Thoughts on vintage MXR Analog Delay and MXR Flanger?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gmm52, Dec 13, 2019.

1. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

I know someone who is thinking of selling two old MXR pedals. I've done some googling, but haven't come up with any good insight as to whether they're worth pursuing. I know some old pedals are noisy, and I haven't had a chance to try them. In any event, opinions would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    upload image

thunderbyrd and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I love MXR pedals—old and new ones...I don’t know if the price(s) are good, but if they’re in good shape, you like them and you can afford them, I’d get them...

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

A lot of these older delays do not give you 100% dry signal-through at all times. That "MIX" control means at 12 o'clock, you have 50% wet and 50% dry.

As you turn the knob clockwise, the delay sound gets louder, BUT the dry signal is decreased by the same amount.

The first thing to do is turn the "REGEN" knob down for a single repeat, then turn the "MIX" up all the way. If you only hear the repeat, then you'll have to decide whether that's acceptable.

4. a.francis.1968

a.francis.1968 TDPRI Member

Those are late 70s pedals before the led's were fitted, they are fantastic tough as old boots they have worked the streets for 40 odd years they know the score. To think back to the day when this was all you had so your Van Halens, Grateful Dead, Rhandy Rhoads etc etc this is what they used and do you love those sounds or the sterile clone in today's sleek clothing. Buy them if you don't like them you won't lose anything as they hold their value, you can tell the dates on the control pots and the circuit board is dated to. They are in nice condition, buy them, take the black knobs off and give them a clean and polish up the casing, some Lemon Pledge will put a nice waxy coat on em, a little switch cleaner in the pots and probably inside is some disintegrating foam to pick out and replace and your good to go. You wont regret buying them seriously treat yourself...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  5. eslover

eslover Tele-Meister

There was a time when I really liked the MXR flanger, had one in the mid-80's and it nails that EVH swoop thing exactly.
    But as I continued to play through it the intense (pronounced?) swooshing was just too much and would give me headaches at times. It wasn't until much later that I learned not all flangers have this quality.
    There was also a noticeable volume jump when the pedal is engaged that I remember was hard for me to control.

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

I have one of those MXR flangers from the 80s... no battery, 120AC only. I never noticed a volume change when flipping on/off except when used on a miked up acoustic guitar and then it was dramatic.

they worth anything? I'd sell mine since I don't use it. perfect for the intro to "Peg"

7. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

anything that old is going to require *some* servicing. additionally, and this is the part worth noting, replacement SAD1024 chips are not easy to replace due to not only rarity but expense. they're also mains powered. so this comes down to desire and money. if the money is right and your desire is high, OK ... go after it. me, personally, there's better and cheaper analog delays and flangers out there for what these tend to go for in working order and those aren't on mains power.

8. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I have the MXR Flanger - the one one you displayed first, mains powered.

It's the greatest flanger I ever had, and I wouldn't part with it, even if I barely use it. It also does excellent chorus tones. A BOSS BF2 is a toy in comparison...

If I were you, I would ASAP grab both (Flanger and Delay) if they are sold at an affordable price and in fully working condition !

-tbln

9. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the replies. Will help me in giving them consideration.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.