1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tim Overdrive or......

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by stevics, Jul 29, 2011.

1. stevics

stevics Tele-Meister

I am wanting an overdrive with boost and have sort of narrowed it down to three

Fulltone Fulldrive
    TRex Moller
    Paul Cochrane Tim

I have tried the Fulldrive and the Moller and of the two I think just favor the Moller

However, I really like what I have heard about the Tim and don't mind waiting. Any one out there got a view on the Tim compared to the other two?

2. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Best out there is the Kingsley Jester, tried all you have listed and it totally wipes the floor with them. It's a larger footprint, tube based pedal and it sounds amazing. Basing my judgement purely on clips, but not personal experience the Himmelstrutz Fetto Nord seems a good option too if you want something with a smaller footprint.

Also if you are looking for overdrives that can be used as boosts I just built a pedal as an overdrive for kicks and realized it sounds even better as a boost. It made everything sound tighter and more punchy. That happens a lot, just look at the popularity of the Klon Centaur mostly based on it's use as a boost. Maybe you could just look for a separate overdrive and just use it with the distortion rolled back instead of having a pedal with dual overdrive and boost.

Then there are the dedicated booster pedals. EP style preamp pedals, Rangemaster variants, Micro Amps, etc. Sometimes a straight out booster is best. I always have a Rangemaster handy.

3. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

I've never tried the TRex but I've tried the Fulldrive and own a Timmy. The Timmy and the Fulldrive are WAY different pedals. The Fulldrive has way more gain on tap, and has a bit more of a mid hump. The Timmy is very tweakeable, meaning you have a lot more sonic options. I use my Timmy to add just a hair of grit to leads and it works wonderfully. I say its like turning your amp from 4 to 6, just adds a little dirt. There is still plenty if gain on tap with the Timmy and you have control over the amount of bass and treble instead of just tone. So I guess I like the Timmy more, YMMV.

4. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

Hey Tele-Monster....I love your signature "You gonna play it, or polish it?"

That is SO me. Not the polish part...

5. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

6. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

TIM is a great pedal. I use it as a clean boost mainly, but the boost side is just as good. Several excellent OD pedals have come and gone at my house because the TIM boost sounded as good or better.

MD

7. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Tele-Meister

They don't get mentioned a lot around these parts but do yourself a favour and check out the G2D Creamtone.

G2D Creamtone

Snowy

8. stevics

stevics Tele-Meister

9. Sikor

Sikor Tele-Meister

I didn't play other 2 pedals, but played dozens of other
    and Tim is one the finest drives for sure :)

I couldn't recommend it enough :!:

10. romo

romo Tele-Meister

I have a Tim and love it, but keep in mind that the boost section is not independent from the other channel. It only works when the main pedal is on, and it is not really useful as an additional volume boost, but rather it can either add gain or change the character of the gain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.