Three f-Hole Options

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Deed_Poll, Aug 21, 2019.

Which f-Hole?

1. Huge f-Hole

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Traditional f-Hole

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Floating Ring Sound Hole

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

That floating hole is awesome and something I’ve never seen on a guitar

Makes it unique

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Deed, please understand that I'm not at all opposed to f-hole(s), I just think they should suit the guitar. I come from a very strong vintage background and I'm so used to seeing certain types of f-holes on certain types of instruments that the wrong shapes just stand out. For example, here is a Trini Lopez and a vintage 335 side by side - in my opinion the holes and the head on the Trini just look wrong, where the 335 is so classically correct. I also know that the holes are required on a semi hollow Gibbie - thats how the pots get put in.

IMG_3440.JPG

I expect an F5 or a L5 to have a certain shape f-hole (with the points pointing to the bridge location so that when it falls off I can put it back on the right place) - I have built both kinds of guitars and I've copied the traditional holes. I also love the directions that the great archtop builders - the Jimmy D's - have gone with their f-hole, somehow each one fits the guitar. But I also know that on an acoustic instrument there has to be one or more holes in it somewhere to let the sound get out and I know that sizing those holes is an important part of tuning the instrument,

Here are a couple of guitars that I have built with f-holes, a 335 with the hole binding matching the rest of the guitar

IMG_3417.JPG

An acoustic patterned after an ES-175 but without the electronics

IMG_2111-1.jpg

And my personal little jazz box - f-holes and everything else are bound in maple

IMG_3603.JPG

You have a real advantage using modelling software to see what each option will look like, I'm afraid I would be cutting wood and then regretting it. Choose something fitting, I'll enjoy seeing what it is. And, don't forget that adding an f-hole will make it more prone to feedback.

crazydave911 and telemnemonics like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

One more very minor thing. The f-hole is frequently an area of stress risers and with some solid tops you'll see cracks around them - particularly tight areas in the ends. I put a layer of surgical gauze over the f-hole before I route it and soak it in thin CA - I think that makes it much less prone to cracking.

IMG_1574.JPG

4. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Very nice work! Yes, the Trini Lopez is the one I was trying to remember the name of - I kept thinking Barney Kessel, but that's the double Florentine cut :)

That's my concern - that it has to suit the guitar. Maybe I've designed a guitar that won't really suit any f-hole and I'll have to go back to the drawing board for my hollow / semi-hollow design when the time comes. Or go back to the one I pictured now I have a proper neck joint design that will work properly.

Dang, this render was hosted on Photobucket... We all know what happened to that!

[​IMG]

I could probably make that one work as a separate model, and keep this guitar as a solid body. That might be a better strategy.

Cheers for your feedback!

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I dig the ring. It's unusual and futuristic.

6. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The big f hole reminds me of underground clubs during prohibition that you are in movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I agree...with this particular unique body, that large, sweeping f-hole looks amazing. The traditional sized one just doesn't look like it belongs.

8. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

Chiming in with an earlier reply, I think you need to include a ‘no f-hole” option among the ways you can go (or rather forego).

You still have a chambered guitar which to me makes it cool enough. Frankly, I like the looks of the guitar much more without the f-hole.

Not trying to stifle artistic creativity, but f-holes somehow seem out of place on certain guitars no matter what variant of f-hole is used. Thinline Teles seem to have difficulty with the pickguard - best to get rid of it to make it look halfway decent imo.

If you want to create an amazing chamber reveal, you could design a milled perspex window into a honeycombed body - while working for B&W in the UK, we incorporated micromatrix in a sandwiched rear shelf speaker enclosure for Jaguar Design in their C-XF concept car. Nice jewel-like result.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com.tw/Car_Audio/C-XF/Sound.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deed_Poll likes this.
  9. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

10. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I vote for a non f shape. Something that echos the body shape of the upper bout maybe. The floating ring is a cool concept but doesn't fit the design IMO. It just comes across as something shoehorned in because it's technically impressive without regard to overall design. The giant f hole is really nice, but not right for this guitar and the regular f hole is just too unremarkable for an otherwise very distinctive original design.

By the way, that one you actually used the huge f hole on is spectacular! Does that have a pickup between the bridge and the tailpiece?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Deed_Poll likes this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

If the F-Hole is to be functional, it can't be too big or too small. It can ruin what acoustical properties you do have. So the usual size would be best and you can use a different style for more appeal.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My visual dogma says the bigger F hole looks Willy Wonka while the guitar looks George Jetson.

I'm aware of my visual limitations and see them as handicap, but I'm also pretty good with image harmony or whatever it might be called.

I guess for a futuristic guitar shape I'd be more easily swayed to embrace weird if it was less derivative, and less old fashioned decorative.

Lightning bolt imagery might also be too derivative and cliche, but some more sharp or jagged detail might push it in another direction.
    The post mounted disc is cool, but I think needs more design beyond the disc.

Certainly cool to see some ideas put into action!

Nickfl and Deed_Poll like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The small f hole might just be in the wrong place, needs to move toward the neck.

14. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i think the round sound hole give more rest in the total picture, and it suits the shape.
    there is so much happening on the top of this model that the 2 others is a bit overkill in my opinion

15. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

haven't read the entire thread, but my vote is keep the big 2nd one but start the top of it lower. like between the pickups. about that high. otherwise i really dig the originality of it. i think bringing the f (graphic element) down though will reduce the busy-ness of the upper area

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Deed_Poll likes this.
  16. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

HUGE gets my vote!

17. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

LOVE this! Totally correct. I need to de-Wonkafy the large one of I'm going to use it.

Although I was aiming more for Mustang Mach 1 with the lines than Jetsons ;)

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

19. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I see...Nonetheless, lots of good ideas and unseen, original design ! :cool::cool::cool:

-tbln

Deed_Poll likes this.
  20. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

I think you should take the big one, reduce the size by10%ish and tweak the design a bit so the widest part is moved back.

Although I think the floating round one is a great idea and I totally want a guitar with one, it’s not the right design for this guitar. I think you should do something more telecaster like and use that circle idea.

Deed_Poll likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.