1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

THR10C Gut Shots

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by keithb7, Jan 27, 2021.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I tripped over a cord and knocked my THR on the floor. Works normal still but I see the power jack on the back took some trauma. Doing investigative surgery to decide on next steps.

Here you can see the guts. Going to match up a new power plug socket. This one is cracked. Will solder in the replacement. Yay! Solid state amps....

Attached Files:

Foxbat, kaludjerko, Milspec and 8 others like this.
  2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Ok new plan....Not an easily sourced power socket. Fixed it though! Here's what I did:

Removed sub board assy. Heated solder at power socket connections at PCB. Removed solder with solder sucker. Removed power socket. Located broken off connector pin on power socket where supposed to connect to the PCB. Tossed it aside. Cleaned up metal contact on power socket. Took very small piece of wire. Stripped it completely. Soldered one end to the broken power socket. Tinned all. Now I had a new stiff connection. Re-inserted all into PCB and soldered all 3 connections into place. Voila. All fixed! Hackery at it finest. The THR10C works like a champ again.

3. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Well done, McGyver!

Great series of amps, too.

4. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Thanks guys. It was a fun, rewarding little project.

Well sorta...The Class A setting is my favourite. An old Champ is a class A amp! No?

El Marin and DougM like this.
  5. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth TDPRI Member

Interesting. Always wondered what it looked like inside. Glad I don’t have to find out the hard way... touch wood. I’d read that the aux and input sockets are also prone to damage if the plug is pulled sideways, because of the ‘on PCB’ mounting. I did wonder when I saw your post if you’d be able to source parts. I like the deluxe setting on this with a strat, on the 10x I like power l/ll but dialed in clean ish.... great amps.

6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the interior pics - always wondered what it’s like in there! Great to see that you found a workaround to the problem.
    And it didn’t involve duct tape!!

nicknklv and keithb7 like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Thanks for showing! On the 10c I like the AC30 and the Deluxe copy. I play it all the time.

8. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

@tfarny Which setting is supposed to be the AC30?

I got:

Deluxe: Black Face Deluxe Reverb Amp?
    Class A: Matchless DC30?
    US Blues: Fender Blues Jr?
    Brit Blues: Marshall Blues Breaker?
    Mini: Dr. Z mini?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    DougM likes this.
  9. maj34

maj34 Tele-Meister

Hey Keith B'y:

A few years back I had problems with my THR-10 and thought I needed a power socket. Much like you, I ended up soldering something to fix it. I even forget what the issue was now.

But at one point I had contacted Yamaha tech support. It was a bit of a hail mary but I had asked them for the technical manual for the amp (which they actually provided to me, schematics, everything).

They offered for me to send it to them, but when I told them I couldn't justify the shipping and that I was very comfortable with electronics, they offered to send me the part for free.

Again, as it turned out, I ended up fixing it without the part... but long story short, and for future reference for anyone who might happen by here: I wouldn't hesitate to contact Yamaha tech support if i needed something.

Confused. Mine is nothing like my 5F1!?

(Joke. Bad joke.)

hemingway and keithb7 like this.
  10. dimmy

dimmy TDPRI Member

Another way to look at it is to look at the tubes each setting emulate (https://usa.yamaha.com/support/faq/guitars_basses/7781.html)

Deluxe (6L6)
    Class A (EL84)
    US Blues (EL84)
    British Blues (KT88)
    MINI (Boutique like- EL84)

11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

A Matchless DC30 is a souped up AC30, so I believe that's the one he was referring to. My THR10/10C/10X manual says the British setting on the 10C is an EL34 type amp. The manual doesn't say these, but I read somewhere the same amps that @keithb7 specifies for the 10C, maybe it was on the Yamaha website. I usually use the Deluxe setting on my THR10C, but lately I've been digging the Blues Jr. one too. It has a little beefier sound with more mids and is a little less scooped. I usually use them all clean with an overdrive pedal in front.

kaludjerko likes this.
  12. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Can't even guess how many times I've knocked mine onto the floor. Tough little buggers.

For an amp that sounds that good, though, I can't help wishing they'd make one with slightly bigger speakers for a bit more bottom. But I don't know how much bigger it would need to be to make a real difference.

13. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I agree. It sounds really good, but compared to a full sized amp, it won’t really fill a room with sound. I find it works best sitting on a desktop pointing directly at my head...... . it works especially well with a set of big headphones.

I wish I could find a full sized amp that could do what the THR does.

Nice peek inside......I hope I never have to see the inside mine.

hemingway likes this.
  14. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Really enjoying the THR10C jamming along with this guy’s tracks. Many are nice and long. Quickest way I know to make 15 mins flash by...Jamming with a new scale to learn.

15. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I guess you could plug the line out into a full range powered baffle. Since the line out is stereo, you could even go stereo: for sure you would fill the space in the room.

Jbnaxx likes this.
  16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I use two in stereo, with 2 different delay times, and they sound much fuller and bigger than just one. And more open too. When Yamaha released the THRII series and the THR10C was discontinued, my local dealer put them on sale for $220, and I got their last 2.

17. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I have the THR 10 II. The line outs are only on the THR 30.

The THR 100 heads have similar features but are kinda pricey..... If a used ever turned up, I would be tempted.

18. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I’ve got the smaller thr-5 with no line out too, but all you have to do is plug into the headphone out. It works as a line out, but it just cuts the sound from the internal speakers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.