THR 10C Issue

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by howlin, Apr 30, 2019.

1. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I just bought a used Yamaha THR 10C. Overall it's great. My only concern is when it's set on the US Blues setting there is a significant drop in volume. I can reset the dials and get it to a usable volume but I'm pretty sure that this shouldn't be happening. Anyone else have this problem? If so, did you find a solution?
    Thanks.

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have the same amp and yes the levels are different. You can change them via the editing software. I think, but since I only use it for quiet noodling, I can't be bothered with all that myself.

Danjabellza likes this.
  3. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was only thinking about if/when I decide to sell it. I'm not into selling something that's broken - at least not knowingly.

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yah it's an annoying issue but not that big of a deal since you're probably never going to be using it in a performance situation where you need to switch them on the fly and keep the volume the same.

I have a THR5, on mine the volume levels generally start low on "Clean" (Fender) and gradually go up as you go up to the more gainy models.. it's a huge difference in volume between the Clean (Fender) and Modern (Mesa) models if you just switch and don't go reset all the knobs.

It is pretty annoying if you're in a room practicing/jamming/taking a lesson with someone else. Just leads to extra unnecessary button pushing & dial adjusting.

5. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

I think this volume thing (among others) is about the whole idea of the THR10 concept. It is the same for the tone circuit in the different "models". They work in a different way for each amp and that is very much intended.
    The THR10 can be seen as nothing but a fairly big computer which simulates not the sound of a certain amp but the electronic circuitry for that amp.

At least I think so. :)

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  6. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Tele-Meister

The THR series is great but they are quite a few years old now (7 years or so?), especially for an item that embraces newer "technology" and I think Yamaha need to update this series, adding things like Bluetooth and taking into account user experience/feedback, etc.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have to say I love the Matchless emulation on the C model with my Teles for low level fun.

aux8 likes this.
  8. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

... like rze99 said, different amp models have different gain levels; for sure install the THR Editor to tweak and save in presets.

9. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Yeah. Very different volumes across each amp model. The volumes/gain stages and EQ stacks are drastically different depending on which model you use.

10. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

I have a THR5, it has not the same channels as yours, but has the same issue, the volume drop between clean and higher gain is brutal.

I think you can solve the problem on your model tweaking the presets with the Yamaha Editor (mine has not that functionality).

11. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

This. I have the 10c and this is normal

12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

It is neither an issue or a problem. Yamaha meant to do that. Some amps are quieter than others. Yamaha has reflected that in the THR10. If the volume levels were all the same, they wouldn't be an accurate representation of those amp styles. Of course the high gain setting is louder. That's what makes it high gain.

I tend to always use the same setting with mine. It's a practice amp for me, not an alternative to having those actual amps.

13. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

I see. But it's annoying the same way...

14. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Very much yes.

Also a looper, at the end of the chain, so you can record rhythm say, as one kind of amp / settings / effects, play that back and play over it / record more layers with others. Some simple built in drum backing tracks with tap tempo would be cool too.

Pax/
    Dean

15. aux8

aux8 Tele-Meister

Me too. I overwrote the #1 preset to be the Matchless/Vox/Class A model with some compression.

The US Blues setting is generally my least favorite.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.