Threaded saddles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chip, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Does anyone know a source for accurate threaded saddles. I have a set of Fender reissue saddles but the thread count isn’t close to what they used to be.

Here’s the reissue saddles....
    40A26559-85A1-4686-A517-C3F800815F6D.jpeg

And a few vintage examples....
    F08B76DD-BBAA-4407-9D62-B30E91E76A62.jpeg
    DCCDBAE9-1378-4C63-BC54-1D0408B9BDB9.jpeg
    A980B9A6-67F5-4ABD-92E8-637A2ED07A0C.jpeg

Notice how many more threads there are on the vintage saddles compared to the reissue?
    It seems like it would be a lot easier to fine tune the string spacing on the old vintage saddles.

so, does anyone know where I could find more accurate saddles?

Fretting out likes this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Glendale Groovy 60s look interesting.

https://glendaleguitars.com/saddles/

Cold rolled steel, tilt-compensated, and get this: the threads are fine on the B/E, and very coarse on the E/A. About 'normal' for the D/G. Kinda makes sense, as there's no way your fat bass strings are gonna sit down in those vintage threads properly. Wonder if that's what prompted Fender to 'split the difference'?

BorderRadio and EsquireBoy like this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The Reissue saddles work fine esp for anchoring bigger strings. Those SOBs aren't going anywhere even for demon benders.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Rutters has some that look similar to Fender's reissue, I think, but they're nickel-plated brass, for a warmer tone. For those who want that...

Fretting out likes this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I like 'em . Had some in a Japanese lawsuit in the 80s. You can get the sting perfectly straight in alignment to the nut.

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

With so many tightly spaced threads say bye bye to your wound strings.

boris bubbanov and Fretting out like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I was thinking the same thing I don’t know where to get vintage style saddles and understand wanting vintage accuracy but there is a reason fender made the new ones that way for our modern playing needs
    Looks like slipping strings waiting to happen if you happen to be heavy handed

8. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I always think of those threaded/grooved saddles as the string breakers. You must like flatwounds. Those saddles are why I stopped bothering to play Jazzmasters(this was years before somebody started making aftermarket single groove saddles for Jazzmaster bridges). Congrats that you actually like them. They just always busted strings when I played them, and I have a fairly light touch with my right hand.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't think the wound strings on a set of half rounds or flats, would stay put on the saddles with a really fine thread pattern. But, my experience was with strings in the range of 12s or maybe 11s. I didn't play Teles then, and a major reason, I think in retrospect was how badly they seemed to be set up. Even with the larger number of places to position a string, they still never ended up in the correct position. I am just one more guitar guy who finally gave in to the idea of Teles, because of Vintique and Bill Callaham and a solid way to position the strings and get some intonation.

10. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the responses guys. I’m not sure if I agree with the string slippage issue. I have a Tele copy that has the old style threaded saddles and I never had an issue. Maybe I’m not that aggressive a picker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.