TikTok "challenges"

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I'm also a teacher, and our building is missing at least 25% of the students today due to worries over this Tik Tok "challenge". Could somebody show me anything positive that has come out of this app?
I am not a Tik Tok person. I don’t have an account. As I recall a couple years ago in, I think, China there were some human rights concerns and the Government blocked the Internet. Residents could get out messages and videos via Tik Tok. That and similar things were positive. Most things, especially online, can be used for good or evil.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
monthly challenges:

September: Vandalize school bathrooms

October: Smack a staff member

November: Kiss your friend’s girlfriend at school

December: Deck the halls and show your balls

January: Jab a breast

February: Mess up school signs

March: Make a mess in the courtyard or cafeteria

April: “Grab some eggz” (another stealing challenge)

May: Ditch day

June: Flip off in the front office

July: Spray a neighbor’s fence

yeah a good few of those are indictable offences. what's the position on a social media app encouraging its users to break the law?

Redleg37

Tele-Meister
The latest one is the textbook definition of terrorism.

A local school got a threat because of this stupid challenge. We may have to pull our kids out from school today because of it.

Redleg37

Tele-Meister
That happens a lot too, since pre-internet.

People tampering with Tylenol bottles and tainting the medicine? One documented case, though the guy may have done it multiple times, I forget.

People contaminating Halloween candy with drugs to pass onto unwitting children? One case, and it was a BS story concocted by one guy to cover for himself when his nephew found his drug stash, took a bunch and died.

There was a tainted Halloween candy case where a guy took life insurance on his kids, poisoned their pixie sticks, and used the insurance money from his dead son to pay off his debts. It's why pixie sticks are sealed now instead of just stapled like they used to be.

The tylenol killer is specifically why OTC medications have tamper resistant seals on them now.

There is a youtube channel called "Casual Criminalist" that has episodes on both these cases.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Over 50 percent of our students out today, eight teachers of a staff of 24 classroom teachers ...

On a lighter note, Parented the Stupid is my new band name ...

:)

4mo051.jpg

BrokenTele

TDPRI Member
The problem isn’t the app, it’s the user.

Douyin is an incredible platform, and is doing so much more legwork for the content creator than the other SM giants ever did. Just because trends and challenges in one of its smaller markets tend to make headline news often, doesn’t mean the site is the problem.

More discourse, trends, disinformation is spread on Facebook, Reddit and Twitter, but a Tik Tok headline with the youth being the vast majority of those seen in video will always trend higher and amplify the noise.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Stuff like this really makes me wonder if age limits shouldn't be put on internet accesses and smart phones, like alcohol and cigarettes are today etc. I make regular road trips and the number of kids I see going down the highway at 80+ MPH and txt'ing (both night and day driving) at the same time is staggering to me. They're not just risking their own lives but also the lives of everyone else around them... very scary indeed.

littlebadboy

Tele-Afflicted
At the risk of a ban, I won't mention anything specifically (use the Google machine), but as a public educator I am so over them.

If parents would only parent ...
I feel the same sentiment. Why do kids have access to these things anyway? I bet they are having fun seeing what happens when they do these things, such as school shutdown/closure, police/fire department visitations, and etc. I know that some kids actually do this when just because they forgot homework or to skip a quiz.

Parents need to learn how to parent. Kids need to be accountable for their actions. It is frustrating how society is like nowadays... entitled ones and all.

highwaycat

Tele-Holic
Kinda funny how the big corporations promote this app.
How about don’t let big corporations influence your family?
How about turning off the tv?
Cuz we all know what generation controls the media.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Totally agree. Whatever happened to selfie sticks and people walking backwards off cliffs to get the perfect insta pic? Simpler times.

But in all seriousness, people are kept alive by technology who would otherwise suffer from Darwinism so it’s a give-get relationship with science.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That happens a lot too, since pre-internet.

People tampering with Tylenol bottles and tainting the medicine? One documented case, though the guy may have done it multiple times, I forget.

People contaminating Halloween candy with drugs to pass onto unwitting children? One case, and it was a BS story concocted by one guy to cover for himself when his nephew found his drug stash, took a bunch and died.

Those chain emails you get about not flashing your high beams at cars because it'll make you a target for a gang initiation (lots of variations on this one).

Don't get me started on the whole Satanic Panic.

Didn’t Satanic Panic play at Bonaroo?