Tim v3

KC

Poster Extraordinaire
Nothing much to say except it's in the running for the best dirt box ever, to my ears. I'll confess I'm in the honeymoon phase -- had this thing a month or so -- but man is this easy to get along with. Plug a tele in & it sounds like a tele. Plug a Strat in, sounds like a Strat, ditto a Les Paul. The nice thing about his is the balance of the tone settings & the gain structure, with the bass coming before dirt and the treble after. Plug a Gibson in, dial back the low end to keep it from mushing out, dial in a little brightness and you're off to the races. So far it plays nicely with Marshall, Orange, Vox and Fender amps. The boost I'm still getting used to but it's a lot more than a simple volume jump.

The ultimate transparent overdrive? The best I've tried so far. Not cheap, though. And somebody should a/b one of these against an MXR Timmy. I'm guessing it's not worth double the money, unless it is, and since I already spent the money it doesn't matter. My major problem last this point is how to jam this onto my already overcrowded board.

(Available at Humbucker, too, last time I checked.)

smoothrecluse

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I made a diy version using pedalpcb’s board, and I agree, it’s an amazing pedal. It’s super versatile without coloring your sound too much.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I'm using an earlier clone, but I'm a Timmy fan. Clean boost, EQ section, gain as you like it. Makes it easy to swap guitars with different characteristics.

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
putinpopcorn.jpg

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Naah old timer. You posted on a public thread inviting people to reply with their take on your post. You don’t like my reply so you get snarky.
No I did not, bub . That would be the long-time forumite known here as "KC".
And I am inviting you to show that poster some respect.

Cordially. :)

G Stone496

Tele-Meister
No I did not, bub . That would be the long-time forumite known here as "KC".
And I am inviting you to show that poster some respect.

Cordially. :)
Whoever posted the original post was not disrespected. My comment was essentially that I wasn’t crazy about v-1 or v-2 and probly wouldn’t like v-3 either. Sorry, I just don’t like the Tim or Timmy sound. Your mileage might vary and that is OK too.

Last edited:

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I am also not a Timmy fan.
I know plenty are though, so I let them be.
I mean, it's not like we're discussing any important opinions that need correcting, like the beatles, or anything

G Stone496

Tele-Meister
I am also not a Timmy fan.
I know plenty are though, so I let them be.
I mean, it's not like we're discussing any important opinions that need correcting, like the beatles, or anything
I let most things be. Sleeping dogs lie and all that.

When I see a post with glowing praise, I believe he used the words “best pedal ever,” “ultimate transparent overdrive,” “the best I've tried so far,” then I believe a flip side or a voice of moderation is not out of order.

Peace out bruh.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
he actually said "in the running for best dirtbox ever, to my ears"
and
"The ultimate transparent overdrive? The best I've tried so far."
Plenty of qualifiers there, stating it was simply opinion.
But you know, interpret as you will. As you have.
You do you.

Yep. peace to you, bruh

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Whoever posted the original post was not disrespected. My comment was essentially that I wasn’t crazy about v-1 or v-2 and probly wouldn’t like v-3 either. Sorry, I just don’t like the Timmy. Your mileage might vary and that is OK too.

We were all wondering what your thoughts on the Timmy are, and what better way to express that than by crapping in someone’s NPD thread? Well done. Thanks so much for letting us all know. :rolleyes:

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Nothing much to say except it's in the running for the best dirt box ever, to my ears. I'll confess I'm in the honeymoon phase -- had this thing a month or so -- but man is this easy to get along with. Plug a tele in & it sounds like a tele. Plug a Strat in, sounds like a Strat, ditto a Les Paul. The nice thing about his is the balance of the tone settings & the gain structure, with the bass coming before dirt and the treble after. Plug a Gibson in, dial back the low end to keep it from mushing out, dial in a little brightness and you're off to the races. So far it plays nicely with Marshall, Orange, Vox and Fender amps. The boost I'm still getting used to but it's a lot more than a simple volume jump.

The ultimate transparent overdrive? The best I've tried so far. Not cheap, though. And somebody should a/b one of these against an MXR Timmy. I'm guessing it's not worth double the money, unless it is, and since I already spent the money it doesn't matter. My major problem last this point is how to jam this onto my already overcrowded board.

(Available at Humbucker, too, last time I checked.)
Glad you like it. I tried one yesterday (the bigger Tim V3 not the Timmy) and it reminded me of the same experiences I had with the V1 and V-2.

I was able to get boost and some drive but not much more gain-wise. It had compression too early and the highs were too emphasized. Din't have enough "body."

Might try it again as a buddy has one. Based on yesterday though, probly won't buy one. I like the versatility and sound of a Boss SD-1 and Boss BD-2 better. I know, diffrent types of pedals, but the Tim 3 hasn't convinced me yet so far.

Last edited:

Whateverdude

Tele-Meister
Glad you like it. I tried one yesterday (the bigger Tim V3 not the Timmy) and it reminded me of the same experiences I had with the V1 and V-2.

I was able to get boost and some drive but not much more gain-wise. It had compression too early and the highs were too emphasized. Din't have enough "body."
First off HNPD! That’s exactly how I remember V1 was. I no longer own it, YMMV.

Brett Valentine

Tele-Meister
I'm also not crazy about it as a gain pedal, but as a thickening stacking boost with a little bit of touch sensitive break up on the attack as first pedal in the chain (before any gain, before compressor), it'll be on every board I set up.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve never tried a Tim or Timmy but I’ve always been curious.
I gave a Greer Lightspeed that is a great transparent low-medium overdrive.

Curious, will the Tim or Timmy do medium to higher gain (ZZ-Top to Zeppelin)?

I don’t feel that I need another low-gain pedal with owning the Lightspeed which I never plan to sell.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
I've had one of the original TIM pedals for at least 10 years. A/B tried many a clean boost against the TIM. There are some good ones out there for sure, none so far better for that purpose than the TIM. Timmy would be the same - is much the same in sound - but the gain knob taper is quite different. I found the Timmy difficult to use; the range of useful (to me) gain settings occur in a much narrower range of pedal sweep, vs. the TIM. So TIM stays.

BTW, I have no idea what the latest versions of the pedals are like, whether they are different from the TIM and Timmy pedals I've used.

snottyboy

Tele-Meister
I’ve never tried a Tim or Timmy but I’ve always been curious.
I gave a Greer Lightspeed that is a great transparent low-medium overdrive.

Curious, will the Tim or Timmy do medium to higher gain (ZZ-Top to Zeppelin)?

I don’t feel that I need another low-gain pedal with owning the Lightspeed which I never plan to sell.
The EQ of the Tim/my is flat. I have used one or the other as a "little more of my amp" and "tone shaper" pedal for years. For that application, I know of nothing better (**have not tried a Lightspeed). Bumping the gain for a little more breakup works. However, as a gain pedal, I generally go for something else and would certainly look elsewhere for the tones you mention. But then, everything is rig dependent, so...