1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thread about guns reminded me of a childhood stupidity.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Jan 13, 2021.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I got guns maybe at seven, but was taking everything apart I think by five.
    Shot gun shells were a no brainer source of powder for bombs, and speaking of no brains I can't recall much of what I blew up.
    I do remember one of my Moms BFs taught me to make pipe bombs with threaded gas pipe and end caps.
    He also brought home a cannon he made at the Navy yard, shot marbles.
    Surviving childhood?
    Like buying a winning scratch ticket weekly for fifteen years.
    Never really even got hurt that badly.
    No Dad to teach me much either, but my Mother did teach me some gun safety stuff.
    Plus I regularly got news of local kids who got shot, shot themselves, blew themselves up (hands mostly), and one kid walked in on his dad as dad shot himself on purpose. That particular family, dad and three boys all had self inflicted gunshot wounds, but only Brian in my class survived. As an adult he wore a Halloween mask on top of his head, to cover his disfigured face if you went up to his house.
    He sat on his porch like that, maybe 50 feet from the road.

Sorry!
    That's the local gunpowder legacy!

I never shot myself or anyone else, never shot out windows or damaged property, but I do regret killing critters for fun.

I was out hunting once with the cannon maker and my .22 had a funny safety I never used, just left it uncocked and flipped the bolt to **** it when needed. It was a pull twist on the end of the bolt. He said I should keep the safety on so I could be ready to fire silently, and at one point I checked the safety because it looked off, and the bolts firing pin assembly slipped just as he moved his foot in line with the muzzle.
    It didn't fire but it sure felt like a close call.

Stubee, 1955 and electrichead like this.
  2. telemnemonics

I didn't really like my Ruger single six because I had to **** it before firing.

Hey why can't I **** it here?

****?

BobbyZ, electrichead and Flat6Driver like this.
  3. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Bad, bad boy... cåck-a-doodle-doo! :lol:

I had a single six .22 at one time. Fun little plinker. But, of course, you have to cåck-a-doodle-doo every time you want to get one off. ;) Traded it for some semi-auto or other a good while back... probably a Browning Buck Mark.

Bassman8 and telemnemonics like this.
  4. telemnemonics

Yeah I traded the single toward a Ruger semi auto .22, but handguns didn't stick as a passion.
    No comment on the action, learned my lesson the fourth time...

5. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

You just summed up my childhood. My son would be one of the first to succumb to the apocalypse unless he could somehow escape to a safe place on his skateboard with his phone and xbox.

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

We used to get together for winter war games in our snowmobile suits and helmets with full face bubble shields. BB guns, of course, with the stipulation they had to be single pump. One of those multi pump Crosmans might have been dangerous, after all!

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Ha! I can tell that a lot of us could have been been great friends growing up; if we could have made it past grade school.
    My dad had a great way of talking through clenched teeth, when many times what I deserved was a beating.
    Most of those talks started out
    "boy what were...":(:rolleyes:

BobbyZ and Grant Austin like this.
  8. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

You can caulk a gun, but not **** a gun. Can you **** a caulk gun?

BobbyZ likes this.
  9. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Some cousins of mine were completely fearless as children. The one “event” that even I would not participate in was... just after a good hard rain, one of the ditches in front of their farm would become a temporary raging river. There was a spot where two driveways crossing the ditch were only 30’ or so apart. The raging water would whirlpool into the culvert running under the first driveway, come out the other side and whirlpool between the driveways before passing through the second culvert and gushing out the far end and on down the ditch. Those crazy kids would put on a life jacket (safety first!!) and dive into the first whirlpool. The water would suck them through the first culvert and the life jacket would pop them up between the driveways just long enough for a quick gasp of air before sucking them through the second culvert and shooting the out the far side.

Stubee, BobbyZ, Grant Austin and 2 others like this.
  10. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Having a young son, all these stories are terrifying me.

BobbyZ, Grant Austin and Bassman8 like this.
  11. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

I once shot a friends "BB gun" at a 2by4 thinking the BB would embed like my .22 pellet gun did, it didn't... came right back hit my glasses and showered my eyeball with shards.

BobbyZ and Bassman8 like this.
  12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

No bad gun experiences but an interesting ax experience. When I was seven, a guy who lived two houses down and I were playing in another person's yard and discovered the landowner's double-headed axe leaning against a tree. Gotta play with that sucker! The other guy took the first round, whacking at sticks for a while. Eventually I said, "It's my turn," and stepped up with my hand out. The kid looked at me with dead eyes, swung the axe, and hit me in the skull with it. Boink. My scalp opened up and I was carted off to the emergency room. It left a cool scar up in my hair that is now revealed by the march of time and receding of my hairline. What of the kid? He immediately ran off and my parents cautioned me to not play with him. We didn't sue friends, either the kid or landowner, back then. Two months later the kid and his family moved off the street. We didn't keep up with him but a neighbor did. Six months after that he chopped his sister's hand almost completely off at the wrist with a hatchet.

But we were properly trained to use and respect firearms by my father. He was a brilliant environmental engineer, 160 IQ. When he went off to war he was just considered a geeky East Tennessee hillbilly with glasses by his Navy training battalion. Then he qualified as a sharpshooter and shot top of his class. He carried the battalion's guidon and took General George Patton's salute as a result. So, this is who trained me. At Christmastime he would set up a box filled with newspaper shreds at one end of the living room. We would press primers into Speer plastic bullets and shoot them across the living room from my father's .44 magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk that, in a wonderfully mangled quote from Geoffrey Chaucer, he called "Sweet Lips." Once when I decided to try my hand I loaded the pistol, cocked the hammer, held it in the dueler's vertical stance, and then settled my finger over the trigger before I lowered the pistol to shoot. Or maybe I should say I thought about settling my finger over the trigger, because that's all it took. My dad had a friend who was a gunsmith who had tuned the trigger on that particular pistol. My ghost pressure on the trigger set it off, and the plastic bullet whacked into the ceiling above my head and dropped, leaving a perfectly round, black, 1/4" deep, 0.429 inch diameter indentation in the frosty white ceiling.

My father loved us boys and we loved him, so I had to report it to him. He took a look, gently reiterated the rule about not putting your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire, and then deliberately left the little circle in the ceiling as a reminder. It is still there to this day.

I grew up with my father's Winchester Model 1892 lever action rifle hanging over the fireplace in my room. My dad said, "Son, please don't touch that rifle," so I didn't. I never laid a finger on it until I inherited it fifty years later. That was an interesting realization. That was the item I wanted the most when my father died because it seemed to represent his quiet, gentle strength to me. Funny, huh?

Bob

Stubee, BobbyZ, tomkatf and 7 others like this.
  13. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Reading this thread while watching my brother sitting a few feet away loading a black powder pistol cylinder.

BobbyZ likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

Caulk guns I prime, and un **** after use.

BobbyZ and Flat6Driver like this.
  15. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

Just because other folks are posting about lawn darts...

When I was a kid, I purchased some lawn darts from a yard sale. I was probably 14. I was bored on day and would heave the darts as high as I could straight up in the air. I was smart enough not to try to catch them. But I would stand still and watch it go up, turn, and come down. If it was too close, I would take a step back.

One time, it was too close and I misjudged it. It when through my shoe and foot, pinning it to the ground. I pulled it out and ran screaming to the house.

I cannot remember what my parents said, but I think it was to the effect of "that's what you get, wash it out with rubbing alcohol or it'll get infected, and I'm throwing them away".

I was very sad that I lost my lawn darts that day :( and my shoes had a hole in them for the rest of the summer.

BobbyZ, telemnemonics and duzie like this.
  16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Falling while carrying an 8" screw driver, could be deadly. Swinging a golf club near an unaware bystander could be deadly. Slipping while mowing the wrong but intuitive way on a slope can be deadly. Driving and texting can be deadly. Survival skills may not be about cancelling deadly activities, but something else.

BobbyZ, Frodebro and Grant Austin like this.
  17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Boys will be boys....
    [​IMG]

We used to make pistols out of a short pipe with and elbow for a handle. Put a firecracker in and a few pebbles.

Stubee, BobbyZ, Frodebro and 3 others like this.
  18. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

Not gun related but this thing here has probably caused more childhood damage than any firearm E4D90E3D-6F56-4909-9CF4-CC8CE11DDF36.jpeg

BobbyZ, teletail, REWTX and 5 others like this.
  19. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Oh man... memories.

I was the oldest of four brothers who grew up in the 70s and 80s with all sorts of weaponry at our disposal.

We made swords (my grandfather had a large metal grinder which you could shape a piece of metal into a sword with), bows and arrows (some of the arrows had metal tips from the broken swords), spears (See the note about metal tips) and a cannon once out of a piece of 6" metal pipe that had a cap on one end. How we all grew to adulthood with all of our fingers is still a mystery to me.

Best BB gun story.

My brother and I both had those air rifles so BB gun battles were often arranged with the neighborhood kids in the nearby fields. One field in particular was somewhat overgrown and had lots of hiding places for said battles. So one day we are out playing in the field when a mean old man with a tractor and a bush hog shows up to cut down the field. He runs us out and tells us that we are on private property and that we could be arrested for being on his land. He then proceeds to knock down a cardboard castle we had built and ran over it with his bush hog shredding our hard work that morning.

We left dejected until Jeff the neighbor boy decides we need revenge. So my brother, Jeff and his brother and myself sneak back toward the field and take up position in the tree line hidden from site. We were paced probably fifteen yards apart and Jeff says he is going to shoot the guy on the tractor with his air rifle. He pumps up about six times (each time he pumped our eyes got a little bigger) and then he took aim and shot the old man on the tractor in the back. We saw the puff on the back of the old man's jacket right before he reached back and brushed his back with his hand. The old man never even looked back at us.
    Well with that happening we decide it is a good thing to shoot the old man each time he was driving away from us. It was going well until my brother's shot went high and hit the man in the cap. At that point he shut down the tractor and took his hat off and scratched his head looking around. He then proceeded to swat as some bugs that were hovering around the tractor, got back into the seat and went back to work. We were all giggling in the woods at our ruthlessness.
    All good things have to come to and end and we all decided to shoot at the same time, four BB's hit the guy and the gig was up. He shut that tractor down and turned and looked for us and must have spotted someone as he started running out direction. We lit out of there as fast as we could knowing if he caught us we would be in big trouble.

BobbyZ likes this.
  20. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

New band name

BobbyZ, ale.istotle and dogmeat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.