Thread Etiquette / Thread Grammar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Aug 21, 2019.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I always feel that the thread title should first-letter capitalized. Why? Dunno. I think of it like a book title, or a magazine article title. I was looking today, and it seems I am probably one of few that does this.

I am not professing that my way is right - I have no idea what the "right" way would be. It's just the way I do it.

Does anyone know if there are written standards / rules / grammar rules that apply to thread titles for on-line thread titles?

I am just curious. I may not change my approach regardless.

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

All of the major grammar styles now address online style issues, but again, which one do you choose to follow? Depends on your needs/discipline.

A quick couple of universal things. No more double space after a period, period. Also, no space before or after '/'. So "standards / rules / grammar" is "standards/rules/grammar"

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Ooh, I don't like that. I think I'll just ignore that advice. :D

This probably comes more from programming; when doing "maths" in code, without spacing, it can become difficult to read.

"Thread Etiquette / Thread Grammar" reads to me "Thread etiquette, or thread grammar".

"Thread Etiquette/Thread Grammar" reads to me "Thread, etiquette or thread, grammar".

Not saying a slash is an "or", but that is how I visually "read" that.

Just like you said:
    I write computer code to be easy to read; that seems to cross over into my writing as well.

AAT65 and Lies&Distortion like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it reveals more of the poster, so let it be.

Besides, grammar rules on the internet? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

5. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

There's a member on a guitar forum somewhere, not necessarily TDPRI, that actually wrote his comments phonetically in his thick, deep south, accent! Was interesting to read... IF you could actually understand what he was trying to say LOL!!! ;) Not the best choice in my opinion, but it was creative! :)

Deathray likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I try to write in American standard English. My iPhone defaults to a single space after a sentence. Folks from UK will probably choose the king’s English. Folks unfamiliar with either will do the best they can. Why does this matter in a guitar forum?

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

ole fuzzy.

8. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

This triggers my OCD as well. There’s a certain lack of detail. I think texting grammar (which was were I first noticed a lack of punctuation) has spilled over onto Internet forums.

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't know if some authority somewhere has established proper internet protocol for posting on forums. if they do it will be my pleasure, nay, my duty! to defy that authority all over the place. freedom, baby, that's what the 'byrd is all about.

I "learned to write" to whatever extent I can from a very odd source: Creem magazine. Creem was, on the 1st level, a teenie-bopper rock fan rag, but on the next level it was an organ of subversion. they took absolutely nothing seriously and followed only whatever rules of journalism they felt like following. the articles and reviews often seemed to be scratched together by lunatics. for me, every issue was an adventure and I absorbed all kinds of unorthodoxy.

alas, Creem is long gone, but the internet took it's place.

11. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Ha! That could be him!!! Not sure but it sounds familiar ;)

WisconsinStrings likes this.
  12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

People describe me as curious, as well. Perhaps not in the manner you assert.

But then again, wait - you are "Unixfish" and you are not familiar with online stuff? This confuses me slightly as my intuition says that anyone who invokes "Unix" should be, perhaps, light years ahead of ordinary digital laymen, like perhaps, myself. Unixfish doesn't have a handle on online protocols? Inconceivable!

I was raised by an English teacher, my mother, RIP, who must on occasion be spinning at high rpm's in her grave were she to read some of the things I post. Sometimes, I endeavor to fix what appears to be obvious errors, but then again, I'm no professional proofreader. And sometimes, I am posting from a phone device and the typing and the correction process are fraught with error.

Once upon a time, I started a thread, here, bemoaning what I perceived to be grave grammatical sins, only to be upbraided by the nanny state mentality of others wishing to correct my own grievous transgressions.

Anymore, I just don't care. I try as best I can to keep my house clean, but in reading the work of others, I try to focus only on content and content only, as much as possible. Something along the lines of the "content of their character" famous speech stuff.

I still double space after periods, as my 8th grade typing teacher required. I just realized I never thanked him.

Thank you Mr. Todd, you completely boring, bald milk toast guy! Tonight, I will raise a bottle of beer in your honor!

Greggorios likes this.
  13. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

My / Head / Hurts / After / Just / One / Page

14. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

That's where my mind went too!

Telekarster and Greggorios like this.
  15. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I would suspect that 99% the threads that I start have titles with the first letter of each word capitalized.

Greggorios, Deathray and Piggy Stu like this.
  16. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Sometimes used as an excuse for thickness.

notmyusualuserid and Tony474 like this.
  17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Proper internet protocol is to capitalize the second letter of the thread title.
    Most people defy this, and just look at all the confusion.
    tHread/ eTiquette/ tHread gRammer, see how much gooder that looks?

18. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Not that I start many threads, but the ones I do I intend to Make Them Look Like a Song Title

Greggorios, Obsessed and Straydogger like this.
  19. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Meh. I was raised with the 1950s edition of Strunk & White, a similarly aged Merriam Webster Dictionary, 1945 Encyclopedia Americana and a battered copy of Roget's Thesaurus. They were racked in the kitchen étagère (except for the encyclopedia. BTW, I learned to spell 'encyclopedia' from Jiminy Cricket on The Mickey Mouse Club) and were accessed in the moment if Mom smelled the minutest error in our language or the use thereof. At any moment one might be required to spell or define any given word. Can't? Put down your utensils, pull the requisite reference book and read the applicable entry to the family.

I work with 40-somethings who do not understand sentence structure, capitalization or how homophones affect meaning. After 20yrs of looking at chalk-squeak-on-blackboard formal memos, I gave up.

I's norMal nao.

nojazzhere, Obsessed and Bristlehound like this.
  20. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

0l Fuzzy

to the topic OP, my take is that things that make us feel uncomfortable are good for us.. they force our brains to work on things that it was taking for granted and these moments offer an opportunity to confirm or deny things we have accepted... in this case, you are jumping to confirm (your preference) but for me, I say go farther and really question it... when I do that, it is exhilarating ESPECIALLY if I get to change my mind.

Telekarster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.