Through bridge replacement bridge... Should I?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by yanick, Sep 3, 2014.

1. yanick

yanick TDPRI Member

Hello, I have an E-Series 1987 MIJ Squier telecaster. The original 'through bridge' bridge seems filmsy and low cost... My perception aside, are they good bridges? Good replacement suggestions (through bridge and fitting) for classic tele sounds... I like the idea of a 3 saddle bridge... Who are the key players in the tele bridge market?

The picture is a bridge similar to the one I have

Attached Files:

2. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

You're sort of correct in your assessment. It's basically just a piece of stamped and bent sheet metal but perfectly serviceable. Since you mentioned the fact that you prefer the vintage 3 saddle style, I like the stuff that Marc Rutters makes http://ruttersguitars.com/home.html and it's hard to find any better. Armadillo Guitar does some vintage style stuff in brass that's way cool as well http://www.armadilloguitar.com/shop...th=2_3&zenid=283a0bd045848473d49900579aab1d87 . There's Callaham that you can check out along with Hipshot and KGC. You can explore the inexpensive route from the discount houses such as this http://www.guitarfetish.com/3-Brass-Saddle-Tele-Bridge-Chrome--IN-STOCK_p_30.html or StewMac and Allparts. Angelas has reasonably priced genuine Fender parts and so does Warmoth if you prefer. Well...you get the idea. Lots of possibilities. Hope this helps...

3. yanick

yanick TDPRI Member

Thank you hot Dan... Do you (and anyone else) know if top loading replacement bridges (especially vintage 3 brass) fit on E series 1987 squier? Is it a standard (one size fits all ) or is it possible that it may be shorter therefore showing previous screw holes?

(Please excuse my sub-par english, it is a second language.

Thank you

4. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Most of the suppliers that I mentioned are very helpful and easily approachable by email. Simply tell them that you're looking to replace the top loader on your '87 E-Series MIJ tele with a 3 saddle type of higher quality and what would they recommend that will fit?

Your English is fine. It's my first language and I still can't get it right.

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the key here is the 3 screw fitting on yours.... (at the back) ....

. many Squier/Mex/replacement Tele bridges are a 4 screw fitting.... not too many have the extra holes on the front edge corners, either....

are US standards 3 holes still?...

something to be aware of on your search...:)

6. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I have a late '90s (~'98) "Crafted in Indonesia" Squier Tele that came with a bridge like the one you pictured, it had the through holes in the same relative location. If you install a shorter, vintage-spec bridge plate, it's the original 6 string through holes on the body, not the bridge mounting holes, that will be exposed. Below is a picture of that conversion on my Tele.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.