Threaded saddles for a bender ok?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by 8painting, Mar 1, 2010.

1. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

I've got the regular steel saddles on my b string at the moment.

While everything is coming in and out of tune just fine when bending, sometimes when i pluck with my finger or thumb, it'll move the string side to side a little bit.

I figured putting a threaded saddle on will fix the side to side movment, is this ok, or would there be any binding issues?

Thanks!

2. coolbreeze475

coolbreeze475 Tele-Meister

I had to put notches in my saddles when I installed the Hipshot because the strings were sliding side to side when I plucked. It was an annoyance. It helped out alot.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  3. ironweed

ironweed Tele-Meister

I used threaded saddles for my b-bender for a while, and they worked fine. No string breakage issues, and no side-to-side string wallow. But I got lonesome for the darker sound of brass saddles, so I changed back.

The b-string needs a little help to get "seated" in the brass saddle. When I changed back to brass, I lined up the b-string right where I wanted it and gently "whacked" the string to push it into the softer brass to start a tiny groove. The b-bender groove will continue to wear, but it will take a long time (years?) to wear into the brass to the point where a new saddle is needed.

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I've had some vintage threaded ones on my Nashville West for several years now. use either threaded or some type of compensated brass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.