Throwing out books / de-cluttering

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by w3stie, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Yep, it's hard to get rid of books, but every once in a while I go through and see if I can let go of something, and there are always a few these days.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I had to stop buying books and magazines, because once I acquire them I have a helluva time letting go.

3. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I love books and am a compulsive reader and here's the proof: in high school I was taking a leak at a party at a friend's house, and was mortified when I dropped the novel I'd grabbed on the way to the loo (had to have something to read!) into the bowl. Midstream, so to speak. It was obviously his parents books as most my friends only read the sports section. A quick solo survey assured me it was no worse for the damage, so I wiped it off and put it back on the way out, but I also recognized my problem.

I'm an English Major of course so love books but am tired of life's debris. Guitars, amps, tools, machines, hunting guns; they are obviously not debris, but books come and go and are not personal quite like a cherished circular saw. I've still got a few dozen books that will stay with me forever but donated most of the rest years ago. My better half saves everything, including 45 year old college Sociology textbooks and I may have to show her my other side again when we move.

4. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I've basically finished the shelf now and ended up with three times as many in the chuck pile as the keep pile. Some tough decisions ( my old flying training and air navigation books from long ago), and some not so tough - statistics! I was going to use the statistics books as mulch for the garden, but I figured it would kill the plants through boredom!

A bonus was a pile of old 12" vinyls with mostly dross, but some nuggets also like Liege & Lief by Fairport Convention, the Beatles plus some Larry Carlton. I don't have a record player, so may end up selling these or giving them away.

5. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

The only thing about those old Unix books is that they have a much better shelf life than almost all other faddish programming books about technologies or languages that are here today, gone tomorrow.

This classic Kernighan/Pike book is old, but it's still relevant for all the Linux now in use. It was already an old book when I first read it, and I learned a lot:

http://a.co/fkicXKz

P.S. I don't expect anyone here to know who Kernighan and Pike are, except of course @unixfish ;-)

6. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

1. I love giving books to my students.
    2. I'm choosier about what I buy, as opposed to borrow from the library. (But knowing what to choose comes with experience.)
    3. I too have a stack of academic journals that no one wants. Someone needs to save them in case of global catastrophe, but it won't be me. Also, the world can really get along without them.
    4. Some things it's hard to let go of, because to do so means admitting or deciding, "It's never going to happen," "That plan or investment came to nothing," or just "I shall never pass this way again."

Matt G and PacificChris like this.
  7. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

This is a major major problem for me. I'm an academic, a historian--I have what must be several tons of books. I'm out of room at home and at my office, and my kindle account has thousands of books in it. I've gone through them many times and managed to get rid of a lot, but it's never easy. When I was in grad school I'd would literally sell blood plasma before I'd sell books.

In the pre-internet age, having and keeping the books was actually a vital professional necessity. If I needed to know about the formation of farm cooperatives in Nebraska, i could consult a book on rural political organization in the gilded age. When a student came with a research idea, I would have a book that would get him or her started. It was necessary.

Now it's not. If I want to know about the origins of farm cooperatives, Wikipedia has a decent starter article and then Jstor and other online scholarly repositories are a few clicks away. There's much much less need for the actual physical books.

But I know how much effort goes into them, having written or edited three myself and it's extremely hard to just discard them. The problem of books is a really central problem in the larger social transition we are making. We are living through a bold restatement of Socrates' arguments against literacy, and in favor of memorization. The force of technology pushes us towards a world where no one remembers, because everything is available to look up.

8. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Bring them to the Salvation Army or a store like that. Others may like to have them.

9. w3stie

Yes, I'm not actually chucking them. We have an organisation called Lifeline that provides suicide phone counselling and other services. They hold a book fair every year and I'll be giving the books to that cause.

noah330 likes this.
  10. w3stie

That's really at the heart of why I've held on to the flying books 20 years since I last flew. The stats books however, were easy!

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My wife and I were English majors, so lots of books. When we moved to England a few years ago, we donated a few dozen boxes to the library.

12. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Mom was an English teacher and a librarian so I started reading early. Like before kindergarten so years, I know the feeling. The last time I moved I took all my books to the used book store. Got lots of store credit I'll never use but they just take up so much room. I don't even get newspapers anymore for the same reason. My trash is a pretty good walk and that stuff builds up fast. I just don't want the clutter until it's time for a trip to the dumpster

13. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

My word. Books and CDs alike. But we're shifting to a city apartment with much less space, so I'm presently surrounded by mountains of books that are going to friends or to Lifeline.

It's like cutting off a couple of fingers.

14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My wife is a book hoarder. We have 600 cookbooks, alone. We're thinning the herd and donating to the library bookstore.

15. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

There are a couple malls near me that have little mini-bookshelves; they could almost be birdhouses. The idea is, you can drop off a book or help yourself to a book - free. Sort of ironic, too, because these malls have NO bookstores.

I've yet to see a book I wanted in those exchange shelves, but I have been tempted to seed the system with some of my choice castoffs. Raise the bar, if you will.

Matt G likes this.
  16. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

I can't put a book in the trash. Would give away if possible.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's a bookcase for that in the games room of out ski condo, but the selection is usually romance novels, trashy best sellers and bibles.

18. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Old encyclopedias I can toss, but most other books I don't want to keep I give to Goodwill etc. or the local library. BTW old encyclopedias can be tossed into the recycle bin if you remove the covers. I'm in process of clearing out my place, and my Mom's home, as unfortunately she's in hospice there. Actually fortunately, in a way. She's 93 and very comfortable at home with a great caregiver, after suffering a massive stroke a month ago that left her unable to communicate more than yes or no, or even really recognize us.

19. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I don't. Most of the books that I have (Elvis-related) are first-run/first-print type of books so....I always wind up keeping those books.

Now, back when I collected "rag mags" like the Enquirer and crap like that, it wasn't hard to throw that stuff away.

However, I'm keepin' my Elvis books!!

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Just because they are books doesn't mean they hold any actual knowledge.
    I keep the non-fiction and reference books. That's about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.