1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Throttle Box: With or without EQ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Richie Cunningham, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

So I’m going to order a Mesa/Boogie Throttle Box. There is a version available with a five-band EQ built in. It also has more knobs and switches and such. Which one sounds better?

B8CD81C0-7489-439B-8F6D-67CEEE37DAF3.jpeg CC1E3381-30EE-4D08-BED4-981D899DC7D3.jpeg

2. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

Bigger box = bigger tone

I'd probably get the one with more options unless there's a space issue with your pedalboard.

DougM likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Skip to 24:10

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Richie Cunningham likes this.
  4. Richie Cunningham

With.

5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

The ThrottleBox EQ seems much more versatile - "high gain" is not my wheel house, but based on "loVer boy"s review (how he demo'd them) above, I'd prefer the one with the EQ - its just so much more versatile.

6. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I have the one with the EQ, I am pleased with it. As mentioned it does take up a lot of room though. And yes I use the EQ.

7. Richie Cunningham

I like huge pedals. I like a full-size Big Muff Pi, even if I get the small reissues of all the others. I like full-size wah pedals and my V-Twin and my M5 and my RC30. The Throttle Box EQ will be in good company.

8. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I lucked into a used, non EQ Throttle Box, at a low price, before the EQ'd version was released.

I boosted it with a BBE Green Screamer, gain turned down to tighten up the bass and used my existing MXR 10 band EQ. This was going into a clean amp, Fender PA 100 head and 2x12 cab.

I am not a high gain player, so this is from memory. It was good at what the tester commented on, rythem OK, but the leads were very good.

I found that it could be played at lower gain and found usable sounds. I still have it but have not played it in some time.

I have looked at the TBEQ and the stand alone 5 band EQ, but they occupy too much board space and since, I don't play alot of high gain, they are not an option.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.