thoughts - quality, value, work needed; 1962 6G5-A Pro

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have followed them for years. Stopped bidding on one in early 2000's at $400. To me they are a Concert without the Concert. SS rectifier etc. I have the BF version a 1 x 15 Pro and it has a rectifier tube.
SO I dont know... I cant really see the aesthetics much based on those pics, but I would probably jump at $700 'as is' in today's world. they want that much+ for Bassman head now vs $500 and up before the .... 'interruption'....

The Brown Pro's I have played are pretty sterile sounding amps. I'm not sure why, I never got into it that much. Great steel guitar amp though.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
“Vintage Price guide "excellent condition" low end is $1400”

That “excellent condition” means excellent cosmetic condition with all-original components, tolex, and grille cloth. From what I have seen, that definition has come to mean excellent cosmetic condition even if the tolex and cloth have been changed and with little regard for originality of Major components such as transformers and speakers. Imho, the vintage amp market of today needs to take some notes from other vintage markets and adhere to some strict guidelines. There is no way I wou”d assess that amp anywhere the top of ‘excellent and all-original’ value. Ommv…

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
"Vintage Price guide "excellent condition" low end is $1400" - I have not seen one listed for less than $2500 online in the past 3 years, however those amps are usually in better condition and are working.
Most of us who have done work on and bought/sold vintage amps over the last 25+ years have tended to lean heavily on the Vintage Price Guide...then added eBay's "Sold items" when they finally added them...

But now Reverb's "sold items" prices seem to be the benchmark players go by - no matter how badly hacked an amp may be like this one. At a Vintage Guitar Show 5-6 years ago this WOULD have been a $700 amp at best, because more experienced and price-educated shoppers were wandering the aisles.

Nowadays non-players with no experience are told casually by some player to look at prices on reverb.com...but without "sold" items being mentioned. So they end up looking at the HIGHEST listing prices, or understanding the effects recovering, baffle/grille replacement, transformer replacement and other non-reversible (a key hyphenated word even many on forums such as this seem not to understand...or choose to ignore) have on "reality" pricing.

Items can be...and have been as gags... listed for whatever absurd number a seller wants. Some fake listings have been posted in hopes of driving up the market price, an abhorrent practice.

But other ridiculously high prices are listed by dealers trying to drive up prices; by players who think their prized Les Paul Studio and a Standard are the same thing (an honest mistake) or look in the vintage price guide and use the highest "excellent condition" price - never reading the "How to use this Guide" section and thereby not understanding their recent enamel paint job reduces the price by 50% (and other errors).

In this situation, it turned out the owners who inherited the amp - had been told about Reverb, checked th listing prices and even after having reality(how pricing works and the condition of their amp)explained very kindly to them by the shop owner simply walked out, convinced they would get 4-5x as much elsewhere.

And they already hit the wall at a second shop who told them EXACTLY the same thing - what items reduced the selling price permanently and what repairs were needed before the could be used safely for player, amp, or both. The few remaining guitar stores around here are not stupid, and if they run into a suspicious item they call one of the 6 or 7 local techs - most of whom trade stories weekly and run into the same customers.

I have no interest in buying it and really don't want these people bringing it to me - which hopefully won't happen. I retired, and I only do limited work for a few old bandmates and friends. Hopefully none of my buddies will get stuck working on it either.

Thanks for all the input-

tele_savales

Tele-Afflicted
It's hard for me to believe any Brownface amp is 1400 bucks in excellent condition, given what I see SF and BF amps go for, and given these are way harder to find. What price guide is this?

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It's hard for me to believe any Brownface amp is 1400 bucks in excellent condition, given what I see SF and BF amps go for, and given these are way harder to find. What price guide is this?

He is citing Vintage Guitar Price Guide. I do not have a current VG guide….my latest is from 2017. However, I too would be surprised if the current VG guide shows the low end of Exc/orig value at $1400. The 2017 VG guide shows the 6G5/6G5A amps in Exc/all orig with a range of $2300-3100. The current Reverb.com asking price range is above that…..sometimes by quite a bit. I did not see the sold price history.
Non-originality of the amp in this thread brings value down a great deal, ime.

Last edited: