1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tightening a nut without causing the bolt head to just spin freely. How?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by _MementoMori_, Mar 4, 2021.

1. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

They sound like carriage bolts. I would measure the bolts. Get the diameter of the shank and the diagonal size of the square shoulder. Then I'd measure the diameter of the worn side of the holes. Put the table together and use it for now.
    Then I'd order 8 new bolts, nuts, washers in a larger diameter. For example if they are 3/8" bolts maybe order 7/16" bolts. Worst case you have to drill the holes larger to accommodate the larger shanks. To minimize splintering around the hole, use the trick of running the drill backwards. (I think that was @Peegoo 's )

upload_2021-3-4_14-37-58.png

Peegoo and _MementoMori_ like this.
  2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

This makes a lot of sense and doesn't seem incredibly difficult since the holes are already there and I just need to open them up a little. The plus side is that I get to replace the bolts with scratched up heads from my hackjob repair attempts.

3. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you want a smaller bolt head relative to the square and the shank you can also check out plough bolts.
    upload_2021-3-4_14-48-14.png

4. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Drill out the hole to a larger size and glue in a dowel. Drill a small pilot hole through the centre of the dowel. Drill in the depth of the square shank with a drill bit that is the same size as the distance across the flats of the square shank. Then, drill the hole through for the bolt shank size. When you put the bolt back in give the head a sharp tap with a hammer and the corners of the square shank will embed into the timber.

5. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

Why not just use a different style of bolt. or use a strip of metal around the square part of the shaft to enlarger it.

6. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Before going to solutions that require more effort and skill...

Borrow/acquire an impact driver. One of the common 12-18v cordless type.
    Give the nuts a couple of "raps" and it will often begin to tighten the assembly. If the bolt snugs up a little it gets harder to spin in its bore and a couple more impact "raps" and your good to go.
    This is assuming, as previously mentioned- you havent got threads that are "bottomed out" or some other mechanical reason the nuts wont go further onto the bolts.

7. Winky

Winky TDPRI Member

Clean and lubricate the threads so that you get enough clamping force to lock the head before the torque builds too much.

8. irie

irie Tele-Holic

use a split washer (aka helical spring washer) in between the nut and the stud. You will also likely need a flat washer between the split washer and the table depending on how it is designed.

So in order: Nut > Split Washer > Flat washer > Stud

9. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I'd just buy new button head bolts to use with an allen wrench.

10. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

How about super gluing a nut onto to bolt head? Once tightened you can remove it with acetone. Not sure how much torque you could apply before it shears, but I'd guess that you can get it reasonably tight.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.