1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ThumbPick Technique (Help!)

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Badabing, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

I have been using a thumbpick for a few years now and I am just really getting used to this technique..Love it!

I have a problem when I switch from my thumbpick to my fingers...the sound level drops off noticeably(to my ears) when I pick with my fingers and then louder again when I use my thumbpick...HELP!
    :confused::confused::confused:

Any ideas from Thumbpick users out there?? I play a CV50 Squire tele (all stock)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I think you'd have to lessen your attack with the Thumbpick, or get used to using the vol knob really quick when you change over. I'm no expert, but I am a finger style player.

3. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

:eek::eek::eek:

4. scrumley

scrumley Tele-Meister

Have you tried growing your fingernails out and picking with them rather than the tips of your fingers? It might take a while to adjust your technique, but it could be the answer. Either that or adjust your thumb attack.

5. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

I use the nail a tad, though I don't grow them out. Also, I think I attack harder with the fingers (more snapping and all that).

Also my thumbpick is the yellow speedpick. It's very light.

But I think it takes practice. Likes with most things. And I am terrible with that. I rather look for a "better" guitar. :p

6. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

so do you think it's the pickups?

7. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

No -it's just completely different with versus without a thumbpick.
    You just have to compensate with your volume and tone knobs because for me the thumbpck alters both.

8. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I gave up using thumb picks partially because of the volume difference. Unless you use finger picks, as well, it is tough to get fairly equal volumes and tonal characteristics. I use fingertips and bare thumb, now. The other reason for this is I always played much more smoothly not dealing with finger and thumb picks, although I used them for several years. Oh, and they are painful. I have to use a very tight pick on my thumb or it rolls around too easily because of the shape of my thumb and therefore it was always a little painful to use one for me.

You can adjust somewhat to compensate for the difference, and the listeners won't notice it nearly as much as you will, but it always drove me nuts if I was to use a thumb pick and bare fingertips.

9. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Would a compression sustainer perhaps help you with this? I have a Boss CS-3 (but any compressor would probably do) and that does a good job of evening out the levels when I play pick and fingers style.

10. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I generally play bare fingered. However, if I'm going to play something pretty fast, like Gatton or Hellecasters, I use these picks. Note that the index fingerpick is double-bladed, and can be used just like a flatpick.

Attached Files:

11. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Stan,
    I know you're watchin' this thread. I sent you a private message on how to make the double-sided pick. I hope it came through. Here's how you hold your thumb and index, to use that double-sided pick as a flatpick. Notice how short I've cut the thumbpick blade. If I have to use fingerpicks, I want them as close as possible to my fingers, so it almost feels as if I don't have them on.

Attached Files:

12. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Sounds like I could use a compressor and not have to change my picking technique..??
    Any compressor experts out there??
    Thanks!

13. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

I know nothing of compressors, haven't tried the good ones I guess. But I'd restate my use of the light speedpick (instead of the medium whatevers on the acoustic). Here's a quick comparison I did just now (lofi, bad playing, no editing, through loop pedal to desktop practice amp): https://www.box.com/s/d52de6d66eb3c80bae5f (First playing with just index finger, no nail, and then about the same with the speedpick light. Sure they sound different, but not that much that it'd bother me)

14. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

That white National is my favorite thumbpick....but it wasn't at first.
    i used to use those jointed ones with the narrow little pick part as they are easier when transitioning from flatpick or thumb only. Once I got used to the thumbpick I started teaching myself hybrid style with a flat pick.....how stupid...but they alol have a different sound I've found.

I can be lazier with Hybrid style it seems and it's easier for certain styles of rock.
    Sure, you can pinch the thumbpick just like a flat pick and hybrid pick at will too.
    But there are so many types of flatpicks compared to thumbpicks available.
    I just recently learned hybrid picking, like over the last 6 months or so.
    Now I can play 4 different styles, No pick, Thumbpick, flatpick.
    Sometimes, there's nothing that will supplant plain ol fingers.

15. sdlotus

sdlotus TDPRI Member

Jmiles thanks much you pm came thru fine and you did a great job telling me how you made the pick and use it.Thanks agin i'm sure lots of others here will be trying out your idea...........stan

16. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Great Stan! Just wasn't sure the PM made it through. Using the double-sided index fingerpick as a flatpick, lets you do anything, and change seamlessly. I've used mine for over 30 years!

17. HC

HC Tele-Holic

Yes, this is what a compressor does. It evens out the difference between loud and quiet sounds. And can be really helpful for thumb- and hybrid pickers.
    Go to your favorite music store and try out a few pedals. I really like the Wampler Ego Compressor, the blend knob makes it golden, but the MXR Super Comp is also very nice and transparent if you want something a bit cheaper. Good luck!

18. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

compressor...ahhhh.....relief!!!

I was hoping that I wasn't the first one to ever have this problem...I knew that somebody had to of come up with a solution for this problem..

However,

Do to this thread I have realized that I am WAY to heavy handed with my pick attack. More fun things to practice now!

19. Ken Carlson

Ken Carlson Tele-Meister

I play with a thumb pick as well. A compressor will definatly help. I have lots of free video lessons on my site that could help you out too. Hope this helps.

20. vincent

vincent Tele-Holic

+1. Ken is a master of the thumb pick hybrid picking. If anyone can help you with this style, it is Ken. Check out his site. Top notch instruction.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.