Three of a Perfect Pair band camp, should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike_LA, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Greetings gang,
    Let me preface this by saying that I have been playing most of my life (over 50), so I should be better than I am, though until 6 or 7 years ago it was always my 3rd or 4th hobby. I play almost everyday but only to loops and backing tracks. A couple of times a year I have opportunites to jam live and enjoy it.

I saw an ad for Adrian Belew's "Three of a Perfect Pair" band camp, of course I really thought it would be fun to go but immediately decided I didn't really have the money to spend. My wife on the other hand says "Hey, life is short, you should go." So now, I started thinking about it, and yeah, I really would like to go. However; with the cost of the ticket, airfare, transportation, and bar tab we're talkin close to $3,000 for the four day event.
    My garage needs a new roof (3 princeton reverb sized holes in it), among other bills to consider. For the money, I could fix many things around the house OR buy a complete Kemper system or a rockin guitar. Both would last longer and have resale value.

Now yes, I could get more equipment BUT my G.A.S. is gone (see picture). I have everything that I need. I DON'T need a Kemper or more guitars. I have 2 Eleven Racks and though they are not Kempers, for my level of play they are top-notch modelers.

So, hanging out for a few days with one of my idols and a bunch of other guitarist might be a valuable learning experience.
    I think I'd find out if I really am a guitar player or not.
    I might find out how bad I really am .....
    So, I think going would either inspire me or crush me. More valuable that a Kemper? Maybe.

Talk me into or out of it. ....

20181124_191127.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Don’t really know your finance picture & don’t really want to :), but two things: your wife is right about life being short, particularly if you are at the point where the road ahead is shorter than the road behind; and if you go, don’t go anxious to discover what skills you haven’t acquired yet, go positive to discover how much you can learn and how good you might actually become. My 2 cents .

Mike_LA likes this.
  3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Well as much as I'd like to go to something like that the roof would be a much bigger priority. Leaky roofs lead to lots of other issues.

And speaking of resale, much better ROI on the roof

Straydogger and Mike_LA like this.
  4. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Use the back of that Ovation to patch the roof and go jam!

Mike_LA likes this.
  5. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

While the price of admission seems steep, you've got spousal approval and playing with Adrian would be a once in a lifetime opportunity that may not present itself again.

Mike_LA likes this.
  6. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

You have wifely approval?

Job done.

uriah1 and Mike_LA like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I think going on trip for a few days of fun, tops letting your garage just cave in a fall into a pile of rubble. I'm just deducing from what you say, that the bar tab is gonna be around $2800 and the actual trip is going to cost a couple of hundred bucks, Have fun!

Mike_LA likes this.
  8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

A leaky roof is not a good thing, and as mentioned, could lead to other problems and more damage. Sacrifice is a strong word, but in this case I would suck it up and fix the roof. You could still get an opportunity for band camp down the road.

Straydogger, Mike_LA and GibbyTwin like this.
  9. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Hmmm, I probably wouldn't do it. Just my nature. I'm the type that weighs every point pro and con and if there is a choice to be made between necessary and nonessential with a limited amount of disposable $$, then necessary will win every time. I'd be putting the $$ towards the house repairs and bills. But that's me. I have a friend who is just the opposite.

Straydogger and Mike_LA like this.
  10. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I would say "Just do it". Like the old Nike slogan. If you don't, you will probably regret it. If you do it and flop, well, that's life, and you learn as you go. Win or lose, you will progress toward who you are and are meant to be. Go for it. Go for everything you can. Experience life... successes AND failures.
    Do not act out of fear, act because you MUST. And your wife agrees with me.

jhundt, fnkmstr and Mike_LA like this.
  11. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You’d be a better player if you spent more time playing through the Princeton Reverb and stopped dropping it through the garage roof.

stratoman1 and Mike_LA like this.
  12. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

That 's pretty funny . . . thnx

13. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

If you’re concerned about ROI (return on investment) take the 3K and use it for a weekly or bi-weekly lesson. You’ll learn more than 4 days at guitar camp. If you’re more interested in a memorable experience than start packing. And the roof just needs a couple of blue tarps. $20 tops.

teletail and Mike_LA like this.
  14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

do it. No, I meant DO IT!!

Many of us are aging - it's obvious here on the Bad Dog. We all have (or have had) a passion for guitars, and for playing music. At a certain point that passion may ebb; but it is so real and present when you feel it.

The garage might leak, the house might wash away. So...?

Your wife knows you better than you know yourself; she knows what you like and what will do you good. Just this once, don't be a dumb man. Just this once, listen to your wife. Stop thinking that all the day-to-day problems can ever be solved by you NOT enjoying yourself. Start thinking about how much a week like this will change you and improve your life.

GO, man! DO IT! call your wife every day, and tell her how much fun it is, and how much you are learning; and how much you miss her, and how much you appreciate her for understanding.

And when you get home, let her know by deeds - not just words - that this was a great event and you appreciate that she steered you into it.

You are a lucky man, as I see it.

Mike_LA and denny like this.
  15. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

[QUOTE="Mike_LA, post: 9563463, member: 46821" Talk me into or out of it. ....[/QUOTE]

My take....(unless one is rolling in green)

No!....I can appreciate your (or our) desire to attend the 4 day function but 3K is a chunk of change to have to pay pack to the CC company.
    I would feel it a bit too selfish and bordering on frivolous in this context.
    Waiting for that bill each month would weigh on me and affect our month/month comfort level.
    I've grown quite accustomed to eating well followed by a cocktail night. :)

Unless, you can triple the monthly minimum?
    If the wife does persist with her encouragement then it's a judgment call for you.

The fiscal comfort/well being of my wife and I is far more important to me than an event of this nature and we could not afford to triple the monthly minimum.

But....I'm 72 now and that's just me....do carry on.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Mike_LA and GibbyTwin like this.
  16. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

oh Lord save us if we should ever spend a penny on a frivolous pursuit!

Mike_LA likes this.
  17. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I wouldn't go to the music camp expecting anything beyond some photo ops and maybe meeting some cool people. I have a similar desire to possibly attend the Fur Peace Ranch Camp before Jack Casady or Jorma Kaukonen head to their great reward. I'm more qualified on bass than guitar for that.

Mike_LA likes this.
  18. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

It is DONE

I have purchased tickets and am settling down for some serious wood shedding till August . . .

Thank you for your interest and support

More as events warrant . . .

stratoman1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.