1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"tilted" Pickups To Achieve More Wiry Twang?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Royal Tele, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

So, I picked up a late model Tele in a guitar store the other day. Plugged it into the same amp that I own and play at home. This Tele seemed to have WAY more of that wiry/stringy sounding twang than I hear out of my own Tele at home. (I will go ahead and admit that it could very well be because it was a "new" guitar at a store, and I convinced myself it sounded different/better.) BUT--I did notice that the bass side of the bridge pickup was set noticeably lower than the treble side. (Whereas the bridge pickup on my Tele at home is set as level as I can get it, mainly because the radius at the bridge is 16" on my Tele. I figured this would give me the most consistent response across the strings?) I've seen and read about Strat players doing this with the pickups in their Strats to achieve more of that classic wiry/stringy sound. Is this true across the board? If I want more of that kind of sound out of my Tele, should I try setting the bass side of the pickup lower and the treble side of the pickup higher?

2. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Try it and see, it's easy enough to do and reverse. I set my pickup tilt by ear, and it varies across guitars and pickups.

3. Bourboncaster

Bourboncaster TDPRI Member

+1 it always depends on the pickups but you can usually achieve your "optimal tone" by adjusting the height and angle of any decent pickups.

4. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Alright, cool. I've got a Lolar Vintage T in the bridge. I'd consider that a decent pickup at the least. So I'll let you guys know what happens when I fiddle with it.

5. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Alot of guys here, including myself, use the Bill Lawrence "nickel" method as a starting place and adjust by ear from there. You can search it out on this site. But with that method, the bass side of the pickup starts out close to twice as far from the bottom of the 6'th string as the treble side is away from the 1'st string. It's interesting to me because my ear has told me the same for many, many years. I always end up with the treble side of the pickup higher than the treble side to achieve what I consider an optimum balance, especially with single coils. Give it a try.

6. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Was the Tele in the store with less string break angle than your Tele?
    (Less break angle can contribute to a looser, more of that stringy jaw harp tone on the wound strings).

String gauge the same as yours?

Your pup compared to the store's??

Several factors can contribute possibly.

7. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My bass side is always lower than the treble.

8. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

I'll bet that the new Tele has thinner strings as well. Try stringing up the Tele with your brand and gauge of strings then go to the P/U height adjustments to get the sound you are after.

9. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I always plug my guitars into a mixer and check the high and low E strings to get a rough setting on the pickups. LED's don't lie. And no FX or signal manipulation along the way. Every passive pickup I own tends to need the treble side adjusted closer to get a proper balance. EMG's sound OK equidistant from the strings on both ends.

10. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I run my AV62 pups way lower on the bass side, more to keep the bass from overpowering the trebles. I get plenty of 'twang' with that '62 bridge pup regardless of how I position it but would guess it's more noticeable without the bass tones stomping all over it.

11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I want a pinball-inspired light on my Tele that flashes TILT whenever I play something particularly awesome...

Blue Bill and sockgtr like this.
  12. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

as a rule the bass side should be lower than the treble side.
    (bass strings are bigger and thus have more power and will
    overpower the smaller treble strings)
    But I noticed if your pickup is too high it will actually sound balanced
    when both sides are even.

I bet your tele pickup at home has the pickups too high.

13. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Yeah, I use 10's on my Tele, while the Tele at the store definitely had 9's on it. I also remembered that the Tele at the store was an Ash body, while mine is an Alder body. (Ash is brighter and a bit more snappy, isn't it?) The one in the store had the latest noiseless pickups that Fender has come out with, too. I've got a Lollar Vintage T in mine.

But with all of that said, I tried out the Bill Lawrence method, set the low E side of my pickup 10/64" beneath the low E when fretted at last fret, and set the high E side of the pickup only 5/64" beneath the high E (which creates QUITE a tilt on that pickup!), and it sounded MUCH better right away! I'm very pleased with the results that came from such a simple adjustment. So thanks for the advice! I typically have my strings all sitting at about 6/64" above the 17th fret, so when fretted at the last fret and when the pickup is adjusted accordingly, you can imagine that I ended up lowering the pickup overall quite a bit. Great sounds coming out of that setup!

14. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

I'll be the odd man out, I set my bass side higher. I also set my tone control almost totally counterclockwise. Otherwise I can't get over the treblyness. It probably sounds like crap though, because I don't hear bass frequencies that well.

15. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Yay, glad to hear that worked for you too! :)

16. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

another reason the bass side should be lower is because alnico magnets have a proximity effect.
    The closer the strings are to the magnets the more the bass is accentuated over the treble.
    Interestingly ceramic mags dont have this effect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.