Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wow, I just realized this thread has gone to 21 pages, as my iPad displays them, and I think I've managed to avoid offering so much as one helpful hint or straight answer to a question. That must be some kind of a record! Well, I did suggest not sparkling it with DPP, and although my intentions were pure, I was shouted down and humiliated except by one supporter who is now probably ashamed to admit he has my acquaintance. Nevertheless, I remain supportive and positive. I have to admit it really looks professional with the kerfing.
    Go, Jupe, go!

2. R. Stratenstein

Oh, please, not that! I specialize in, low, slow, and slightly outside. If I can see 'em coming in, I'll take a swing.
    Eventually.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  3. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I must be losing my edge.......

4. R. Stratenstein

S'OK, Rob, happens to all of us from time to time. One day you're Stud-Boy Magnificado, wake up the next day and you're uncle Flaccidity. Just don't give up. Stay in the saddle, it'll come back!

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

You guys have missed a couple others, but I'm not gonna tell ya where...

6. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Jupiter, I just wanted to let you know that I'm taking some time to go through your thread. It's interesting to see how you think things through and get help from this forum.
    Please ask if you have any specific questions for me.

Jupiter and RogerC like this.
  7. Jupiter

Thanks Ken! Glad to see you here. I did have a question back in Gil's thread. It's moot now, but I was wondering about the pros and cons on having a shorter center block, as opposed to one that extends the full length of the body. Did Gibson use both?

8. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Yes. The center block was done differently in different periods. For the first alteration from the solid one that you were doing wasn't cut out to fish the pots through.

That sounds little different The consensus is that it doesn't make that much of a difference although a little bit. But Eric Clapton played one of those.

The next alteration was in the 70s when they did some 355's with a split Block. Basically one for each of the cavities for the pick ups with a Gap in the middle. I have made one of those.

Alex Lifeson plays one of those.

Jupiter likes this.
  9. Jupiter

Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to cut a notch at the bridge PU cavity for the electronics. I actually considered putting in a rear access plate for a while, partly because I haven't yet wired up something that went perfectly the first time around :oops:, but then I decided that it would be about as much trouble as fishing stuff through.

I accept that some guys might be able to tell the difference between the solid block and one with a notch; I just don't think I'm one of those guys. :D Split block, maybe...

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

The Zen Master wants a hole in the block..... He told me so over lunch today.

11. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

About time you used that DPP. That’s why I hardly ever come around here any more. Got tired of waiting. Well that and all the cra…. stuff I catch for not finishing my mandos.

I’m only up to page 5 or 6 so you’ll have to excuse me while I catch up.

Some observations so far…

Good deal on the BS. Actually, this whole thread is full of BS. Of course I was talking about the band saw. Wish I could get things shipped that fast.

Probably a page & a half deciding on binding. Man, you do move fast!

I have the Dremel gizmo for binding. Works fine. Still have to cut some of the channel by hand in the tight curves (like the top horn of a Tele).

I thought you put the table on your band saw upside down until somebody complained about the pictures.

Whoa! Here we go. Page 6 - actually cutting something. Oh…..never mind.

Page 8 we finally get to talk about knobs. But just for the tuners.

OK OK after a couple pages of debate I get it. I need to sharpen my chisels. Are we building something here?

Page 11 - I think I saw something that looked like guitar parts. Hmmmm…they went away until page 14. Nope, my bad. Those were pictures of other folks parts. Clamp dummies.

Made it all the way to page 17. Still a bunch to go. I feel like skipping ahead, but I don’t want to miss anything. I mean, someone might get into a whole discussion on planes or something.

Page 18 - D’oh!

To get the sides to stay the shape you want, reverse your linings. Glue the kerfs to the sides instead of having them face the inside of the box like 99% of acoustics. It kind of makes an I-beam all around the rim. Geez, I hope I’m not too late. Just started page 20. I'd better post this and keep reading. Probably look like an idiot posting this far behind. That's OK, I'm used to that.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    RogerC and BluesBlooded like this.
  12. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Yep - I'm an idiot. Too late for the lining. Looks great though!

13. Jupiter

Too late! They did have that reverse binding stuff, but it was more expensive (okay, only a little).

Go ahead and catch up; we'll wait. ;)

14. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Oh I'm caught up. Just waiting for someone to say something witty. I think they might all be asleep on this side of the world.

Cool project. I'd really like to make a thin hollow body electric like this. I wouldn't even mind the sparkle, although that's not my style normally.

15. Jupiter

Well the sparkle is not a requirement for EVERYBODY--only for me. :D

It has been quite fun, and being able to source the curved bits so easily and cheaply is a huge advantage (don't know what folks can do in other parts of the world); I'm already thinking I might do another one, since the forms and jigs are the most labor-intensive parts so far...

16. Jupiter

He's gonna have to find his way out of the other guitar first!

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The rear access plate is a great idea. Once you start fishing the electronics in place, you'll wish you had done it.
    Just cut a hole, glue a couple of wood planks on the inside creating a shelf and cut a plate to fit. With the paint, you'll hardly notice the plate.

Tatercaster likes this.
  18. Jupiter

Well, yeah, 'cept the back's curved...

19. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Cut your hole with a thin blade, keep the cut out for your plate, then glue in tabs where you plan on putting the screw holes.

20. Jupiter

I think I'll just notch the center block. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.