1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Three-way wiring on Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by JohanM, Jul 31, 2020.

1. JohanM

JohanM TDPRI Member

I want to wire my guitar like this:

Tele-Wiring-M2.jpg

Do I need a bleed circuit on the volume pot and if so, where? Just for those soft notes that becomes muddy...

Should I change the .047 cap to a 3300dF or what should I do?

Is this a good wiring and if better, can you guys help me? The switch position here is 1 - bridge pickup with tone controle; 2 - neck and bridge in Parallel with tone controle; 3 - neck pickup with tone control.

Boreas likes this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That's a good plan.

The treble bypass goes across the two ungrounded tabs on the volume pot.

There's no "best" bypass scheme. There are several ways to do it, and the one that sounds best depends on your guitar, your technique, your amp, and your ears. Here are a few of the most common methods:

[​IMG]

3. berzirk

berzirk TDPRI Member

Johan
    I'm definitely not the expert here, but relative to pot / cap values it may help to let the thread know what pickups you're planning on using, and what tone you're looking for. Also, that "Modern" diagram dates back to 1967, so there's a lot of other stuff out there. If you're concerned about the muddy tones, perhaps a grease bucket tone circuit which allows you to roll of the tone without the muddiness ?

4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

That is pretty much THE standard method of wiring a 3-way telecaster today.

IF you install a treble bleed circuit, it would be installed between lugs 1 and 2 of the volume pot. For reference, 2 is the middle and 3 is the ground. Do a search for Kinman Treble Bleed - my favorite. (NOTE: my numbering is backwards from the image above!)

As for the .047uf cap - that really is a preference thing, that is also interdependent on the pickups being used. .047 seems to work well for me and my instruments, but .033 or even .022 could be used and you may prefer one of the others - trial and error. Fender vintage guitars used a .05uf ceramic disc caps, obviously very close to a .047, especially when tolerances can be 20%

Boreas and gtrwrks like this.
  5. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

jfgesquier is dead on. I like to use a fairly low value capacitor within the Tone circuit in order to give me LOTS of tonal shading variations. Typically 250k pot w/0.015 or 0.022uF caps - pickups/guitar dependent. It can take some experimentation - good thing about a Tele's wiring is, you can pull/replace the plate all day and not have to remove the strings like on a Strat.

Boreas likes this.
  6. JohanM

JohanM TDPRI Member

I just want to mention I'm using Texas Specials for pickups

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When the tone control is on 10, the cap don't mean jack.

I call the cap a tool the tone pot uses in it's job. The higher the value, the faster/darker things will get as you turn the pot from about 6-0.

It's a player preference thing, do you want a subtle tone change ? I don't use the tone much so like .022 in most everything. Nice thru the sweep.

If you want it more aggressive....then .047 or even as high as .1 µF.

It's YOUR geetar, and YOUR ears, get it how YOU want it to function.

One more thing, consider a 4 way switch for series..................kinda like having a neck humbucker option to kick in.

Happy pickin'

Geo likes this.
  8. JohanM

JohanM TDPRI Member

Many guys said I must do the 4 way switch circuit and I actually decided I will.

sjtalon likes this.
  9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another useful tone consideration is to switch to 500k pots from the 250k pots. You start out with a brighter sound, which gives you a wider range of tones. I feel on most single coil guitars it is better to start out with more high end, then dial it back if needed. It isn't something you can add after the fact - but it can be easily subtracted. I also tend to use 1 meg pots on humbuckers for the same reason.

10. JohanM

JohanM TDPRI Member

Looking at my circuit right at the top - if I put a .022µF cap in the place of a .047µF cap - will a bleeding circuit still be necessary? Some guys says change the .047µF cap and some guys gives me info on the bleed circuit. What should I do - a)only change the .047µF cap with no bleed circuit; b) change the .047µF cap and install a bleed circuit; c) Keep the .047µF cap and install a bleed circuit? Thanks guys.

Boreas likes this.
  11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The treble bleed is to retain the highs when turning down the volume pot. It has nothing to do with the tone control or tone control cap.

12. JohanM

JohanM TDPRI Member

So I can go forth and install the .022µF cap between the tone pot and volume pot and develop a Kinman bleed circuit for my volume pot?

13. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Yeah, I put a 500k tone pot on my telecaster 12 string and it opened it up completely. I tend to play with it on about 6, so without it I couldn't get the sound I love! And there's nothing to lose, 0-5 will play as if it's got the 250k pot.

Boreas likes this.
  14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

You didn’t say whether or not you use the tone circuit. If not, why not bypass it?

15. JohanM

JohanM TDPRI Member

I'd like the tone circuit...

16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, and the treble bleed should go between the two lugs on the volume pot that the tone cap isn't connected to, the one from the switch and the one to the output jack
    3_position_telecaster_wiring_treble_bleed_diagram.png

Boreas likes this.
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

a pic of one on an 83 tele of mine... it was on there when I got it... the solder looks old so it's been there for a while..

tort tele treble bleed V pot1.jpg

Boreas likes this.
  18. JohanM

JohanM TDPRI Member

Thanks for the circuit Doug! Trev333 - any values on there?

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

.001uf... ;)

Boreas likes this.
  20. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Only make one change at a time. Live with it a while to assess each change. There are an infinite number of ways to wire any guitar. Spend more time playing and less time fiddling.

My advice for a starting point is good quality 500k pots, a .022 or LESS tone cap, and a good quality switch. Then your tone control becomes very useful on the fly. If you don't fiddle with your volume pot much when playing, you don't need a treble bleed. If you do, I would recommend buying a Bourne or CTS 500k pot with a V-treb already installed - about $12.

Unless you need very dark or muddy tones, I would avoid a .047 tone cap. To my ears, they effectively eliminate half of the usable range of a tone pot. Teles are usually revered for the brightness and cut they bring to a mix. They aren't used much for mud...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.