Throwing two neck humbuckers in HH guitar. (Need some help!)

FingerMyFrets

TDPRI Member
So I got my hands on two cort mason mb-1 neck pickups that I intend to throw in my HH ibanez. My question is which way would I face the poles/slugs on the bridge? Does it even matter?

I plan on wiring these with push pulls to have both in series as an option.

Here is a picture of the guitar it came out of. I'm just confused on the pickups polarity in correlation with both being neck pickups.

Edit: Also if anybody knows what colors CortxMason uses for their pickups that would be helpful. (I think Cort makes the pickups its just Mason designed.

Thanks!

CortMason.png

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
Doesn't really matter. Tradition puts the adjustable poles nearest the bridge, and your lead should be long enough (as a neck pickup) to mount it that way. But, if you put it the other way, it changes nothing. The poles may be closer to the strings, but they are smaller in diameter so, everything more or less equals out.

jayyj

Tele-Afflicted
It doesn't much matter. Typically the reason manufactures specify bridge and neck is the bridge is wound a little hotter to even a more even balance between the two but it's a relatively recent concept - on any vintage guitar I can think of they just made one type for the two positions. The pole piece orientation shouldn't matter.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Traditionally humbuckers are installed with the adjustable slug poles opposite each other - neck is towards the neck, bridge towards the bridge as in the guitar in your picture.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
FWIW the pickups themselves don't know they are 'neck' models, that only means something in relation to other pickups in a designated set.

NHFlyCaster

TDPRI Member
Umm, don't know how true this is, but the story is Peter Green put his neck pickup in backwards which gave him a sort of unique tone compared to his contemporaries.