1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thread about guns reminded me of a childhood stupidity.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Jan 13, 2021.

1. REWTX

REWTX Tele-Meister

No but we made potato launchers out of pvc powered by AquaNet hairspray.

2. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

Potato launchers!!!!!!!!! My ex BIL and me made one. Except we were 40. Those things are fabulous.

mexicanyella and Coloradotwanger like this.
  3. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

A childhood friend used to make "marble cannons." He would take a threaded length of galvanized pipe, an end that screwed on the threaded end, and drill a small hole in the end. He would drill a small hole in the screw-on end, and thread a firecracker fuse through the hole. Down the pipe would go a wad of paper, a marble or handful of BBs, and another paper wad. To fire, light the fuse! It wasn't very accurate, but we terrorized the rabbits in the fields near my house (can't remember ever hitting one).

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Probably a good thing we didn't actually have any guns in the house when I was in grade school. We lived in the huge metropolis of Royal Iowa then, a town so big only the real athletic kids could throw a rock all the way across town. We got guns when we moved back to Minnesota, I was in the 7th grade then and just smart enough not to shoot myself or anyone else. Although my younger brother shot my jacket once with a 22. If I would've had a gut on me at all it would've got me! But I was skinny and it just passed through the front of my jacket. I wouldn't go hunting with him today!
    I don't hunt anymore but I would go with my other two brothers.

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Boys and fire. . .
    1973 I was in 3rd or 4th grade and the folks sold the restaurant we had, we lived upstairs and bought a big old house. Out back there was a garage, which for reasons I can't explain my dad never parked a car in. (the next two house my folks had also had garages, he never parked in, he's finally actually parking in his garage the last few years)
    So 1973 my little brother and my friends were in the fire stage and down the street was a trucking company, where we got diesel fuel. Being stupid kids we just figured if they used diesel fuel in them big semis, it must be more powerful than gasoline! That bit of stupidity probably saved us all from spending serious time in a hospital burn unit!
    Anyway the garage became our "office" where we'd get together with the other like minded town kids and plan the day's mayhem. The house was owned by a gun collector of sorts, a friend of my dad's that moved about an hour away. Inside the garage he'd left some huge targets that I assume were for 1,000 yard range and a square tin that contained a bag of "black sand" looking stuff, about the size of a 5 gallon bucket. We quickly lost interest in the "black sand" and just left it alone over in a corner.
    A year or two later after getting cought setting things on fire we'd moved on to other things, the former owner shows up. Him and dad are shooting the breeze and he mentioned a keg of gunpowder he left in the garage. We all walk out and sure enough that "black sand" was gunpowder! Dad told him he better take it.
    Guy leaves and the old man looks at me and my idiot brother and says, "I'm just glad you idiots didn't figure out what that was. You would've blown the whole damned town up."
    They say, "the Lord watches out for children and fools", and in my case I believe it!

Grant Austin and telemnemonics like this.
  6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Man, this thread is full of ideas for a weekend. What am I doing sitting here playing guitar?!

7. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

They are a good time!

cenz likes this.
  8. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

Me and my cousin caught a field on fire once. It seems if you get the sparklers with wooden sticks, you can wrap a whole package together in packing tape, and it'll shake all the windows in a good size street. We'd done a few like that, then one we must not have taped just right, because it took off like a rocket and set a field on fire.

Grant Austin and ViciousDoctor like this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Thread about guns reminded me of a childhood stupidity.

I saw that and knew I had to read this thread immediately.

cenz and telemnemonics like this.
  10. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Someone got impaled by a beach umbrella here not too many years ago

11. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

When we were kids, my two younger brothers went into the guest bedroom of our house and handled the rifles and shotguns our dad kept in that room. One of my brothers took a rifle, and began singing Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans." "I fired my gun and the British kept a-comin'" BANG. There was still a bullet in the rifle when he pulled the trigger. Thankfully it was not pointed at our little brother.

When we moved away ten years later, there was still a hole in the wall where the bullet exited the house. No telling where it landed. Perhaps it lodged in a sycamore tree lining the street.

12. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

My dad told a story from his childhood (mid 1950s) about how a friend was showing him his new rifle and accidentally shot his alarm clock.

Another one of my dad's friends had a Walther PPK which I thought was cool as it was James Bond's weapon of choice. It was the first gun I ever held as a kid (late 1970s). Well, about 15 years later this guy (now in his late 40s) was showing it off to another friend in his living room and accidentally shot his piano. It ain't just kids.

13. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Kids have a natural interest in guns.

BEST thing a parent can do is take their children to the range, at an early age and let them fire one!

THAT will imbed HUGE respect for firearms in them, in an INSTANT, with the first round fired! One round fired without ear protection will put the fear of God in them. No longer will a firearm be viewed as a "toy".

If they've never fired one, they will think they're just like on TV - no big deal. Once they hear the power and feel the power... the curiosity is instantly satisfied and they gain real respect for what happens when a REAL gun goes off in your immediate presence!

Then, if they should ever happen into a situation where a real gun is present... they will have respect for the firearm that they never would have had previously! The urge to "pull the trigger" and see what it is like will be seriously tempered! Guaranteed.

Firearms education is vitally important for children and adults. Get educated. Get trained!

Most important guideline is... treat EVERY firearm as if it was loaded and NEVER point it toward anyone or anything you do not wish to destroy. If you just follow those two rules, without fail, you won't cause a firearm accident/tragedy to occur. Two. Simple. Rules!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Rowdyman and 1955 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.