Three Speakers, Three Samples. What's Your Fave?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gabasa, Sep 28, 2020.

1. gabasa

gabasa TDPRI Member

Hey all, I just finished building a 5E1 tweed Champ circuit. My driving goal with this amp was to have a tweed Champ with a big, bad alnico speaker (and a choke). It's housed in a narrow-panel cabinet that's slightly larger than a Deluxe cabinet to accommodate larger-magnet 12" alnico speakers. Cheesy guitar playing....I apologize in advance, lol. Just wondering which speaker you think is the best fit, or the worst, and why.

Some ambience has been added for fun and good times, hope you don't mind.

All the guitar recordings were done with my Tele in the middle pickup position, and it's loaded with Vineham '58 Tele pickups.

Thanks.

Champ - Tone Tubby Alnico Red

Champ - Jupiter 12LA

Champ - WGS G12A

24 track and Nahtabot like this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I liked the tone of 2 and 3 the best , 2 because of the intro blend of strum and noodling sounded great together , giving the sound a greater dynamic,
    3 because there seemed to be more implied body to the sound , 1 sounded a little generically top ended in tonal richness

JMHO

gabasa likes this.
  3. gabasa

gabasa TDPRI Member

Thanks....you just highlighted how unscientific I was when I did these, lol. I should have mentioned it in the original post! Cheers.

24 track likes this.
  4. DD2016

DD2016 TDPRI Member

Glad to see the speaker showdown with a new contender!

Took a bit of time enjoying a listening session and eventually drifted off into each sample; this was worth warming up the DAC and pulling out the good headphones. Very nice playing!

While the differences may be significantly influenced by mic positioning, after a couple repeats of each the most obvious quality I keep circling back to is the TTR with a delicate high frequency emphasis. This gives a beautiful almost metallic brightness up top that seems true of the harmonics in the unwound strings as you would hear when plucking (particularly softly) those strings unamplified in a quiet room. Though, this never made for an uncomfortable distraction and seemed the most sweet of the three.

The JLA upper frequency emphasis comes through to give an articulate note definition, but with the upper harmonic content noticably more restrained. To put a bow on it, high frequency emphasis with the JLA is more rounded and in line with the fundamental. There is a pretty big difference in fullness from the upper bass into the midrange that is likely due to mic positioning, despite my attempt to adjust for the difference in gain between the samples. If this fullness is in line with the live sound, then that would be quite substantial! The JLA low-mid fullness is quite rich (17-22 sec.) vs (TTR 23-28 sec.) and tighter than the TTR.

The WGA is quite different as well, having a much softer top end emphasis. The note attack is noticably smoothed over, with the upper harmonics and general tone wooly, but only by comparison. Initially this seems less focused vs the other two but my ears seemed to adjust after only a few repeats. The tone seems almost for lack of a better word, dry if not airy and as a result the most vintage voiced. I felt most relaxed after listening to the smokey tone of the WGA, while the greater definition of the JLA and especially the high frequency brightness and articulation of the TTR are to my ear, more intense and commanding.

Such a hard decision to pick a favorite.

Thanks for the samples!

gabasa likes this.
  5. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

They all 3 sound great. I think I slightly prefer the Tone Tubby. It has a softness/smoothness to it that I like.

uriah1 and gabasa like this.
  6. gabasa

gabasa TDPRI Member

That's exactly how I described it to a friend. I find all three speakers beautiful, but when asked about the WGS, I said it was the one that made me feel like I was playing an old, vintage amp the most. This doesn't make it any better or worse than the other two, but if you're going for authentically vintage sounds, it would be a great choice.

I've spent years with the TTR and the JLA on and off, because I love those speakers, but I might keep the WGS in my amps for a while, just because they're so different from what I'm used to. Fwiw, I've got one in my Champ and another in a Deluxe.

I'm glad that the WGS G12A is getting some conversation here though, it doesn't seem to get as much talk in the forums as the other two, but it certainly deserves consideration.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.