Three way switch Fender Broadcaster 2020 not working right.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sugarcool6, Apr 2, 2020.

1. sugarcool6

sugarcool6 TDPRI Member

I am just learning to play on my new Fender Broadcaster 2020 and I set my switch into the third
    bridge position and it sounds muted. This was not as before when that position played just as well
    as the other two.

It creates a bit of sound when the volumeknob is turned up but still its very much muted.
    And it feels as if the switch does fine in postition one and two but then the third position is as if the switch does not feel as firm like in the two other
    positions and there is no more sound, almost no sound.

I also tried another cable but again its the same so it can't be a broken cable because it behaves like that on both cables and also on position one and two should be the same
    problem if it was a faulty cable.

What is going on? and should I complain to the company where I bought it or is this easy to fix?
    I've didn't open anything, first I want to know more.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Are you saying it was OK when first received but it's changed since you got it? If so - warranty.

The Broadcaster has different controls to the regular Tele. The second knob isn't a tone control - it gradually as you wind it ccw dials in the bridge.

Fender probably included instructions in the case candy to mod the wiring to modern.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Those are wired way different.

4. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

I thought Fender was shipping these with standard wiring and included a resistor and instructions to rewire for the blend circuit. The OP also said that the sound changed from what it was before. I agree with Dacious...Warranty.

EsquireBoy, gwjensen and Fretting out like this.
  5. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

Sounds more like contact with the switch is off. If you know a good tech/luthier, I would take it to them so they can look at the switch. It might even be as simple to fix as using pliers to slightly bend the part for better contact. This has happened to me recently.

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Assume bought new without any changes in which case yes it is wired to traditional modern three way so the neck up would be normal with use of tone control. Definitely return under warranty.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Did you buy from a local shop or online?

If local and a licensed fender dealer they may be authorized to put a new switch in

If you bought it online I’d contact fender and they should send you a new switch under warranty and want you to take it to a fender licensed repair tech

I’m not sure they would want you to return it to fender for work, you probably will have to take it to a fender dealer anyway to use the warranty so they know exactly what is wrong

The last option and it’s a shame because of the cost of the guitar things like this shouldn’t happen so fast is to just buy a new switch and have it installed

8. sugarcool6

sugarcool6 TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for helping i have to explain that its not one of the silver knobs for volume and tune.
    Its the switch with the black cap that you use from neck position to middle to bridge.
    This broadcaster is brand new and i bought it online.

Clifton C likes this.
  9. sugarcool6

sugarcool6 TDPRI Member

And its not the blend wirering option that i am talking about.

when this occurred i remember now that going with the switch to the third position
    it seemed as if something jumped loose and
    now it sounds as if there is only a partial contact like wires that make contact but not enough.

And yes everything worked allright when I bought it, so this just occurred yesterday,
    the third position of the switch, the bridge pickup functioned allright untill yesterday.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  10. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    All the regular production RI Broadcasters come shipped from Fender with modern wiring, not the blend control. So unless someone at the shop where the guitar was purchased changed the wiring, it's not that. Since the OP said he didn't think the problem was there when he first got the guitar, my guess is that a connection must have come loose, or it's a bad switch.

11. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So does the neck work in the other two positions? Could be your bridge ground or hot connection

you could take the control plate off and see if there are any wires not connected

If you post a couple of pics, we can try to see if we can find the culprit
    I for one would like to see pics of the guitar.

Erebia likes this.
  12. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

For the sake of unscrewing two wood screws, I'd take the control panel off and have a look. Could be something as simple as a wire popped out from the soldered joint. Sending something back under warranty in the current climate means you could be without it for months.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah. Communicate with your vendor some way, and let them know the problem and let them know you're removing the two attachment slot head screws in order to take a look and hopefully, some images of something that's come loose.

14. sugarcool6

sugarcool6 TDPRI Member

I have sent the vendor a message a few hours ago, so i wait for his reaction.
    And yes the first neck positions one and two work as normal.
    Again when the switch is in third position there is sound but its almost gone.
    When i turn up the volume playing is a bit audible but you hear something is not right. So yes i also think a wire is loose and does not make enough contact to really amplify the sound. Yet i am not going in before i get a reaction from the vendor. Its either tomorrow or after this weekend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.