1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Three saddle bridges for bullet Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by stepvan, Jan 28, 2021.

1. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ok so I swapped pickups already but have not found a 3 saddle bridges that will be a direct fit any help would be great

68Telebass likes this.
  2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

There aren't any. If you want to put a vintage-style bridge on a Bullet, you gotta prep for surgery.

smoothrecluse, 68Telebass and stepvan like this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

You can drill out the rear flange of the stock plate to accept the three saddle screws.

I did this mod to a Hohner TE Professional Tele clone in 2006 and it has worked fine since then. Drill each new hole dead center between the string-through holes in the base of the plate.

[​IMG]

Like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  4. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

stepvan likes this.
  5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've done that to both a '95 MIM plate (brass toploader), as well as at least one of the old stamped Fender bridges that had the 6 barrel saddles.

The hardest part is getting those holes dead center, IME. I put masking tape over the back edge, used a pen with a really fine point, measured like 3 or 4 times, and then center punched where the holes would be drilled.

I don't remember now, but I probably also drilled smaller pilot holes first. Since this isn't something I could do with my drill press, I probably also clamped the plate upside down on my workbench, so I could do my best to make sure I was hand drilling the holes 90 degrees to the flange.

Also, with the thicker plates, the drilled holes will typically need to be drilled just a little bit oversized, so that the intonation screws can pivot, to allow for the proper range of saddle height adjustability. Probably the better thing to do would be to sort of countersink the holes from the side of the flange facing where the pickup mounts. You'd have to angle the bit, but that's really what you want anyway.

IME, it was sort of tricky to do, but if you take your time and check things as you go along, it can turn out pretty well.

6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

You might be able to use a drill press if you clamp the plate to a wood block that fits inside the top of the plate, which itself is clamped to the base of the press. You could then drill through the back of the plate and into the wood block to drill the holes. Possible if you have the right clamps to do it, and could make it stable.
    Al

7. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe so! (But NOT because of the number of screw holes per se!)

I think that the similar Joe Barden vintage-“like” bridgeplates that are designed to fit American Standard telecasters, have string-through holes located very close to the string through holes of some Squier Teles I have that were made after around 1999 or2000.

stepvan (or anyone else with a Bullet Tele), would you measure the distance on your Bullet Tele, from the nut string breakpoint on that guitar, to the string through hole, and post that?

And would someone with an American Standard Tele measure that distance on that model too?

8. Kennya123

Kennya123 TDPRI Member

The closest I’ve found is the hipshot custom bridge but it’s expensive and it’s not a direct drop in fit, you’ll need new screw holes 486433EC-3562-490F-8976-32844E65A13D.jpeg

9. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Technically this leaves you with the option of top loading too, right?;)

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Technically and practically!

gregulator450 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.