1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Three saddle bridge for jazz?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Suttykins, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Suttykins

Suttykins Tele-Meister

I know the three saddle versus six debate has been done to death and there's probably some unwritten "no stairway!" type rule that I'm breaking by bringing it up, but this is a bit more specific.

Jazz is becoming my main squeeze on guitar and I'm beginning to wonder if the vintage style bridge is really appropriate for complex chord voicings, especially with the fatter strings. Ted Greene, as we all know, had a 6 saddle on his Telecaster to negate any intonation issues.

The only problem is, I'm a real Tele purist. I like a 7.25 radius and skinny vintage frets and subsequently, the look, sound and feel of a vintage bridge.

So, jazz guys, do you think it's imperative to have a 6 saddle bridge for big, ugly chords?

2. JazzTwanger

JazzTwanger Tele-Meister

Plenty of compensated saddle options out there from Callaham. Wilkinson, Allparts, etc. Lets you keep the 3-saddle look while staying properly intonated. Just google "compensated tele saddles" and you'll see plenty of choices. I'm a jazz picker as well and have had good luck with the Callaham saddles.

3. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I do a few jazz standards and had a 6 saddle brass bridge on my tele since 68, stored the original for approx 40 years and tried a 6 saddle GOTOH chromed brass for a year recently but wasn't thrilled with the sound of it.

It's true, the intonation is a bit better with 6 but I recently put back the original 1968 3 saddle bridge and it's pretty good when set-up well.

I was going to get 3 compensated saddles but am now close enough for inside voicings and jazz chords plus most of the time I'm into Blues anyways.

Probably depends upon your specific guitar and style. I got much closer with the original 3 saddle bridge and saddles than I thought possible.

4. Suttykins

Suttykins Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm aware of compensated saddles but for some reason I've always stayed away. I figure if I'm going to try and tackle the intonation, I may as well go the whole nine yards and put on a modern bridge.

That said, I'm not noticing a real problem with the threaded steel saddles I currently have. It's been set-up by the best of the best and seems to be just right. I just wanted to get some scope from other jazz players.

Nice blog by the way, I'll be adding it to my favourites bar.

5. B.G.

B.G. Tele-Meister

Most old fashioned archtops jazz guys use have bridges that are even less sophisticated or adjustable than a three saddle tele bridge.
    So I don't really see an issue there myself

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

I'm not a Jazz player but have played enough studio session to need to have good intonation. I also prefer the regular Fender bridge/saddles because
    I prefer that tone.... with a great set-up it can be done

7. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

Only you and your hairdresser know for sure. If you are chasing intonation playing the stuff you play, and if the guys you play with are picky about intonation, you should go to 6 saddles. If you just grip it and rip it, and no one complains, don't worry about it. Personally, I'm anal about intonation and prefer 6 saddles, but I do have a couple of Teles with three (one plain, the other compensated brass) and I can live with them playing rock, country and blues.

Brian

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.