Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Looking good Jup but for shop safety sake, please consider shaving your fore arms. You are a fire hazard!

JazzHands and johnnyha like this.
  2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That's an excellent plan, Jupe. Probably even better if I understood one word of it, but no doubt, excellent. :mad: These Gibsons are troublesome guitars, aren't they?

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

It is surprisingly difficult to explain these things clearly to Fenderish folk. :D

But yeah, there sure are a lotta steps to just getting a guitar body! Even a sludge like me can get a tele body cut out of a plank and routed in a day. Well, a weekend, maybe. I mean, I've never actually DONE it, but... :oops:

But not so troublesome, really, so far, in the sense that each procedure has been fairly simple; there are just a lot of procedures, and most of them involve cutting up wood that's not even going to wind up as part of the guitar, which can feel a little weird sometimes. I'm collecting a mighty big stack of oddly chopped up plywood around my bench. Don't really know what I'm going to do with it all after this is done. Am I really going to ever make another one? :confused: The next thing I'm interested in is a small-body acoustic archtop. Or some kinda bari. And this lap steel for my FIL. Jeez, I'll be over 60 before I get through alla that stuff...

Anyway, you'll see my rubber soon enough. :cool:

4. Barncaster

? Think of the children man!!!

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. Jupiter

It literally had to be said. :p

6. Jupiter

'Kay, so this is what I'm talking about. First, 10mm thick neoprene, to conform to the arch when I press down.
    image.jpeg

You can see that leaves the plate sitting proud a fair bit--not too much, I hope...
    image.jpeg

My goal is for the sides of the plate to sit flush on the form once I crank everything down, just to help make sure that the plate stays flat, instead of getting some funky warp glued into it.

Then the spruce will go down, and it gets the Hard Rubber Treatment:
    image.jpeg

Again, 10mm, but much more rigid than the neoprene underneath. This should allow the kerfing to flex a bit to conform to the side-to-side curvature of the arch.

Then a plywood caul on top of that, and... Some kind of clamping system, I dunno :rolleyes:. None of my clamps are deep enough to reach to the middle. I have a square of plywood that might work on top of the whole shebang.
    image.jpeg

Any reason why that might not work?

I probably don't need to worry that much about all this; the plates are NOT as deep as my PDF, which means this spruce is gonna get planed pretty thin by the time it's flush, so it prolly won't have much effect on the shape of the plates no matter what I do...but just in case, I'm worrying about it.;)

7. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Make a plaster cast. Use it as a backer. Saran wrap over plate then your plywood cutout then pour in plaster. Level.

jpbturbo likes this.
  8. Jupiter

Does that mean you don't have faith in the neoprene underneath? 'Cuz the plaster cast does seem good, especially if I were going to make a bunch of these, but as a one-off (or maybe two off?), it sounds like a whole-weekend side trip. Gotta find plaster somewhere in Japan (not impossible, but I haven't seen it before in my usual haunts), and I've never worked with it before.

I dry-fit my Plan A and it seemed to work well:
    image.jpeg

It is admittedly ugly, but I was able to get the plate down flush with the top of the form, with no cracking sounds, and it all looks copacetic... Am I missing something?
    image.jpeg

9. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

I didn't realize you had gotten that far. Looks like it'll work fine.
    Plaster is readily available in the hardware stores here so that's why I suggested it.

Jupiter likes this.
  10. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I thought he had one of your minions Rob.

11. Barncaster

Hmmmmmm, you're right. Maybe that was Mr. Yeknom's cousin Mr. Pmihc.

12. R. Stratenstein

You should get the plaster, Jupe. It'll come in handy when you get groupies, too.

"Then the spruce will go down, and it gets the Hard Rubber Treatment:"

Oh, you big savage, you!

(I don't need somebody to point out all the softballs pitched out there, but I'd feel better responding if Brainy's steady hand was still on the till at times like this. Dammit)

MM73, ajr969 and BluesBlooded like this.
  13. Jupiter

They're all for him; if they bring ol beeb to mind, they've done their job, whether anybody takes the bait or not.

14. Jupiter

So I glued er up before yesterday, started squeezing the juice out, and left everything for 12 hours. Every once in a while for the first couple hours, I went and snugged up the clamps a little, in case the foam pad was compressing.

This morning, I popped it out and took a look.
    image.jpeg

No apparent damage: that's a win, right? lol The spruce drifted a little bit under the clamps (about 1mm up and to the left); might need to think about that for the second one.

Seems reasonably flat still...
    image.jpeg

You can see that the foam underneath actually did compress about 50%. Not thrilled about that, but we'll let it sit a day and see if it springs back at all. I have another thin square of the same stuff that I can throw under there for the second one, or I might take a swing at Ken's plaster form.
    image.jpeg

After sitting there for a couple minutes, it seems that the plate is not perfectly flat. I might have clamped it too hard, but it's manageable; I can press it down easily with my fingers. I'll certainly clamp the edges down when I plane the spruce, and removing that material will probably let it lie flatter. Should be no problem when I glue the plate to the garland.
    image.jpeg

So now I'm questionizing myself: plane this flat (which sounds more fun), or do the other plate up (since I got all the jigs and stuff lying around already)...

15. R. Stratenstein

Looks good from here. It would make more sense to do the other side, since you got everything out. So I'd say, plane the one you just did. You need a break from practical every so often.

16. Jupiter

Okay, I'll--wait, what? o_O

17. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

You managed that quite well! It's looking darn good!

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

You're doing everything right Jupe! Can't wait to see/hear the finished product.:)

19. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Looks like it is coming together nicely. Great job!!

20. Jupiter

Thankee kindly!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.