1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thoughts re best Complementary Stones guitarist?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Ripradiant, Aug 25, 2016.

1. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

I've heard Michael Schencker thrown into that mix. I don't know if he actually played with them or if it was just thrown out there. I heard him say in an interview that as a 19 year old German he didn't think he was ready to go out with a big British/international band.

In his book, Keith says that when they decided, one of the factors was that they decided they wanted an Englishman. But if you listen to Wayne Perkins on the song Hand of Fate, it makes you wonder about the possibilities.

Coop47 likes this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Izzy Stradlin. Not joking.

blowtorch, Grabsplatter and RevMike like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Gimme Mick (T).

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

It was the best era because it had the best songs - none of which Mick Taylor wrote.

When people say "Mick Taylor was the man dude !!" they should just say "I like a traditional lead blues player who inserts his fiddle-y dee's in all the empty spots..."

He could be an over-playing robot onstage and they kept him on a short leash in the studio.

I've said this before and I'll say it again : If Ronnie Wood had been in the band from '69-'74, those records/songs would have been just as good.

5. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I've always thought that "Summer Romance" from "Emotional Rescue" is a good example of the Keith-Ronnie guitar weaving. But maybe I'm on dope.

6. portsider

portsider Tele-Meister

I really don't see how Brian can be questioned. He made the Stones the Stones.
    I say that even though it was Mick on Let it Bleed, the greatest rock album of all time. Yeah, that's pretty subjective, but I stand by it.
    Ronnie has just never made an impression on me, nothing against him just never noticed him.
    I recall an interview with Jeff Beck. He said the stones asked him to join and he went abroad (I forget where) to see them and he found himself at an audition. He was insulted and left.

7. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

1) I kind of agree with your assessment of Let it Bleed, most days, but I think Mick T plays less guitar on it than people realize. I'm just not sure, but I think its a lot of Keith.

2) The story I've heard is that the Stones asked Jeff Beck to jam with them and he did and afterwards he found at that the jam was an audition and that he'd known it was an audition he would not have been interested in the job.

8. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

I don't think that live performance of songs like Love in Vain or Midnight Rambler would have reached the heights they did without Mick T.

thunderbyrd and DonM like this.
  9. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I still maintain that Ronnie was taylor-made (no pun intended) for that spot. Taylor is a monster guitar man in every way, don't get me wrong, but he was a square peg in a round hole and I think he even knew it. The Faces were an amazing band, that influenced a lot more bands than people realize. And I think if you listen to The Faces stuff...you can here influence that Ronnie had on the Stones going into the late 70's. There's a video of them on youtube playing "Sweet little rock and roller" with Keith sitting in, from around the time or maybe just before he joined the Stones. One of the greatest jams of all time in my humble opinion. You can see even then, that it was a match made in R&R heaven.

I think Ron had the "I'd better not mess this up" attitude when he joined the band, and while a killer in his own right, accepted his position as #2 in the band. I think this is what led to his success and longevity with the band. I've heard him refer to Keith and Mick as the "Board of Directors" a few times. That about sums it up.

Ripradiant likes this.
  10. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

I think Taylor only plays on 'Live With Me' & 'Honky Tonk Women' (which of course was a non-album single).

Believe George Thorogood was also in the running.

11. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

Unfortunately, I think that his I'll accept this #2 position in the band attitude led him to not fulfill his potential with the Stones. I don't know what it is, and I'm speculating here, but I think Mick and Keith have strong personalities, Keith in particular, and Ronnie knew that aside from guitar duties, his job was to bridge those two personalities and not rock the boat.

I've been thinking about this a little more- I love the Stones as much as any band, but the more I think about it, they're kinda weird. Here's what I mean- did Ronnie ever get to sing lead since joining the Stones? Why not? Why did all the songs have to be Jagger-Richards? I gather that Mick Taylor always had a beef over not getting credit for Sway. Ronnie was a blues fan and a Chuck Berry fan just like Keith, why couldn't he sing a song once in a while? And why didn't they think that guys like Taylor and Wood wouldn't want to write, if they're dedicating their efforts full time to the Stones. I remember from Keith's book (if I'm remembering correctly) Keith said that during one of the tours where they had Billy Preston, he told Billy hey Billy, it ain't Billy Preston and the Rolling Stones, knock it off with the extra jazzy stuff, play stones songs. And look at the solo careers of Mick and Keith- they also seem kinda constrained. I realize that the desire to pursue solo stuff at various times was a source of friction, but I would think that each of them would have had the desire to do a little more. I guess my point is, by the time Ronnie joined, they were very rigid and Ronnie was put in his place, Mick T having left deciding he wasn't satisfied in his place, and there were some missed opportunities there. Brian couldn't have been put in his place because he thought it was his band.

Have a look at these- I feel like you don't ever see this sort of stage presence from Ronnie when he's with the Stones.

The other I wanted to attach was Ronnie playing with Buddy Guy and Johnny Lang at the Crossroads festival- not Miss You, but Ronnie's solo on Five Long Years. Can't find it though.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    RevMike and Ripradiant like this.
  12. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

"Larry F (this is what I've heard)"

Word on the street is Larry F wanted to change the Melodic Minor intro in "Paint It Black" to Phyrgian Dominant mode and Charlie wouldn't have anything to do with it. Just saying.

thunderbyrd and RevMike like this.
  13. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

I don't know if it's true, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Ronnie Wood is still not a full member, but just a hired hand, as it were.

Reminds me of the old story about Keith Moon. Apparently, the Who never told him he had the job, so whenever he was asked about being their drummer, he would reply that he was just filling in 'til they found someone. Seems more than a few people think he believed that was the case. Sad really. They were never the same once he'd passed.

14. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

I'm pretty sure that he is a full member (a full member of the entity that collects and distributes the money) but became one more recently than you'd think- yeah, I just checked the wikipedia and it was 1990. 1990! Jeepers.

RevMike likes this.
  15. RetroRocker

RetroRocker TDPRI Member

Mick Taylor. Just watch Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones. Fire!!!

thunderbyrd likes this.
  16. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I feel like they should make that same offer to Darryl Jones. He's been there longer than Wood was when he got the deal....

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Drummers don't know no Phyrgian Dominants!

(Just kidding, the drummer in one of my bands is a much better guitarist than either of the two of us who actually play guitar in that band)

adeiderich likes this.
  18. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

Yep, 1975-1990 as a hired hand wouldn't do anyone's self esteem much good.

19. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

I've thought about this a little more since giving my initial answer of I don't know, they're all good. The correct answer is Mick Taylor, as shown by this video- a hot band at its peak, with plenty of the Keith crunch there, but something really special on top. And while people say that maybe Ronnie does the weaving with Keith better, I think Mick T's virtuosity pushed Keith to do what he does even better.

big jimmy and thunderbyrd like this.
  20. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yep, that's the way i heard it. Keith told him "I hear "Yes" is looking for a guitar player..."

adeiderich likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.