Tiger did it!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Apr 14, 2019.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's plenty of examples that wife cheating is no deal breaker, even among the outwardly religious and I don't see golf as a sport that PED's would tip the scales. I think it would be nice if the known scumbags would work as hard to change their lives as Tiger has.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

To be fair, Tiger didn't just have a one night stand with the gal at the office, he was far more active and for far more time to just give him a pass. It isn't the main reason that I dislike the guy, but I do find it hard to cheer for such a man at the same time.

We disagree about PED's helping in golf though. PED's provide strength, stamina, endurance.....and focus. Fatigue causes atheletes to perform worse and lose focus and having an edge in those areas would certainly be helpful down the stretch. Let's not forget that Tiger wins events from behind late in the rounds, he doesn't dominate the leader position early in the tournaments. As the shots pile up and players get tired, a golfer using PED's could have a real advantage in that he doesn't suffer from that same fatigue. Now you still have to be a great golfer to begin with as no drug is going to improve your swing, just as no drug can make you hit a 95 mph fastball into the cheap seats, but it can give you an advantage down the stretch. Let's face it, every little thing to get an edge helps. Be it club design, shoes, a glove, etc., they all add up to benefits and a drug that can provide energy and focus certainly qualifies as gaining an edge.

As an old man who used to compete in endurance running, then becoming ill to the point of being told that I might not survive, my return to run the Marine Corps Marathon a week after major surgery at the Mayo Clinic is one of my proudest moments. It was a terrible time (5:20), but I came a long ways to get there (5 years) so I do understand what it is like to come back from the dead like Tiger's career has done with this win. I just don't believe that his career wins are all from his talent and work alone so I have trouble getting too excited for the guy.

I do regret even bringing up the topic, I just reacted to the thread of Tiger Woods and his victory the way that I felt. I didn't want to drag anything into the weeds and turn it into an inquisition against the guy....time will tell about whether I am right or not. I will leave this at that and bow out of the conversation.

3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not a big golf fan not my thing tried golf not for me. I do know who Tiger is and know he's got more people playing golf than anyone else. Good for Tiger

4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yesterday when I tuned in to watch the Masters, the first thing I noticed was his walk, like the old Tiger. We haven't seen that in a long time.

8barlouie and Nickadermis like this.
  5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

The man DOES have a checkered past, that involves him foolin' with another woman and a DUI arrest. Hopefully, he got the help he needed.

I believe in second chances, and seeing him with his kids, after winning the tournament, made me smile.

I only saw the last 3 holes of the tournament, but based upon what I saw, the Tiger is BACK!

uriah1 and Colo Springs E like this.
  6. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Greg LeMond taking the 1989 Tour with scant team support a couple years after nearly getting shotgunned to death?

Biggest comeback. But Tiger was impressive today.

7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

blah blah blah blah........ I dont care.

At all.

Congrats Tiger!!

kelnet likes this.
  8. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

I must have been watching a different golf tournament. Tiger shot -2 today!
    I didn’t see him dominate anyone. I saw a lot of players on the leaderboard choke (Molinari). There where a bunch of guys that shot better than Tiger the last two days but his total score just came out better. It definitely to me wasn’t like the old Tiger.

My question is - would it have killed him to high five a fan, especially one of the kids on his way off the 18th green?!?!?!

Milspec likes this.
  9. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Im guessing you know him personally? That's pretty cool.
    I've never met anyone who has never been a jerk.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not a golf fan, but I like hearing this. Good goin' Mr. Woods.

11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Like I said before, some people get way too emotional about their heros. Believe in him as you will and I will as I do and we will get along fine.

12. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’m not a big Tiger Woods fan and actually pulled for a couple of other guys to hang in and win it. Like the OP I didn’t think he’d win another major.

That said, it was a great win for him, almost unbelievable if you follow the game. My hats off to Tiger tonight.

Milspec likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been watching Tiger since he was an amateur, watched him do some wrong things as a pro. From what I can see of him, he's kind of like scrooge, he's not the man he was, but a changed man. I've seen him talk to people, slap the hands of kids, in general be what people wanted him to be, and it's all came about since his life changing back operations. It seems to me he has perhaps discovered what's important in life.

I find it somewhat ludicrous that a bunch of musicians where drugs, alcohol, and illicit affairs are a way of life in the music business can cast a disparaging eye towards Tiger. I'd say he's small potatoes on all of it compared to some of the most famous rock stars. As to his women, his ex old lady tore down a 12 million dollar house pretty much for spite one time, or so it's been reported, just maybe old Tiger hit the road looking for love, cause there wasn't any at home. (pure speculation right there)

14. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

He played with maturity.. beautiful course management.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

He did high five more than one kid coming off the eighteenth green. He played all four days consistently which is why he won. This weekend no one else held together consistently through the whole tournament. He also played eighteen safely for a bogey one because he knew he had a stroke. I am not really a Tiger fan but it was fun to watch.

fendertx and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Great golfer who went off the rails in a number of ways for a while but worked hard to get back on track professionally and personally. I find it inspiring. Congrats Tiger.

17. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

Ok, he won a match, but I get real tired of hearing about nothing but Tiger in any match - even when he isnt playing. The media has a hard-on for him and that is undeniable.

There are a lot of great players on the tour - they win too. This time it was his turn. This is not a Second Coming.

Milspec and omahaaudio like this.
  18. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

What joke is that?

dan1952 likes this.
  19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Who would have paid him to do it?

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Bad analogy.

Armstrong's "results" depend overwhelmingly on PEDs. We cut him a break because he had arisen from the cancer bed and we desperately wanted cancer survivors to have a sense they could survive and thrive - and so we all looked the other way.

Woods' failings are all associated with an inability to find a grounded way of life, after success was achieved. No amount of PEDs can make a golf contestant succeed over others - there may be some advantages but if the other core elements are not there, IMO you're going to misfire. IMO, Woods' back injury never happens if he's in a good place, centered around his sport and the basic obligations of the sport. IMO he got hurt because he was distracted from what he did best.

+

I'm just worried that Woods still doesn't exactly have his feet on the ground. It remains to be seen if he can be a whole person.His golf game is back, but will it make him unsettled again as it did before? Either way, Tiger's win was a shot in the arm for a Country that's badly divided. And it will IMO help the game of golf like nothing in the last 5 years has done.

+

So much of this IMO has to do with "image management" though. People thought Tiger was a Boy Scout and IMO his team should've never let the Public imagine such a thing of him. Let people believe he was a playboy, if he was. Isn't it the ultimate irony that Lance Armstrong, the Most Corrupt Athlete Ever, lived what appeared to be an exemplary lifestyle when away from the bikes?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    P Thought and bcorig like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.