THR10II likes/dislikes, can I

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by DrPepper, Sep 28, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like the clean tone, no effects or reverb/echo. I dislike that what I hear through the headphones is different.

I like what I hear through the headphones, could I connect the amp via the headphone jack to another source of amplification? (frfr powered speakers, amplifiers, etc)

THR as a preamp, anybody?

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

It can be done, and I think there are people gigging with one into a speaker thru the headphone out. There must be a vid on YouTube about this.

As for headphones: I know, but I think it's inevitable. The physics involved seem to negate the possibility of you having the same experience with free ears listening to a loudspeaker vs having headphones.

PhredE likes this.
  3. DrPepper

Makes sense, I should just play with amp placement... and wait for a tweed Tonemaster.

4. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

There are/may be other differences but I've had a THR5 and THR10 and mostly understood the love for them around here. Sounded a bit "digital" to my ear, especially with the onboard verb, but still among the most pleasant tiny desktop combos that I've been aware of.

Following similar logic and encouraged by good reviews, I bought a THR100HD several years ago. It was competent but for me contained none of the same magic as the THR5/10. That is, I think some of the THR5/10 magic is really magic for the size and package. Unless it absolutely must be silent, I'm back to tubes.

PaulNYC, DrPepper and RadioFM74 like this.
  5. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

This ^

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I totally share the sentiment and subscribe every word. Great little desktop/travel amp. But let's not ask too much of the platform ;D

Drew617 likes this.
  7. DrPepper

OK, with this guitar, I am liking this amp. It was primarily purchased for use with headphones and it excels at that purpose for me. I am good ampwise for now and can concentrate on the next dream.

The Money pit is now a success with its newish neck and work done. Acrually, I shouldn't call it The Money Pit anymore, it's now my number 1... Even over the acoustic, and that is a feat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.