Timber...my Tele fell face down!

indiobravo

Tele-Afflicted
i have never personally seen a tele with a snapped neck scar. i have seen very very many gibby snapped neck scars. teles are the toughest production electric guitar out there. period.

iowacarver

Tele-Meister
I once had a 70s California country rock band erroneously booked into a hard-core honky tonk, and during "Lyin' Eyes," flesh-eating redneck zombies tore through the chicken wire to attack our singing drummer.

I fought them off, swinging my 10 lb CBS Tele Custom like a warhammer, and went on to play "A Horse With No Name" without even re-tuning. There was, however, a half-rotted tooth stuck in the bridge. I left it. Love a relic.

P

The best one yet! Ha ha!

IowaCarver

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
the hunting of the snark

My Epi Masterbilt took a faceplant last fall at an outdoor gig. A big gust of wind from behind toppled it off it's stand. The guitar was completely uninjured as it landed on some cords and the Snark took all the impact at the headstock (I glued it back together and it works fine).

"The rest of my speech" (he explained to his men)
"You shall hear when I've leisure to speak it.
But the Snark is at hand, let me tell you again!
'Tis your glorious duty to seek it!

"To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
To pursue it with forks and hope;
To threaten its life with a railway-share;
To charm it with smiles and soap!

"For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
Be caught in a commonplace way.
Do all that you know, and try all that you don't:
Not a chance must be wasted to-day!

Couldn't resist it! Good old Lewis Carroll

Attachments

• SnarkFront_svg.jpg
    SnarkFront_svg.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 54

Phelonious Ponk

Tele-Afflicted
It's the plank, the ball bat and the huge wood screws, really. A tele is only marginally tougher than a Strat or jazz aster. But a LP, by contrast, is a girl. A fat girl. A hot, fat girl. Excuse me...gotta go shopping...

teleup

Tele-Holic
Must've been some event teleup, nice fix!

it was major surgery on that one.. the fret board de-lamated, the wood one the neck was splintered, very ugly but went back together fairly well, my bass player was super happy especially with the tone..I installed a black tusq nut so the bass was more "lively" sounding than before..it originally had a crappy black plastic one

100_2156.jpg

100_2162.jpg

100_2164.jpg

Yodhan

Tele-Meister
Played an outdoor festival show that was a train wreck of Greek tragedy proportions. Gear dying out, kick drum sliding around on the plastic coated stage, too much feedback because the sound guy was nowhere near the board. At the end of our set, I put my Esquire on my guitar stand so I could haul my amp of stage. Or at least I thought I got it on the stand. I missed completely and it fell over, skidding across the stage. Not a nick on it, but a scrape across the stage from my stamped Tele bridge. Served the stage right. Now I have a nick on the headstock that I can't place the cause of, but I really don't care. My guitar is a tank.

Bartholomew3

Friend of Leo's
Had a 12 string Fender electric solid-body in the sixties similar to a Jaguar, fell through a raised stage that drifted apart on a club gig - broke the 2 top E strings on the drummer's cymbal as I dropped out of sight.

Good chip out of the side of the fret-board but no damage that made any difference after I put a couple of new strings on.

Any time you can walk away it's a good thing...

J. Hayes

Friend of Leo's
Hey PS..........

at a gig recently I took two Teles, my regular B-bender and my '72 reissue Tele Deluxe. I'd brought a double guitar stand and put 'em both on that. I tuned up the Tele Deluxe first and put it back on the stand. I then picked up my bender Tele and the guitar strap caught on the piece of the stand that sticks out to brace the guitar. The stand went immediately over and the Deluxe went face first onto a concrete tiled floor with a loud smack... I thought it'd be trash but I picked it up and one of the four plactic knobs was broken and the D string was buzzing but other than that it'd survived... I'm glad I'm a Fender picker because if that'd been a Gibson Les Paul the headstock would've been broken off for sure............Here's a shot of the guitar which fell...........JH in Va.

Attachments

• Deluxe Tele full.jpg
    Deluxe Tele full.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 56

El Boricaster

TDPRI Member
Reviving this post almost a decade later because I cannot explain how my beloved MIM Tele, on which I’ve been learning setups, developing soldering skills, wiring and such, fell from my stand front faced to the floor and it barely laughed it off. Not a scratch, not a dent, no loose neck, no breaks; just detuned.

Had to check the guitar more than a couple of times because I just couldn’t believe it.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
GregWV..glad to hear all is well

I had just bought my first tele in 1972. Brand new Thinline. I had a house gig at the time and the only thing different about this particular night was that I'd brought the new guitar. Started the gig without a chance to dial in a sound.

I turned around, between songs, to tweak my amp and same thing happened to me as you just described. My precious new tele hit the deck.

My bandmate at the time was an older guy (actually, he was probably younger then than I am now !) who didn't get excited about anything. He looked over and, deadpanned into the mic, "I see that JDC's new guitar just took a nap".

I didn't know whether to be mad at him for taking it so lightly or to laugh my a$$ off, because it was (in retrospect) pretty funny.

You have my initials. Nice.

I had that happen with my Goldtop. The new style Schaller strap lock button with the built in screw unscrewed itself and I just happened to grab the guitar right as the strap let go so I avoided any damage since it didn't hit the floor. Talk about shocked!

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
A tale of two Ibanez guitars:

Ibanez #1

I have a Roadstar II Strat copy that is my first guitar. Around 1991, I leaned it against a car (no case, I was a kid), and asi was unlocking the door the guitar slid down the car and slammed full force into the front of the guitar on concrete. I freaked out, but the only damage was road rash on the nut itself, though it did not break. This guitar has a long story (that I have told here before). A few years later I gave it to my brother, and a few years after that he did manage to break the neck on it. It had an Allparts neck for a decade, then my cousin/best friend got his hands on it. He knew it had sentimental value for me, so he found an original Ibanez neck that matched the body and gave it to me as a gift. So probly 20 years after I gave it away, it came home.

Ibanez.jpg

Ibanez #2:

A 'friend' bought one of the cheap 90s Ibanez EX series and learned to play on it. We were practicing to play at a high school pep rally when the singer moved the guitar amp that the EX was leaning against. The EX slid almost exactly like my Roadstar did and landed on its face. The headstock cracked. His dad later did a pretty competent job of gluing it back together, but it was a rough day, and the guitar was never the same.

No pics of that one.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
The drummer was adjusting/moving the kick and knocked over my Tele. It fell face down on to my pedal board. I saw it all- in slow motion. The bass player screamed. And I heard. Couple of "Oh no's!". It made a dreadful sound as the neck slammed into my Tim pedal.

I picked 'er up expecting some sort of terrible gouge or a dent in the fretboard. To my surprise I couldn't find a scratch on the guitar. I played a G chord and the only damage appeared to be that the low E string was out of tune. I've heard similar stories with not so happy endings.

Share your story.
Did it put the Tim pedal out of its misery?😆