yet. My other go- to place is $5.20 for 8/4 with Maple and Northern Ash in the low $6 range. Those are the cheapest and we're in the middle of hardwood country here. It's the sign of the times I guess.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Prices are up currently, Marty, especially for anything that could be used for any kind of construction/remodeling. We just had a discussion about building material prices skyrocketing (and supply issues) over at Sawmill Creek in OT recently.

I do try to buy material for my shop as economically as possible without sacrificing quality. That sometimes means buying on "speculation" when the price is right for use in future projects. Wood certainly doesn't depreciate at least!

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.