Tim, I can't tell the difference...

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'm just a cover music player ( in a Blues/Country/R&R direction, but do a lot of gigs)
And I find that:
- I really do sound ( and maybe try to) sound the same on any guitar I own or pickup
- the pickup (s) selection I choose, and use of Tone controls, OD ( pedals) definitely trump whatever guitar I'm actually playing.

There of course may be different 'shading' on the sound produced, depending on the guitar played, but I seem to dial in 'me'

It even comes through when playing an acoustic with NO options, just PA Reverb.
( I play the same stuff, be it on acoustic or electric/effects)

It all sounds more 'same' than 'different' regardless of guitar

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've stated here before, that I can get an acceptable sound (to me) on almost any guitar I pick up. I have preferences on things like pickups, strings and amps, but almost any combination can work, if it has to. The ultimate deciding factor for me is the guitar's "feel". Is the neck beefy enough that my hand doesn't cramp? Is the weight such that it doesn't get too heavy on a gig? Does it balance well on a strap? These and other factors are what determine whether I "like" a particular guitar. ;)

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
So you basically watched a PRS commercial and enjoyed it very much. Nice :)

Yeah, Tim Pierce seems like a really nice guy and of course an incredible player, but I knew immediately before watching it was going to be a PRS. He plays other guitars yes, but his channel is basically one big plug for PRS.

PRS guitars are consistently excellent. Probably the most consistent big name brand out there. But yeah, it all sounds like Tim Pierce to me.

Obsessed

Telefied
Ad Free Member
He is an awesome player and does shed some light in a variety of things, but for some reason, I cannot bond with his videos at all. Nevertheless, shouldn’t we all sound like ourselves?

nedray

Tele-Meister
Just watching Tim Pierce Guitar's latest YouTube video. What a great player, and what a nice guy he seems to be. He's talking about his latest PRS guitar, with the extra-wide flame maple top, and its other amazing deluxe attributes. He demos the guitar and it sounds great, as does everything Tim plays - the musical slight distortion, the tasteful echo and reverb, the fluid licks up and down the neck.

Tim, you're a monster player, so easy to listen to. But I can't tell the difference between this PRS and the other PRSes, and the Gibsons, and the this, and the that. Whatever expensive guitars you play in your wonderful virtuoso fashion...

... they all sound the same to me!

Good point. And then, if it's the same video I watched last night, at the end, you learn that the real reason for the video is to plug a 4-day virtual instruction course that PRS is selling. Now the course might be great, and at 100 bucks it's relatively affordable, but I felt sorta used...

DekeDog

Friend of Leo's
Duke Robillard did a CD that listed the guitars he used- four of them, all of which I owned. On one cut, I guessed he used an LP Studio when he actually used a Gretsch with Filtertrons. Cue the fail-buzzer.

8trackmind

Tele-Afflicted
I'm just a cover music player ( in a Blues/Country/R&R direction, but do a lot of gigs)
And I find that:
- I really do sound ( and maybe try to) sound the same on any guitar I own or pickup
- the pickup (s) selection I choose, and use of Tone controls, OD ( pedals) definitely trump whatever guitar I'm actually playing.

There of course may be different 'shading' on the sound produced, depending on the guitar played, but I seem to dial in 'me'

It even comes through when playing an acoustic with NO options, just PA Reverb.
( I play the same stuff, be it on acoustic or electric/effects)

It all sounds more 'same' than 'different' regardless of guitar

Totally agree. I'll put on my fire retardant suit and also mention that I'll play a Telecaster, or a Stratocaster interchangeably at a gig. They are not miles apart playing through the same rig.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Totally agree. I'll put on my fire retardant suit and also mention that I'll play a Telecaster, or a Stratocaster interchangeably at a gig. They are not miles apart playing through the same rig.

I kind of think 'my sound',

( and it's nothing unique, just serviceable to me)

starts with the combination of using a clean amp with Reverb, goosed with an always ON OD ( at low-moderate Drive).

So the tone is detailed and clean, but will break up depending on how hard you pick strings, or turn up guitar volume.

Then, pair that amp+ OD up with guitar X, use everything ( controls) of the guitar, and just 'paint!'

howlin

Tele-Afflicted
With all the guitars that PRS gives away it makes me wonder how many SEs they've been selling. For reference look at the guitar they recently made for Tyler Larson. Anyway, it's always the amateurs that carry the pros when it comes to products like this.

When I got my first Hasselblad (as a working photographer) someone was commenting on the price and I remarked, "Just imagine how much they would be if it weren't for all those doctors & lawyers out there buying them". I'm sure it's the same with other items...