Throbak SLE 101s

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by sothoth, Sep 21, 2020.

1. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

Anyone tried these and have feedback? I was thinking about buying a guitar with a set of them installed. Was looking at the prices on a new set of them and was pretty floored. People seem to like them on the website reviews but was hoping for another opinion. Mostly just curious at this point because they’re already on the guitar and I’d never pay $550+ for a pair of pickups that don’t sound much different to me than most well crafted PAFs. I watched a few YouTube comparisons and granted it’s often hard to judge on YouTube but frankly I heard nothing that justified a price point of $200 more per pair than I’ve ever paid for a HB set.

2. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Theyre great pickups. They are a clean, clear, and harmonically rich pickup. No mud, or ice pick with this pickup.

While better sounding is in th ear of the beholder, the Throbalk SLE 101 IS a PAF pickup. They gone every inch one can go to make all but an exact recreation of a 59 PAF with an A2 magnet. A2 mags are the default magnet for that pickup, and while its possible it has an A4, or an A5, Id bet its the standard A2, of which again, A2 is my favorite pickup.

ALso dont confuse all A2-44-5 as the same. Throbak gets the magnets from the original manufacturer that made the magnets in the first place, and are not the same formula as foreign made magnets. Its considerable more expensive to pour the magnet formula Throbak uses vs overseas magnets, or any magnet reproduction that didnt analyze/destroy the original magnets to see what the original composition of the magnets was, to reproduce it. Pouring these magnet formulas are much more expensive.

When Tom Holmes first started trying to reproduce 59 PAFs in 1971, ( He was working for George Gruhn, and was his repairman for 20 years ) he had a magnet analyzed by the original manufacturer only 12 years after the magnet was made, and the magnet came back as unknown hybrid, and was finally locked down to be an A4 magnet, and was from 1959. So even back then the magnet formulas changed over time, and were not even recognized by the original manufacturer. The use wire that is of a certain resistance per foot. The metal they use for the base plates, screws ect, are the exact same as the originals

Now whether they sound better to you is another matter. All these pickups want to be as an exacting replica of a good sounding set of 59 PAFs.
    A4 was the most common magent back then, and was the first magnet Tom Holmes used in his PAF replicas. H453s I think they were both close to 7.4k-7.6k output.

But in the early 90s Billy Gibbons, Gary Moore, who was one of Tom best buddies, Peter Frampton, Albert King talked Tom into making his pickups with A2 magnets. It was mainly Moore, Frampton and Gibbons, and they also were the ones that helped Tom Voice, and suggest the output of the pickups.
    Gary Tom, and Frampton used Toms pickups in most of their aftermarket/repro guitars that used HBers The Custom Shop sig series Moore played came from the factory with Toms pickups. The ones for public sale did not.
    Like I said. All A2-4-5- aint the same

Id be really happy those pickups are in the guitar. I do like an .015 cap in the Neck, and .022 in the Bridge, and reverse the neck magnet.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  3. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

Yeah I won’t complain they’re in the guitar. I guess my question of “why $550 a pair??” is answered pretty clearly.

Making a faithful “period correct” HB costs money and a special alloy must cost money as well.

I’m not really one of those “they were better back in the old days” kind of guys. I mostly feel like that’s a case of either selective memory or nostalgia superseding logic and reality. However if it sounds good it sounds good.

I remember this guy at a men’s clothing story trying to talk me into buying this really expensive suit one time. All the back story about the family who owned the small shop that employed local Italian workers whose families had been trained to do this work for generations. And they wanted to control the materials so they bought the farms that raised the sheep for the wool and yadda yadda yadda.

I remember thinking there was probably a guy willing to pay $7500 more for that suit than I was because of the back story but the salesman was wasting his time on me.

You can’t really judge pickups on YouTube so let’s see how they sound in person :)

thanks for the reply

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.